Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Newb looking for a tandem

Hi,

New guy reporting in! Lately I have been thinking about purchasing a tandem for my wife and I. We both mountain bike, but I am quite a bit faster than she is. I believe that a tandem would work out great for us...it sure seems like it would be a blast! Anyway, comments are welcome and if anyone has a tandem that they are thinking about selling please LMK. We are looking for something in the medium/small range. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Idea on a budget? A used Cannondale is generally regarded as the best starter tandem. Spend more and widen your search area and you can score a full-suspension Ventana in the $3,xxx range.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Okayfine View Post
    Idea on a budget? A used Cannondale is generally regarded as the best starter tandem. Spend more and widen your search area and you can score a full-suspension Ventana in the $3,xxx range.

Looking to spend under 2k, but willing to go up in the 3k range for a FS. At the moment, I think a hardtail would better suit my wife and I. I was really thinking about getting a Fandango 29er from Alex at mtbtandems. I just can't spend that kind of money right now. Thank you very much for the advice!

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Buy low while you are finding out if tandeming is suitable for you as a couple. Tandems are a good source of marital bliss AND agony. Choose well my friend.

K&K
    spdway certainly has a point, but I will offer the contrary opinion. If you're going to try singletracks, get a fully suspended bike.

My wife and I have been riding a tandem for about 10 years now. The first bike was a Santana for the road, then we got a Cannondale MT800 and tried riding off-road. We quickly settled on riding the road and on paved paths as our couple of off-road excursions proved rather unhappy. 10 years on and we are again visiting the idea of mountain biking. I firmly believe (with absolutely no experience to back up that belief) that if you're going to drag your stoker over a singletrack, you absolutely MUST have a fully suspended bike. Thus, we are shopping for an EDCM, no.. that's ECDM.... lol.
    Last edited by ki5ka; 02-05-2014 at 07:03 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Great views on both ends of the spectrum. Thank you 1spd and ki5ka for the for the suggestions. Just gotta find one and make a decision I guess.

K&K
    Okayfine, where do I find those $3k ecdms?? I been look'n, and don fine nut'n! Leads appreciated
    Cheers

mtbr member

Newb looking for a tandem

Have you and your wife ever ridden a tandem before? I would highly recommend that you go test ride one together. Might end up uncovering a few things before you drop $3k.

K&K
    As I said, we've been riding tandem for about 10 years... oh.. you were addressing the OP, sorry...

Flip, they're affectionately called "divorce cycles" for a reason, but don't let that stop you. If you and your other understand how to work through difficult situations, you'll do great. If you don't know what I'm talking about, ... oh man, you are so screwed lol
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plantdude View Post
    Have you and your wife ever ridden a tandem before? I would highly recommend that you go test ride one together. Might end up uncovering a few things before you drop $3k.
    Can't say we have ridden a 2 wheel tandem, we have been on a tandem rickshaw before haha. We had a blast on it even with me trying to get it sideways! I am not worried about the teamwork aspect of it as we have been though some really trying times together.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ki5ka View Post
    As I said, we've been riding tandem for about 10 years... oh.. you were addressing the OP, sorry...

Flip, they're affectionately called "divorce cycles" for a reason, but don't let that stop you. If you and your other understand how to work through difficult situations, you'll do great. If you don't know what I'm talking about, ... oh man, you are so screwed lol
    Cheers
    Haha, buddy let me tell you! The wife and I have been through some really tough times with our two boys so I definitely know what you are talking about. We are far from a perfect couple but we both have faith in our Lord and a strong relationship. I am hoping that riding a bike wont cause us too many issues..."divorce cycle" lol that is too funny!
    Thank you for all your comments!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I firmly believe (with absolutely no experience to back up that belief) that if you're going to drag your stoker over a singletrack, you absolutely MUST have a fully suspended bike.
    My stoker would agree with you. We increased speed and trail choice changing from our intro KHS to our ECdM. That said, plenty of teams here run and even race Cannondales and Fandangos and are perfectly happy. But all of the HT tandems will have nice suspended seat posts for the stokers.

Okayfine, where do I find those $3k ecdms?? I been look'n, and don fine nut'n!
    They are out there. This red one was was advertised a little while ago and was $3xxx:
    Wanted used ecdm

And we bought our own original ECdM for $3500 with ~250 miles on it.

K&K
    Damn, ... I even like the color,...

