ADV
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Independent Pedaling System

I was looking at tandems on Craigslist and ran across a cannondale MT800 with a Independent Pedaling System by Advanced Transportation Products. This looks like something I might like to have on cannondale MT1000. Any one out there have any information or good pictures of this system?

Madison Wisconsin Craigslist is where I say the bike today. Dont know hot to put a link to it.

Thanks JOHN

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Cannondale Tandem MT800

http://www.hostelshoppe.com/atp_arch...structions.pdf

Vision Bikes doesn't seem to have a current website, but there's other contact info in the link above.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have tried an independant pedaling system on a DeVinci tandem, years ago (didnt get that much time and it was in a parking lot) We have some mixed emotions about it,1) have you every had your cranks just a little misaligned on your tandem? the timing just doesnt work right. 2) I believe if the system had a on/off lever, meaning you could dis-engage the cranks to be independant (useful in technical areas) and engage them to your pre-set position, would be better. Maybe I'll design a system like that in my free time...
    I know of tandem riders who like the IPS, but for the little time we spent, I wasnt impressed.

mtbr member

Our ICS experience....

We got lots of mileage with locked in sync, or normal tandem drives and with Independent Coasting System (ICS) by DaVinci. On the road, we found we couldn’t appreciate ICS equipped bikes and eventually took it off our road bike after 2 seasons of trials. Years after that, we got a DaVinci Symbiosis and expected we’d remove it as well. To our surprise,, we loved it for MBing and yes we’ve ridden locked in sync MBs as well.. Today you couldn't pry the ICS off of our MB's as seen below. I should add that this setup runs the timing chains up,, which keeps them out of the way for MBing. The independence of our cranks keeps us from hitting the logs along the trail or the side of the benched trails we frequently do. Plus while going up hills at low speeds, we can still get around things weather both of us can pedal, or not...... Hope that helps.

Gromit has updated her blog with ride adventure photos taken over the weekend. Most of these were taken on the fly.

The Trail Mutt Reports
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Independent Pedaling System-whoopidy-woo-deb-sandy-web-.jpg  

Last edited by arly; 06-04-2012 at 11:13 AM.
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

ADV
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Is there any way I could put a IPS on my current cannondale? I am a machinist and can make what ever parts i would need just need more information.

mtbr member
    Not to my knowledge. Seems if you did the labor yourself, you could have bought a bike (or two) by the time you were done.

Some years ago a company was offering a kit, but I can't recall the manufactures name or seen them around for years. Not sure if it was "Advanced Transportation Products" or not. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by arly; 06-06-2012 at 03:14 PM.
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    the use of the tiny "chainrings" in place of a regular chainring in the da vinci setup seems like a drivetrain eater to me. i always try to stay out of the granny gear when I can, because smaller front rings put a lot more tension in the chain and thus tend to eat up the cassette.

For those with a da vinci setup, do you notice your cassette wearing quickly?

mtbr member

dearing gearing explained

No they don't wear faster or have much different stress as any MB tandem has. You may not have noted the primary timing chainrings that are mounted on the cranks drive a smaller ring on a intermediate BB. This is a "step up" in gearing, which largely cancels out the small steel chainrings you speak of. Clear as mud?? : The end result is the gear ratio or inch gear is pretty much the same as most MB's. In fact we set ours up with the largest inch gear as possible,, since our legs don't seem to not be getting any stronger as age progresses. Go figure!