Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Looking For MTB Tandem

Hey Guys any feedback would be great!
    My Wife and I have been off of bikes for a few years now and want to get back into riding but this time We would like to do it on a tandem

What I am hoping to find is a used tandem for around $800-1000
    I have been looking at CL and eBay any other places I should be looking at?
    60% of the rides would be on the local bike path and the other 40% local dirt trails I was thinking C-dale for first Bike???
    Thanks Mike

PMK
    mtbr member
    Cannondale is a great first tandem. Typically many to choose from, almost always in your price range.

Try looking here.

http://bike.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/bike.c...tm=tandem&fil=

or here

http://www.tandemmag.com/classified/

PK

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    PK hows Burley found one local looks to be in ok shape I guess I would need to take a look at it in person but how is the brand.
    Guy is looking to get $750 or so...........

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks PK I will keep looking until I find one local

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Burley is good, we own a Burley Duet road tandem. Thing is, for $750, that or a little more should be able to get you a more modern and upgradable Cannondale. What's more, you're likely to suffer from little depreciation should you sell the Cannondale on after 1) You and your stoker decide to upgrade, or 2) You and your stoker decide tandem cycling is not for you.

IMO that Burley is overpriced, but it may take some searching to find a Cannondale. It will be worth the effort, however.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Okayfine View Post
    Burley is good, we own a Burley Duet road tandem. Thing is, for $750, that or a little more should be able to get you a more modern and upgradable Cannondale. What's more, you're likely to suffer from little depreciation should you sell the Cannondale on after 1) You and your stoker decide to upgrade, or 2) You and your stoker decide tandem cycling is not for you.

IMO that Burley is overpriced, but it may take some searching to find a Cannondale. It will be worth the effort, however.
    Thanks I do want a Cannondale was thinking MT800 or MT1000 if I can find one local....
    I'm in SoCal I was thinking it should be easy to find one just not sure how long it will take.

Now on the Burley would $500.00 be a good price or is that still too much I did contact this Guy and from what I got the frame size would be perfect.
    Thanks Mike

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Depending on what you want from the bike, $500 may be worth it. Hard to say without component knowledge or bike condition.

We started on the Burley road tandem and about five years later transitioned to off-road tandeming. We started that on a KHS "off-road" tandem, which was essentially their road tandem frame/gearing with flat bars and 2.1" tires. $600 with perhaps 25 miles on the bike. I spent $300 for a Marz DJ3 fork and another $100 for 8" mechanical disc brakes, $200 for a new front hub, Brake Therapy bracket, and some other smaller upgrades. That got us something we could take on the local trails to figure out if we liked tandeming off road. We did, and came across a half-price ECdM local to us. We were able to sell off the modified KHS and didn't lose too much money.

You could do similar with the Burley. The hard-tail aspect of the KHS was a real speed limiter, but we hadn't bought a fancy Thudbuster rear suspension post and speed may not be an issue straight-away anyway. LOTS of happy Fandango owners, so full-suspension isn't a requirement for many happy off-road miles. The Burley (like the KHS) will feel pretty flexy off-road - both bikes are steel tubed. The CD will be aluminum, and if you can find one with a disc mount on the frame, much the better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Ok here is a MT800 from Reno anybody have a idea on what year this is?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking For MTB Tandem-mt800.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    type in tandem in the classified ads here on Mtb forum there is a Brodie for $800 has some great parts might fit your needs well

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XC Mike View Post
    Ok here is a MT800 from Reno anybody have a idea on what year this is?
    Best you can do is research VintageCannondale.com.

Cannondale for a long time had all previous bikes listed, but recently has removed them from their site.

That Cannondale I believe is a 2003, Pretty much the last version of MTB frame design they offered. Disc capable if needed. Pretty much a typical Cannondale which should sell for a typical price of say $1000 to maybe a high of $1500 if the seller is lucky.

Earlier frames had no rear disc mount 1998 and prior, the latest frames have a drop down rear dropout that lowers the entire bike, began around 2009 I think.

Be aware when searching and shopping that sizing is important. You never posted your size of the captain and stoker, and this becomes important so you get a good fit. Without a good fit the bike will be more a novelty than used often.