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Okayfine View Post
    My stoker would agree with you. We increased speed and trail choice changing from our intro KHS to our ECdM. That said, plenty of teams here run and even race Cannondales and Fandangos and are perfectly happy. But all of the HT tandems will have nice suspended seat posts for the stokers.

They are out there. This red one was was advertised a little while ago and was $3xxx:
    Wanted used ecdm

And we bought our own original ECdM for $3500 with ~250 miles on it.

Yes, and Yes, and Yes. Quality hardtails such as a Fandango 29 are great. I could not imagine riding on the back without a Thudbuster with proper cushions though. An ECDM is also a great machine. More money, more complex but does take the hits and runs above 20 mph much better. Both are great machines, even our 98 Cannondale was very good, but each has a certain niche it does well and minimal compromise in other areas. We would happily ride any of the three mentioned.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Yes, and Yes, and Yes. Quality hardtails such as a Fandango 29 are great. I could not imagine riding on the back without a Thudbuster with proper cushions though. An ECDM is also a great machine. More money, more complex but does take the hits and runs above 20 mph much better. Both are great machines, even our 98 Cannondale was very good, but each has a certain niche it does well and minimal compromise in other areas. We would happily ride any of the three mentioned.

PK
    Hey PK,

I am leaning more towards a HT. What are your feeling on the Fandango tandems? Everything I have read have been posititve. I will be calling Alex sometime in the near future to get his thoughts as well. I appreciate your time Sir!

Al

mtbr member
    Damn, ... I even like the color,...
    You will find one brotha!

PMK
    mtbr member
    The Fandango, a great machine. Actually we put several thousand miles on ours. It was sad when we sold it, not because of the bike, rather some injuries that forced us onto the ECDM.

Pretty much we rode the wheels off it. Excellent xc bike. Great slow and technical, great on fast swoopy trails, incredible rear wheel grip, roomy etc.

PK

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008
    Flip - did you find one yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trails4Two View Post
    Flip - did you find one yet?
    No, not yet.

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008
    Where are you located? We have a Cannondale Hard tail we are cleaning up for sale. Contact me off forum if you want. czmckim@gmail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trails4Two View Post
    Where are you located? We have a Cannondale Hard tail we are cleaning up for sale. Contact me off forum if you want. czmckim@gmail
    Hi, email sent. I am in Chesapeake, VA. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Cheers
    Divorce cycles??? Nah, we look at it as more of a Relationship accelerator. Whatever way your relationship is headed, the tandem will get it there that much faster!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Re: Newb looking for a tandem

Quote Originally Posted by flip998 View Post
    Hey PK,

I am leaning more towards a HT. What are your feeling on the Fandango tandems? Everything I have read have been posititve. I will be calling Alex sometime in the near future to get his thoughts as well. I appreciate your time Sir!

Al
    I'll tell you what I think of a hardtail tandem. My wife and I have put 1k miles on our hardtail Fandango that we bought from mtbtandems 10 months ago. We've ridden some seriously technical terrain, done a few races, and spent countless hours together laughing and smiling while exploring in the woods.

It's not a divorce machine - it's a tool to develop your teamwork, solve problems together and most of all - have fun.

I can't recommend it enough - hardtail or full squish; just do it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
    I'll tell you what I think of a hardtail tandem. My wife and I have put 1k miles on our hardtail Fandango that we bought from mtbtandems 10 months ago. We've ridden some seriously technical terrain, done a few races, and spent countless hours together laughing and smiling while exploring in the woods.

It's not a divorce machine - it's a tool to develop your teamwork, solve problems together and most of all - have fun.

I can't recommend it enough - hardtail or full squish; just do it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Having ridden with the pair of you, yes on the bike at least, you two do well together. I would venture to say that this carries over to day to day.

Here in lies the problems though, it is always a compromise with a moving target...One day I have a female Ricky Carmichael pushing the limits, another day it might be as I joke Miss Daisy from the movie Driving Miss Daisy. I will say though, that I really love riding when it becomes a Jekyll and Hyde, Daisy gets on the bike, but look out after some warm up if someone besides Daisy starts pedaling.

Divorce Machine, nope. But there have been a few rides where the captain returned to port and said let's do something different today.

We know it is all about fun and make every effort to keep it that way.

PK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by giff07 View Post

Divorce cycles??? Nah, we look at it as more of a Relationship accelerator. Whatever way your relationship is headed, the tandem will get it there that much faster!
    Very nicely put!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast