Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I would definately be interested if you do a fork upgrade...i could use one...thanks....

Ballstein Models

SCORE!!! Joining the C-Dale MT800 front.

Craigslist deal of the day here. $400 for this:

The Official Cannondale Thread-img_0532.jpg

We've had a cruiser tandem for years and the spouse has been buggin me to get a real MTB tandem. Of course I was all in for an ECDM 29er but I figured I'd test the waters first.

It came on slicks with a pair of wally seats. MAde some changes to get it ready for a real trail. Test this weekend.

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

2006 mt1000

Just picked up this 2006 MT1000, XL/M. Had a great time doing a couple of local rides here in Santa Cruz and decided to get a front shock. Picked up a Manitou Marvel Pro on sale and had the first ride yesterday. Also put on a shorter stem. Ride was a bit soft and bouncy so I'll need to make some adjustments to the shock and the stem felt too short. Felt like I was pushing the front end through the turns, especially uphill switchbacks. Will probably go back to the longer stem. Appreciate any feedback on the front shock. Our combined weight is around 320lbs and while not aggressive riders, we've been riding most of what we ride on our single bikes.

Doug

The Official Cannondale Thread-p1030642.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by XDEADGOATX View Post
    I would definately be interested if you do a fork upgrade...i could use one...thanks....
    The fork ended up working out for us. It’s nicely damped for our weight. So I'll keep it on the bike until the performance degrades. I don't plan to break it down or rebuilt then due to parts not being readily available.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

A couple of videos

A couple of videos of us out having fun on the Tandem. You know what they say a family that rides a tandem together sticks together.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/100044261@N05/9478002214/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/100044261@N05/9481595934/

ALM
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Nice videos. What camera do you use and could you post some pics of how you have it mounted. I am curious of the rear mount behind the stoker where camera goes under water.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ALM View Post
    Nice videos. What camera do you use and could you post some pics of how you have it mounted. I am curious of the rear mount behind the stoker where camera goes under water.

It was a contour camera. The cheaper 1080HD 30FPS 99$ camera. If I had spent more I would not have used it as pretty much a disposable camera. You tend to get better shots if you hang the camera out there not worrying it gets banged up, the cheaper the camera the easier that is to do. It is a tough camera but in the end I did destroy it. It was hung off the bike using a magic arm and a Nano clamp. The camera had a standard 1/4-20 mounting hole that the arm screwed into. The magic arm can be articulated and locked in place. For the video with the water the arm was hung off the rear axle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Re: The Official Cannondale Thread

Cool videos...I enjoyed the sketch drawing look that you layered in. Was that post production editing thing...?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
    Cool videos...I enjoyed the sketch drawing look that you layered in. Was that post production editing thing...?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Yes all pp.

Ballstein Models

The Official Cannondale Thread

Made a few mods. Found some time and my wife and I finally got out for some real singletrack. Had a blast. Things went well. I can see an ECDM 29er in our future. . .

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hogprint View Post
    Made a few mods. Found some time and my wife and I finally got out for some real singletrack. Had a blast. Things went well. I can see an ECDM 29er in our future. . .

Even short, that is still a lot of fork for the late model Cannondale. When you ride an ECDM, 26 or 29, the steering will be so light it will feel like power steering.

If you do buy an ECDM 29, personally, I would rework the fork to fit the 29 wheel.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

Ballstein Models
    Do tell PK about using the F40 as a base for a 29er. Might hasten my upgrade timeline..... (although first on the agenda is a set of stronger internal springs)

The steering wasn't too bad but it was a bit of an effort in low speed, tight corners. She had a blast. I had a blast and I guess that is really the main point, right?

PMK
    mtbr member
    Consider trimming the fork brace so it will fit the tire. F40 has a lot of room as is, so it should not need much trimming.