You may come accross some used IBIS's and other brands. Most would be fine, but consider braking has evolved a lot since the mid 90's and if the frame has a 1" steer tube, that is a challenge and possible safety concern for aggressive riding.

Best of luck with it.

PK

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by akexpress View Post
    type in tandem in the classified ads here on Mtb forum there is a Brodie for $800 has some great parts might fit your needs well
    Not bad just to far I do want something local shipping would be way to much.................

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Best you can do is research VintageCannondale.com.

Cannondale for a long time had all previous bikes listed, but recently has removed them from their site.

That Cannondale I believe is a 2003, Pretty much the last version of MTB frame design they offered. Disc capable if needed. Pretty much a typical Cannondale which should sell for a typical price of say $1000 to maybe a high of $1500 if the seller is lucky.

Earlier frames had no rear disc mount 1998 and prior, the latest frames have a drop down rear dropout that lowers the entire bike, began around 2009 I think.

Be aware when searching and shopping that sizing is important. You never posted your size of the captain and stoker, and this becomes important so you get a good fit. Without a good fit the bike will be more a novelty than used often.

You may come accross some used IBIS's and other brands. Most would be fine, but consider braking has evolved a lot since the mid 90's and if the frame has a 1" steer tube, that is a challenge and possible safety concern for aggressive riding.

Best of luck with it.

PK
    Thanks for the link PK I need a M/S I'm 5'9" Wife 5'5"
    To be more clear the type of off road use I will be doing is nothing hardcore so FS won't be needed.
    In the past I have rode The Fully Loop and the Hills here in Whittier so a HT and Fork would be nice.........
    How is the C-Dale Fatty Fork?
    One thing I do like about the MT800 is it is disc ready

PMK
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the link PK I need a M/S I'm 5'9" Wife 5'5"
    To be more clear the type of off road use I will be doing is nothing hardcore so FS won't be needed.
    In the past I have rode The Fully Loop and the Hills here in Whittier so a HT and Fork would be nice.........
    How is the C-Dale Fatty Fork?
    One thing I do like about the MT800 is it is disc ready
    At 5'9", you probably want a Large. My wife / stoker at 5'6" fit better on the Medium.

FWIW, we had two Cannondales, an early style non disc 1998 MT3000, and a later style 2001 MT800.

Our 98 being earlier had smaller proportions, it was a L/S. The front was fine, the back was to short front in top tube length.

Our 2001 was an XL/M, it was big in the front and perfect in the back.

I'd say go with a L/M for your sizes.

PK

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    At 5'9", you probably want a Large. My wife / stoker at 5'6" fit better on the Medium.

FWIW, we had two Cannondales, an early style non disc 1998 MT3000, and a later style 2001 MT800.

Our 98 being earlier had smaller proportions, it was a L/S. The front was fine, the back was to short front in top tube length.

Our 2001 was an XL/M, it was big in the front and perfect in the back.

I'd say go with a L/M for your sizes.

PK
    Thanks PK my wife just told me she is 5'3" not 5'5" would you still say a L/M?

PMK
    mtbr member
    Thanks PK my wife just told me she is 5'3" not 5'5" would you still say a L/M?
    For us if my wife was 5'3" I would probably still go Medium since it is easier to make it smaller with the stoker stem going longer rather than the Captain sitting on top of the stoker bars.

Consider also, the 99 and later Cannondales are a bit longer in true size vs letter size.

As an example, 98 maybe lets say 23" for a large, whereas a 99 might be 23,5 for a large. This also happened on their single bikes as well in 99.

PK

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008

C'Dale sizing

My stoker and I started on a Cannondale Mt3000 (1999) It is a M/S. I am 5' 10" she is 5'4" we rode it HARD for about 5 years. Eventually we got a Ventana as I realized that the M/S C'Dale was simply too small. We also have a C'Dale road bike in L/S that works better. At 5'9" you would end up running a pretty long stem (130mm) unless you are all leg. For the riding you describe, you could get away with it. I still use our M/S as a parent/child tandem. I can put in about 20 miles on it before my body complains about the size.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks PK and Trails
    Anybody have the specs on the L/M and M/S I can't make out the numbers online.........

