mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Future Tandem Developments: Full suspension plus? Full Suspension Fat?

When will we see a plus sized full suspension tandem?

I asked Sherwood about it last year before we ordered our El Jefe.

If I could get the El Conquistador with a plus sized triangle, I do believe that'd suffice

I'd also be interested in a full suspension El Jefe, that would be too cool for words!

MTB Tandem Nut
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    When will we see a plus sized full suspension tandem?

I asked Sherwood about it last year before we ordered our El Jefe.

If I could get the El Conquistador with a plus sized triangle, I do believe that'd suffice

I'd also be interested in a full suspension El Jefe, that would be too cool for words!
    You can run 27.5 x 2.8" tires on 35mm rims in a 29'er ECDM frame and fork. We're doing a few builds like that now. Rear tire clearance is similar to 29x2.4" Ardents.
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TandemNut View Post
    You can run 27.5 x 2.8" tires on 35mm rims in a 29'er ECDM frame and fork. We're doing a few builds like that now. Rear tire clearance is similar to 29x2.4" Ardents.
    Does it lower the bb at all? How does it affect handling?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm also interested in a FS El Jefe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTB Tandem Nut
    Quote Originally Posted by sisu View Post
    Does it lower the bb at all? How does it affect handling?
    It lowers the BB slightly, but the 29'er is higher than the 26'er and 27.5'er, so that's not necessarily a bad thing.
    Not enough time on it to have anything definitive on the handling yet, other than it feels like it turns quicker like a 27.5 does, but also feels a bit longer (which it is). Still playing with the tire pressure on the 35mm rims as well, and that will have a major effect on handling.
    Hoping to try some slightly wider rims shortly as well.
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It lowers the BB slightly, but the 29'er is higher than the 26'er and 27.5'er, so that's not necessarily a bad thing.
    Not enough time on it to have anything definitive on the handling yet, other than it feels like it turns quicker like a 27.5 does, but also feels a bit longer (which it is). Still playing with the tire pressure on the 35mm rims as well, and that will have a major effect on handling.
    Could you get Sherwood to modify the rear triangle to fit plus tires?

I like 27+, I run them on my bike and was running them on the Jefe, but for a tandem mtb, 29+ is where it's at for roll over and bridging obstacles that can't be avoided.

I like the Jefe, but my wife wants a cushier ride and I think FS would improve handling.

mtbr member
    Could you get Sherwood to modify the rear triangle to fit plus tires?

I like 27+, I run them on my bike and was running them on the Jefe, but for a tandem mtb, 29+ is where it's at for roll over and bridging obstacles that can't be avoided.

I like the Jefe, but my wife wants a cushier ride and I think FS would improve handling.
    You should ride a 29er ECDM with 2.4 tire on 35mm rim. It's pretty darn close to what you are talking about.

Admittedly not the same...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I rode 29 x 2.4 Ardents on wide rims, it is not even close to the ride I get on 29+ Dirt Wizards.

Tandems are so much better handling on fat tires.

Quote Originally Posted by ds2199 View Post
    You should ride a 29er ECDM with 2.4 tire on 35mm rim. It's pretty darn close to what you are talking about.

Admittedly not the same...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    How much clearsnce in mm at the stays and bridges? Which tire are you using?

MTB Tandem Nut
    How much clearsnce in mm at the stays and bridges? Which tire are you using?
    I'll have a couple of builds coming up shortly and can measure the actual gap then.
    The gap is very similar to the Ardent 2.4 when using the WTB Trailblazer 2.8.
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Me as well. I would think a new rear triangle for the ECDM would be a much easier build than a whole new frame. Sticking with 27.5+ or 29+ would allow keeping the standard BB shell.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    Me as well. I would think a new rear triangle for the ECDM would be a much easier build than a whole new frame. Sticking with 27.5+ or 29+ would allow keeping the standard BB shell.
    Yes, but when I asked Sherwood about modifying the rear triangle, he said he didn't have time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Do you happen to have any pictures of B+ rear clearance?
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I too am interested in 27+. Rode a Salsa Pony Rustler in Sedona - AMAZING. Think that would be a sweet spot for tandem mtb. Only have a road tandem presently, but keep dreaming about pulling the trigger on an ECDM (Have 2 single ventana's for myself).

While off topic from wheel size, but on topic for future development - anyone know of applications of the Pinion gear box on a tandem? A quick google search says pinon was testing one, but that was it. Think the gear range of the P1.12 at 600% vs Rohloff at 526% makes it attractive as well as not having all the mass as rotating mass (thought Pinion is heavier than Rohloff). Seems like it would be a good fit for tandem overnights...and Ventana is already making a HT single bike for the Pinon gear box (wolfram). Co-motion has it too on a single bike - but doesn't look like it is on any of their tandems...yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If it's just traction and suppleness you're after, you should try the Schwalbe Procore system. I ride my 26" ECdM with my 8 year old son with the rear tire at ~14 psi in a wider than labeled 2.35 Kenda Excavator, and 50 psi in the ProCore chamber. It's a FANTASTIC solution to getting more grip without the risk of burping tubeless or rim damage. Our terrain is loose, technical, and chundery. It's greatly enhanced the capability of the ShredSled.