PK

my dog's Frisbee launcher
    Cannondale 29er....looks good, has anyone rode one?
    Tandem 29 - TANDEM 29 - TANDEMS - RECREATION & URBAN - BIKES - 2014

The Official Cannondale Thread-c14_29m_tndm29_bbq.png
    Darwin was an Optimist

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by befoot View Post
    Cannondale 29er....looks good, has anyone rode one?
    Tandem 29 - TANDEM 29 - TANDEMS - RECREATION & URBAN - BIKES - 2014

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C14_29M_TNDM29_BBQ.png 
Views:	509 
Size:	225.0 KB 
ID:	833794
    The long awaited road tandem models have arrived also and the initial input is that Cannondale substantially upped the price with no value added.

This off roader when I looked at the specs seems to follow that same trend.

The road tandem discussions pretty much go straight to the point that for similar money, other tandem specific brands such as Co-Motion or Santana will provide more bang for the buck.

The comparison to this Cannondale 29r will be most likely be the Fandango 29r. Similar to the road tandems, it will probably show the most bang for the buck is not the Cannondale but rather another American machine, the Fandango.

I took a quick look at the Cannondale specs for components, pretty low end. Pictures can lie, but it sure seems as though the Cannondale is not built around being suspension fork specific type geometry, and it also has what appears to be pretty low clearance for the BB's.

There is a photo kicking around of this bike with a Lefty installed, so maybe it will work in that configuration. Seem strange though that they don't offer a suspension version.

They will sell some no doubt. But my money, would buy another Fandango.

PK

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Good to see this Thread still going strong

MTB Tandem Nut
    I was sort of disappointed when the specs came out, because they basically changed the head tube angle slightly from the road model, but didn't do anything else (which was the knock against the original 26" MT's as well). So as PMK noted, the BB height is still too low for anything other than smooth, non-technical trails and rail trails, etc. It would make for a good gravel tandem though, so maybe that's where they're looking.

Parts spec is certainly lower-end (relatively speaking), but there are some surprisingly good parts on it, like the brakes, and especially the hubs/wheels. The rest appears to be serviceable, if not glitzy. Of course, final spec may differ, so we'll se when they arrive here in final form. Interesting that it's still 9 speed, which makes me feel like less of a retro-grouch.

It's at a great price point though; $2,730.00 MSRP, $2,599.00 low retail, which I can't touch with a Fandango (yet). This price point may be good enough to get folks on them as a first tandem, or casual riders who may not fully use the capabilities of a Fandango or a Ventana. The lower BB will actually make it feel more stable to new riders. If this model becomes a gateway tandem that leads to future upgrades, it's a winner for everyone.

I also don't see accommodation for a suspension fork in the geometry. Also, I have been told directly by a Cannondale engineer that the Lefty is not appropriate for tandem use, not even the SuperMaxx lefty. So if a fork comes out for it, it will likely be a more conventional one. I don't see the bean counters that now run C'dale underwriting the expense of a tandem-specific Lefty, regardless of how cool it would be.

We'll see how it does. I've committed to this model by pre-ordering several of these in the hopes that it opens up a new market by using Cannondale's name and the price point. So I REALLY hope it does well

Either way, nice to see any of the big players getting into our little niche.
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

PMK
    mtbr member
    FWIW, Jeanne and I participated in a ride last weekend. It was a road ride, but the theme is similar.

We were on the Co-Motion and had just completed a respectable climb. At the top of the hill, our group took a short break, regrouped and fielded questions from the other riders on single bikes.

I had one guy asking me questions about our Co-Motion and then he asked about Cannondale tandems. I informed he they did sell them, to which he replied with intent that they were probably the best brand to purchase. He was Cannondale loyal and without knowing tandems, asked if the Cannondales were better machines than the custom Bushnell, and reasonably high end Co-Motions.

Point being, the Cannondales will sell based a lot just on brand loyalty.

As for the Lefty, there is an internet photo of the bike being used by what I thought were Cannondale employees testing the setup on a preproduction machine.

PK

MTB Tandem Nut
    Very true, Paul. And that brand loyalty is what I'm betting will help sell the tandems. As mentioned, if the C'dale works as a gateway tandem, it'll be a great thing for us in the long run, even though we'll probably lose Fandango sales in the short term.

But the bigger picture is that a brand-name company has come back into off-road tandems (sort of), which will bring both attention and some legitimacy in the minds of those unfamiliar with our niche.

Either way, as a bike dealer, it's great to be able to offer options to folks.

Calfee had a lefty on a tandem mtb for some photos, and those photos were what triggered the email from the C'dale engineer.
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

PMK
    mtbr member
    Alex, you may or may not have seen this...Cannondale is and always messin' around.

Based on dates of the post, and if you click the links, it appears this photo was taken many months before the bikes were released. Check post #70 and click the image. Shows it was taken 5 months ago.

New Cannondales Coming - Page 3

Obviously, written stuff that says no Lefty on the tandem will trump the photo...but people are trying.

PK
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Official Cannondale Thread-cannondale-29-lefty.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    From Cannondale's Website under Technology
    Tandem 29 - RECREATION & URBAN - BIKES - 2014

1.5" OPI Fork
    A Cannondale OPI one-piece, hollow, 3D forged fork with a 1.5" steerer provides stable, secure, nimble and responsive handling. Suspension-corrected geometry makes switching to a tandem-rated suspension fork a breeze.

So by being suspension corrected, the frame is ready to go and adding a suspension fork shouldn't impact the geometry. Should I assume they mean for a 100mm fork and nothing more?

to pedal or not to pedal
    Nov 2009
    Hi all,
    I'm considering purchasing a 10 (or so) year old MT2000 located several hundred miles away from home. Sizing issue....the bike is a large/med. A ride a Cdale Touring and Rush in a large of the same vintage and they fit like a glove. All this would seem to be a no-brainer except every other bike I own/ride is a medium. Does the tandem maintain this tradition of having a "compact" cockpit relative to other manufacturers? I'm 5'8". Any helpful guidance would be most appreciated. Thanks!

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reed523 View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm considering purchasing a 10 (or so) year old MT2000 located several hundred miles away from home. Sizing issue....the bike is a large/med. A ride a Cdale Touring and Rush in a large of the same vintage and they fit like a glove. All this would seem to be a no-brainer except every other bike I own/ride is a medium. Does the tandem maintain this tradition of having a "compact" cockpit relative to other manufacturers? I'm 5'8". Any helpful guidance would be most appreciated. Thanks!
    Here's the deal, the large may be a bit big for you. The real question regardless of front size is what would fit the stoker. The stoker compartment should be adaptable to fit.

So you may prefer a med / small, but in regards to tandem, many times the exact fit of a single is not exactly optimum for a tandem.

Not a great answer for your question. I base it on experience with Cannondale tandems and how they fit us. Saying that though, on paper our Ventana should not fit, but it seems to work well for us.

PK

to pedal or not to pedal
    Nov 2009
    I'm perhaps in a little different situation than average. I'm still accepting resumes for stoker
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Here's the deal, the large may be a bit big for you. The real question regardless of front size is what would fit the stoker. The stoker compartment should be adaptable to fit.

So you may prefer a med / small, but in regards to tandem, many times the exact fit of a single is not exactly optimum for a tandem.

Not a great answer for your question. I base it on experience with Cannondale tandems and how they fit us. Saying that though, on paper our Ventana should not fit, but it seems to work well for us.

PK

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reed523 View Post
    I'm perhaps in a little different situation than average. I'm still accepting resumes for stoker
    Ride the wheels off your single bike and share your credit card so she can go shopping. Tandem riding makes for many compromises. Unless you find a girl fully into cycling that wants to give up steering, brakes and overall control I doubt many people would prefer a tandem over a single. All the bestin your quest.

PK

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast