Ultra Ventanaphile

Leg Pain After Tandem Rides Only

Not sure if this is tandem specific or not but here goes.

I'm getting significant soreness in my knees after I ride the tandem, I'm farily fit MTB/Cyclist that rides 3-4 times a week, but I don't ride my Conquistador that often, usually every other week, with one of my kids. So the strength/endurance imbalance between myself and my stoker is signifcant.

The soreness is in the upper kneecap area, into the head of my quad muscles, and it lasts a good day or so after a Tandem ride, sore enough that without pharmecuticals it's painful to walk when I first get up from a chair/etc. Usually clears up by day 2. I'll get soreness from riding my single bikes if I push mileage or elevation climbed, but nothing as consistant or deep as Post Tandem.

I tried to make sure setup on my bikes wasn't the issue so I checked and re-checked that my MTB/Road/SS and Conquis are all within a few mm of each other, especially Seat height, and seat fore after of the BB.

Anybody experience something similar? Opposite? (Pain from Single Bikes) Any thoughts? Conjecture? HELP?!?!?!
    I won't stop riding the tandem, the kids and I have way too much fun, but I would like to be able to walk normaly the next day again.

Thanks.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Could just be a combination between balance and riding methods.

Like doing squats in the gym, one would say a squat is a squat like a bike is a bike. But if you point your toes in on a should width squat you will burn in places you would not if you did a wide leg squat.

Just my view of it, but I am the kind of person that would tell you dig hard when it hurts. Get a cold ride harder, get the flu ride harder, get a lung infection ride harder, dog starts chasing you ride harder, hot chick passes you ride harder and enjoy. See riding harder helps everything.

Or

You could go collect up about 200 grams of Bull Nettle leave, slice them up a little, pack them in a 1 liter GLASS bottle of rubbing alcohol for a week or until the liquid turns dark green. Then apply liquid only to affected area (no open cuts and not on the nuts) and the pain will be gone very fast.
    De oppresso liber

PMK
    mtbr member
    If your pedal cleats are floating, there should be minimal side loads induced into the foot from improper positioning. Make sure the cleats are still tight.

Aside from that, more RPM and stronger stokers. Not the answer you want, but you pain sounds similar to times when we do more mashing than spinning. Also, there are some trails we ride where the stokers heart rate won't come up. She unknowingly does not want to ride with effort. My heart rate will be above typical, and yes my upper legs and sometimes knees will hurt later.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

MTB Tandem Nut
    I have had the same issue off and on for a couple of years. The only thing I can attribute it to is slower pedaling cadence and the resulting higher load on the knees. Position and crank length are both similar, as is everything else. Once I started looking for the source, I found that we do pedal the tandem slower than when on my singles, especially if we haven't been on it for a couple of weeks. The more we ride the tandem, the less the cadence difference is, so I assume we get used to spinning when we ride tandem more often. Once I concentrated on keeping the cadence up/gearing down more when riding the tandem, the issue seemed to resolve itself for the most part.
    Try taking the tandem on a long, smooth trail with fewer obstacles and other hard-pedaling influences, (or even a road ride) and see if that helps keep your cadence up.
    This advice is, of course, worth every cent you paid for it
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Cadence, not sure why I hadn't thought of that. I bet I am mashing more or not spinning enough. I'll try the roadie spin advice (excuse to ride right?) and see if I feel better.
    Thanks all!

-Aaron
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by tandemnut View Post
    i have had the same issue off and on for a couple of years. The only thing i can attribute it to is slower pedaling cadence and the resulting higher load on the knees. Position and crank length are both similar, as is everything else. Once i started looking for the source, i found that we do pedal the tandem slower than when on my singles, especially if we haven't been on it for a couple of weeks. The more we ride the tandem, the less the cadence difference is, so i assume we get used to spinning when we ride tandem more often. Once i concentrated on keeping the cadence up/gearing down more when riding the tandem, the issue seemed to resolve itself for the most part.
    Try taking the tandem on a long, smooth trail with fewer obstacles and other hard-pedaling influences, (or even a road ride) and see if that helps keep your cadence up.
    This advice is, of course, worth every cent you paid for it
    +1!

-f
    It's never easier - you just go faster.