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008
    I don't have the numbers anymore. I would be glad to measure anything on the 1999 MT 3000 in my garage if you would like. My best guess is either a M/s or L/S. Your stoker could ride a medium as well if you found one of those first, but I think a small would fit better. If you plan on putting an aftermarket fork on the bike, take captain standover height into consideration. Here is an old shot of the M/S at Moab
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking For MTB Tandem-p3300031.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Trails4Two View Post
    I don't have the numbers anymore. I would be glad to measure anything on the 1999 MT 3000 in my garage if you would like. My best guess is either a M/s or L/S. Your stoker could ride a medium as well if you found one of those first, but I think a small would fit better. If you plan on putting an aftermarket fork on the bike, take captain standover height into consideration. Here is an old shot of the M/S at Moab
    Sweet I do like the Yellow

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Trails / PK a few more questions for you Guys
    I had the owner send me more pics of his MT800 it's a 2002 M/S my question is what size is the stock stem on these?
    I just checked my inseam and it's 30" no shoes I need to check my Wifes later today.
    Then I called C-Dale to get the specs on the frame and was told top tube was 22"long the stand over is 28.2 front and 26.5 rear.
    It has the stock Fatty and I know later I will change the fork out...........
    I'm just not sure about my upper body if it will fit HELP!!!!!!! lol.......
    The Bike is about 500 miles away just under 9 hours I really don't want to drive out their to find this bike don't fit me..........
    Thanks Guys
    Mike

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Trails anymore pics of your MT3000 so I can see your seat height and all and if you can check out the numbers for me that would be great

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008
    I would guess that unless you are an active road rider and like your mountain bikes to have very low bars relative to the saddle, you might be happier with a Large. With Med you will probably need a pretty long, high-rise stem. Something like a 130mm with 20 degrees rise. With our M/S I have two sizing issues: 1) it is about 1" shorter in the reach than my other bikes, and that is with a 130mm stem. 2) the saddle is about 2-3" higher than the bars. This used to be less of a problem when I was younger - now it gets uncomfortable on longer rides.

That said, you can buy stems pretty cheaply. And actually the stem on the one you are looking at is pretty long and tall, so it might work. You could ride this bike. I am taller than you and rode ours for about six years. You could get this one to "test the waters" then save up for a Fandango or a full suspension later.

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008
    Here's a few pics. The tandem is now our "kid bike" which we use for everything from commuting to tight singletrack.

A few measurements:
    Standover Captain - 29" Stoker- 26.75"
    BB height 13"
    Top tube 21"
    reach (center of post to center of bars)Captain 26.5", Stoker 21" but very adjustable.
    Floor to top of saddle 41"
    Floor to top of bars 40" using a med rise 130mm stem and lo-rise riser bars.

I could get the bars higher, but my wife (5'4") drives the bike sometimes and I don't want to get her way out of position, so we compromise.

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008
    It would help if I actually attached the pictures...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking For MTB Tandem-251329_10150268516985799_670360798_8904397_2207555_n.jpg  

Looking For MTB Tandem-p1010402.jpg  

Looking For MTB Tandem-p1010401.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Trails4Two View Post
    I would guess that unless you are an active road rider and like your mountain bikes to have very low bars relative to the saddle, you might be happier with a Large. With Med you will probably need a pretty long, high-rise stem. Something like a 130mm with 20 degrees rise. With our M/S I have two sizing issues: 1) it is about 1" shorter in the reach than my other bikes, and that is with a 130mm stem. 2) the saddle is about 2-3" higher than the bars. This used to be less of a problem when I was younger - now it gets uncomfortable on longer rides.

That said, you can buy stems pretty cheaply. And actually the stem on the one you are looking at is pretty long and tall, so it might work. You could ride this bike. I am taller than you and rode ours for about six years. You could get this one to "test the waters" then save up for a Fandango or a full suspension later.
    Sounds good your 5'10" and your inseam is? vs my 5'9" and a 30" inseam (no shoes)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast