PMK
    mtbr member

If you ever get the chance to try this, do it.

Finally got the Adams Shocker Tag A Long and took the time to get it built how I wanted it.

The Adams Shockers have been out of production for a few years. It took some time to locate one and get it here, but it was worth the effort.

Today was the first ride. Easy run on pavement to the park. Followed by some Italian Ice. Next we headed towards Mommy and Daddy's, but not without her first off-road ride on the local park MTB trail (easy and short). We used some golf cart paths along a golf course to get her near to home. We spent some time there where her mom and dad were amazed at how quickly she took to the tag a long. Finally, back to our house and waiting for mom and dad to come get her. Grandkids are fun and today was awesome. Not every ride needs to be an epic or thrill. Our next plans are for some mild off-road riding to see gators and stuff along a local doubletrack trail that runs alongside a water catchment canal.

PK
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails If you ever get the chance to try this, do it.-img_0883-copy.jpg  

If you ever get the chance to try this, do it.-img_0884-copy.jpg  

If you ever get the chance to try this, do it.-img_0885-copy.jpg  

Last edited by PMK; 02-23-2014 at 05:53 PM.
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

K&K
    Cool beans!

mtbr member
    That is so awesome, you are cool grandparents!

mtbr member
    Very cool!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Awesome, plus:

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Our next plans are for some mild off-road riding to see gators and stuff along a local doubletrack trail that runs alongside a water catchment canal.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Awesome.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Professional Crastinator
    That Adams has a ton of room for swinging over/around the rear tire of the tandem. Our daughter never complained about it, but there were a LOT of tire marks on her trail-a-bike - most likely from the tow bike tipping forward over undulations in the terrain.

Also, as you are probably well aware, that's a really long rig. One time we almost dropped our daughter off a small bridge. I went as wide and off trail as I could to set up as straight as I could for the bridge, but her tire caught up in something that dragged it off-line. She jumped off before the trail-a-bike slid off, but my heart stopped until I turned around and saw her standing there with that accusatory look that can only come from a stoker. ...or a child in tow that has endured the captain's blunder.

Get lots of rides before she gets too big!

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Fleas, I was actually caught in total amazement at how quickly she became comfortable riding this thing. Grandma was more nervous. She was a bit apprehensive about the getting on and getting off initially, now, to grandmas horror she has no concern about stepping off when she is told we are stopping.

Consider her getting off is ala Jeremy McGrath doing a knack knack. She is prepared before the bike stops.

I am sure there will be a few tight moments, as for bridges, knowing my wife's fear of heights, anything lass than a straight approach will be walked.

I am glad I found a Shocker. For where we ride and plan to ride, the rear suspension will make the rides longer.

I am very lucky to have a daughter and son in law that is fully on-board for this stuff.

Her dad is a great golfer and teaches her that game. I teach her cycling and moto stuff. Her mom has made her take and learn swimming plus she is involved in soccer and has taken dance. She is pretty well rounded and still not even 4. Yes Alex, born the week of AORTA 1.

Best part is to see her hold her own under pressure. Was not there, but at a soccer game she had another teams player give her some lip and hit her. When asked what happened by her mom...the other girl was being mean, Sofia got fed up and told the other girl she is wearing baby shoes. The other girl was upset and cried. Sofia walked away and resumed the game.

Regardless, I am thinking in the end...this may be expensive.

With luck, Sunday will be a fun ride to see alligators and wildlife. She has also convinced herself that if needed she may need to go in the woods. I wish life were this simple for everyone.

PK

MTB Tandem Nut
    So she'll eventually be the AORTA mascot? Cool - with her on the Trail-a-bike and Jeanne keeping you captaining responsibly as a result, we might actually be able to keep up with you!
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

ALM
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Very cool Paul! We have a trek tag a long we used for our girls on the road tandem. All was fine until one day a kid hollered "look at the baby on the back"! Well that did it for my daughter and she never road again. They are now 21 and 19.

Hopefully we will get the enjoyment of grand kids in a few years. The 21 year old is married but not wanting kids yet. Enjoy cause the grow up soooooooooooooooo fast!!

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TandemNut View Post
    So she'll eventually be the AORTA mascot? Cool - with her on the Trail-a-bike and Jeanne keeping you captaining responsibly as a result, we might actually be able to keep up with you!
    My Captaining is responsible...it does not really matter the direction the bike is pointed, provided it is going in the proper direction, correct.

Actually though, it may be a problem I have not preferring to use brakes.

You all ride good and go plenty quick.

PK

Teen Wolf
    super cute picture!!!

K&K
    Paul, I'm trying to find one with the shock. Is "Adams Shocker Tag A Long" the model name or ... a made up name

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ki5ka View Post
    Paul, I'm trying to find one with the shock. Is "Adams Shocker Tag A Long" the model name or ... a made up name
    Adams Shocker is the real name.

I don't know how crafty you are, but I almost got to the point where I took a cheap kids bike and built one.

The Shocker has not been made in a long time, so they are a bit tough to find.

I did find FOX piggyback shock in a junk box and same rate spring I may install as an upgrade.

PK

K&K
    I had that thought when I looked at it.

I've never done any frame-building in metals but do have a bit of experience with wood, epoxy and fiber. Many years ago I built a trailer for our girls, mostly out of laminated ash, that I pulled them down State Park trails in. Turned out, the ash was pretty springy and one particular bump had them well in the air. Seems I had plenty of spring but no dampening. A shock seems like a really good idea :P

I did wonder how involved it would be to build. It doesn't look like there's much of a conventional bike that would be of use in that design.

Maybe this summer...

K&K
    Paul,
    Tried to PM you twice, got bounced both times...

K&K
    PK
    Looks like it went through when I sent a "fresh" message rather than a reply to an old one. Let me know if you didn't get it.
    k

PMK
    mtbr member
    Yes It did come this time.

PK

K&K

Private Message issues

Sent another PM.

It seems that I can't "reply". I recall you having issues with this before.
    Was it the same problem (just replies) or was it all messages?
    Did it fix itself, or did you do something?
    Anyone else having this issue? (attempts to "reply" to a PM results in an error message, yet I can send a NEW Private Message with no problem.)

K&K

What he said :)

Name:  1-tagalongwyatt3.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  31.9 KBName:  1-TagalongWyatt1.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  30.2 KBName:  1-20140606_155726.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  32.5 KBName:  1-20140606_155646.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  26.6 KBThanks to PMK we now have our own TagALong and it is a riot! We had our first test ride with our stand-in grandson, the neighbor boy. Have a weekend of riding planned in the Laguna Mountains in SoCal this weekend where we will try it out with our genetically authentic grandkids. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Looks like Fun!!

K&K

Cool-blue Rhythm Testing the limits of a Trek Mountain Train

This is just too much fun~!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails If you ever get the chance to try this, do it.-tricycle.jpg  

PMK
    mtbr member
    Good to see it being used and people are enjoying it.

PK