Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
    Thanks EB for the comments. I'm generally a fan of Stan's rims - I have the Arch EX on my single bike and they're a great all-around rim. I had full intentions of requesting the Flow rim to be built around King hubs, but Alex asked us to try out a wheel set built around a Velocity Blunt rim while the others are being built. I have to tell you that the 35mm wide blunt did a great job of spreading out the tire casing and putting down a bigger footprint on the trail. As such, at 35psi, we didn't experience any pushing in the front through turns and overall, came away impressed. So, rather than the Flows, we are going with the Velocity Blunt on King hubs, which we can run tubeless as well.

I do want to write up a more detailed review and overall impression of our tandem, but not until we put in a few more miles of riding, which we plan to do tonight!!

My trusty and lovely stoker/wife/partner in crime excited about the inaugural break-in ride!
    Are the rims the Blunt? Or P35? I thought that the Blunt rims were only 28mm...

Either way, we have had good luck with the P35s. They set up tubeless well and as you mentioned, have a great footprint. We have a 2.4 up front and 2.3 or 2.35 in back and I really like them. The only issue (if you call it an issue) is that the rims dent fairly easily. I don't know that there is any harm, and they still hold up tubeless fine. But our rear rim has quite a few small dents in it (where I would guess you would have had a "snakebite" type of flat if I were running tubes). Maybe I need to run higher pressure??

Looking forward to hearing your ride reports!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

New team in GA...well, almost!

They are for sure Blunt 35s that are 40 hole rims on Hope Evo Tandem hubs. I think I remember Alex saying they were a special run; I'm sure he'll chime in.

Great ride tonight on the tandem. All of the work setting up both cockpits really paid off! My stoker is smiling and that's good!

PMK
    mtbr member
    Fandangos can run a slick road tire in the back and still have a lot of grip. The bike is incredible as far as traction goes.

We would run our Panaracer Rampages almost bald and have very few grip issues. New tires were better and cornered faster, but had more straight line drag so were slower overall on long distance rides. The worn tires also were more prone to debris flats.

We have similar issues with the ECDM.

Tandems eat tires, we get about 1000 miles on a rear road tire, and maybe 700 miles on an off road tire, most times less. They are just worn smooth.

When you write your review, post it in the topic about Fandangos that is still here somewhere.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

MTB Tandem Nut
    Yes, it's a Blunt 35, formerly the P35. It is designed to run tubeless. As Michael stated, it provides a good wide footprint, and at 580 grams is pretty light for such a large rim. As noted, my biggest concern is the softness of the rim and how it holds up to tandem use. Since I don't advocate running low pressures on tandem wheels due to the front-end push potential, I'm hoping the rim will fare well while at 32-38psi. Michael has graciously agreed to be volunteer beta testers on the 40 spoke rims. The 40's were a very small sample run for us by Velocity to see if we would be interested in sourcing them in quantity. The set Michael and Carin are running will be put on our tandem for heavyweight testing shortly, and M&C will run the 36 spoke version on King hubs.
    Last edited by TandemNut; 05-02-2013 at 07:55 AM.
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TandemNut View Post
    Yes, it's a Blunt 35, formerly the P35. It is designed to run tubeless. As Michael stated, it provides a good wide footprint, and at 580 grams is pretty light for such a large rim. As noted, my biggest concern is the softness of the rim and how it holds up to tandem use. Since I don't advocate running low pressures on tandem wheels due to the front-end push potential, I'm hoping the rim will fare well while at 32-38psi. Michael has graciously agreed to be volunteer beta testers on the 40 spoke rims. The 40's were a very small sample run for us by Velocity to see if we would be interested in sourcing them in quantity. The set Michael and Carin are running will be put on our tandem for heavyweight testing shortly, and M&C will run the 36 spoke version on King hubs.
    Alex,

FWIW, we have been running P35s tubeless on the Fandango and our ECDM29 for the past couple of years. We're running the 36h. The rims are soft. I have a a few dings in the rear wheel, but it still holds up tubeless just fine. I think we run around 35 psi. I suppose it may be less at times as I don't check it on every ride (lazy). Probably should run closer to 40 psi (based on the rim dings). That said, if we were running tubes, with that pressure, we'd have had a bunch of "snakebites".

I've said it before and I will reiterate, I am 100% believer in the Chris King hubs - ESPECIALLY the rear hub. It's the only one that we have not destroyed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2