Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    MTB Tandem Nut

A.o.r.t.a. 2011!

Cross-post from another thread; just want to be sure we get the word out:

A.O.R.T.A 2011 will return to Bent Creek Trails in Asheville, NC for a weekend of riding.
    Date is May 13th - 15th, 2011. Other rides/days can also be arranged.
    Check out the website: www.MTBTandems.com/aorta.html
    Please email us if you're intersted in attending.
    We are looking forward to seeing many of you again and getting some riding in!
    Thanks!
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

mtbr member
    Some day when you make it out west, we'll join ya.

Until then, we'll have to get our local (little) group of tandems together. Hopefully springtime out near Grand Junction (hint Chris & Heather) and then Winter Park in the fall.

PMK
    mtbr member
    We are trying to work it out so as to spend the week after AORTA in the NC, GA, SC area.

Thinking about, AORTA, then Monday an easy ride like Tsali or similar, Tues, Wed some other riding, maybe Pinhotti, Fats, or other area trails. Possibly changing up the overnight stop.

End of the week try and get in to the GTR and ride the road tandem, but head out either Saturday night after any fun stuff or early Sunday morning.

So any other AORTAites, toying with similar thoughts of riding the area after the AORTA event?

PK

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Pat and I have been told DuPont trails are a must see when in the area. We are toying with staying an extra day or two to ride there. GTR is in the wrong direction for us.
    Ed and Pat Gifford

mtbr member

Local guy here..

Dupont is awesome for tandem mtb. We will be around and would be happy to guide you folks through the maze that is Dupont.
    If you do not have someone to show you around Dupont you will be looking at a map way to often.
    I do not think 12 Hours of Tsali conflicts this year with this wk-end.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the offer Thad, no substitute for local knowledge. We are a little intimidated by your post elsewhere on beating the Applegates. We are not in their league, so we may be way too slow for you. We were doing Dupont as a sort of " wind down "from AORTA.Think it over and no problemo if you change your mind. We certainly would like a route suggestion in Dupont none the less.
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    the Snot Rocket tandem
    Toms River, NJ

PMK
    mtbr member
    Ed, have you two set your planned dates yet. If so, maybe we can ride a couple of additional days together, if we can work it out on this end.

We'd be open to most all trails in the area,

PK

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi Paul and Jeannie,
    So far our plan is to arrive at BCL on Friday for AORTA. This year we will take 2 instead of 3 days to get there and forgo the other riding stops on the way down. We have fri, sat, sun at BCL and check out or extend our stay on monday. If nothing is available at Bent Creek we would look for a hotel/motel close by. Our thought is to ride Dupont after AORTA. Not knowing how big or diffucult it is and how we will feel after AORTA it saves us cancellation fees. Our intent is to ride and enjoy the terrain at a slower pace. If this sounds good to you guys we would love to have your company. We can discuss this more as time goes on. Let me know your plans and what you both think.
    Ed and Pat

mtbr member

Well now,

Quote Originally Posted by giff07
    Thanks for the offer Thad, no substitute for local knowledge. We are a little intimidated by your post elsewhere on beating the Applegates. We are not in their league, so we may be way too slow for you. We were doing Dupont as a sort of " wind down "from AORTA.Think it over and no problemo if you change your mind. We certainly would like a route suggestion in Dupont none the less.
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    the Snot Rocket tandem
    Toms River, NJ
    Truthfully there are not many people in the Applegate`s league and we surely are not. We just know them and my stoker used to work with Andy which is how we picked up their old tandem.
    Im mostly just full of sheeeeaatt, but do love riding our tandem. We will hopefully touch base with y`all and set something up..

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thad and Paul,
    As the date for AORTA approaches I will PM you both our final plans along with cell# and email so we can hook up for a "Tour de Dupont".
    Ed and Pat

mtbr member

Good Deal

Thad and Paul,
    As the date for AORTA approaches I will PM you both our final plans along with cell# and email so we can hook up for a "Tour de Dupont".
    Ed and Pat
    A relaxed easy tour of Dupont would be awesome..the terrain other than a few trails which we would skip is very flowing and generally buff, swoopy curvy without super major climbs but that`s relative to what you generally ride.
    Doing a Monday ride would be cool as i could have an excuse to take a day off work..
    Thad

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Sounds good to us. Any input Paul and Jeannie? Maybe the Judds and the Nutts might be interested also. Anyone????????
    Ed and Pat

PMK
    mtbr member
    We have never ridden Dupont, sounds like fun.

As tame as it can be, we have never ridden Tsali on the tandem, so we may hit there also..

Considering some other spots too. Ed are you and Pat calling Aorta your southern most point, or might you consider possibly spending a night and some riding in Elijay.

We stayed here last fall, cool riding, cool people and killer food.
    http://www.mulberrygap.com/
    Maybe some AORTA folks would like a day or two here also.

PK

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Looks great! We will look at distances and check it out. Let you know what we decide.
    Ed

Official Cooler Inspector
    There is something for everyone to do at DuPont - ride/hike/waterfall watching. Thad has great knowledge of WNC trails and can show you some of the best routes.

A few folks know I'll be out of the area this year. I'm sure going to hate not seeing ya'll!
    Crack myself up: "I wait till the opossum hits the deck water dish to call it a night."

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Dupont is cool. We have ridden there for the last couple of years. I am not sure if we are going to be able to take any time extra time off and ride Dupont like we did last year. Work is making me work.

Cheers

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

MTB Tandem Nut
    Paul Knudsen (PMK) has graciously agreed to do a suspension setup clinic on either Friday or Saturday of the AORTA weekend. This will be an informal how-to on setting up your tandem suspension (rear and/or front) for your team weight, riding, and preferences. Plus, folks will get to tap into his quite substantial knowledge on suspension settings and setups. This will be hands-on event, so bring your tandem (obviously), stoker (more obviously), and supension pump(s) to the clinic. Jeanne has suggested some additional entertainment for the stokers, but we DWC's haven't come up with anything for that yet...
    If you're interested in taking part in this, please let me know so we can have enough materials available.
    It's not very often that one can get this sort of professional input on suspension setup!
    Thanks Paul!
    Last edited by TandemNut; 02-01-2011 at 05:47 AM.
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Ed and Pat Gifford will be there, pump in hand. Thanks Paul and Alex!

PMK
    mtbr member
    Alex and I talked a bit about this. With a bit of luck, we'll accomplish a quick explanation of some setup details. Then find a few trail features to "test" your settings. Ideally each team will be able to ride some more that day and apply or further fine tune from the basic setup.

Maybe Jeanne will translate all the captain jargon into stoker terms..."It feels worse, it feels better, too bouncy, that hurts my back, I'm not sure, maybe it's better"...how difficult can it be?

Seriously though, I hope this is an added item of value to a great weekend of riding planned by Alex and the MTBTandems crew.

PK

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hell yeah, that sound great! Will Paul accept payment for this service in beer?

MTB Tandem Nut
    Quote Originally Posted by clj2289
    Hell yeah, that sound great! Will Paul accept payment for this service in beer?
    As his self-appointed part-time agent, I am authorized to accept beer on his behalf. He prefers imports.
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Being from Georgia and Paul from Florida do you consider New Jersey beer an import or just bottled pollution???????????
    Ed

PMK
    mtbr member
    Being from Georgia and Paul from Florida do you consider New Jersey beer an import or just bottled pollution???????????
    Ed

CLJ and his wife are also from Florida...their other hobby is making beer, very good stuff, at least the one I tried, I will say.

I'll let CLJ field the beer questions, about the only bottled items I get from New Jersey are Bel-Ray suspension fluid, and when available the best chocolate milk from grass fed non hormone injected cows.

CLJ knows I'm a cheap date...cold Bud works for me after a ride, the good stuff s for dinner time.

You know maybe this suspension seminar should have a multiple choice test, could keep you less distracted by the beer.

PK

Official Cooler Inspector
    Local says: Get a growler

http://wedgebrewing.com/Wedge_Brewin...e/Welcome.html

(FB 'em for current news. Nice folks - unique place to visit)
    Crack myself up: "I wait till the opossum hits the deck water dish to call it a night."

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

now you're talkin'

That looks cool. We might have to make a field trip into Asheville.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast