Thread: Finding an ECDM

K&K

Finding an ECDM

WOW, I didn't realize how hard it would be to find a shop with one to ride! How did you all do this? Did you order sight-unseen?

mtbr member
    sight unseen for us.

PMK
    mtbr member
    AORTA test ride for us.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    I haven't been able to find one to test ride in my area as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    A very limited market for road tandems and even more limited for mtn tandems. We are fortunate enough to be four hours away from Alex so a test ride was not an issue. One advantage to being such a small market is the folks involved are very knowledgeable and passionate about mtn tandems and have no problem taking the time to discuss any questions you might have.

It's well worth the effort to get involved with an off-road tandem.

strow

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    As indicated, virtually zero bike shops will have demo ECdMs, even shops that carry Ventana. It's too high-dollar and too little in demand for any normal shop to stock on the floor. If you live near enough to Alex/MTBTandems, he's the only shop I know that does have demo bikes. Depending on what level of bike you're looking at buying, cheap plane tickets to GA might be worth it.

Aside from buying blind, your main alternative is to find a nearby tandem team that will let you take their bike out for a spin.

We came from road tandems, bought a cheap KHS off-road tandem to try our local fireroads, then jumped on a local ECdM that came up for sale. Five seconds of test-ride off a sidewalk curb was all we needed to know

K&K
    Yep, that is what we are finding. We thought about flying to GA, but not quite that desperate yet. Getting lots of great info from a couple folks on this site, making me feel a bit better about buying unseen. Got one lead on a used bike that I'm waiting to hear back from.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    We had friends that had an ECDM and we had a Fandango.( We bought the Fandango sight unseen through Alex.) It was an older 26'r and the frame was made and assembled in China. It was a good hardtail but does not compare to the Fandango of today. We had occasion to ride the ECDM of our friends and a demo at AORTA and after a few rock gardens with the full suspension the wife told me that we must get one of these. Who am I to argue???? I know Alex said he had tandems for rent at AORTA this year so that might be an option if its not too far away. We will be there and its really a good time with some great folks.
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    the Snot Rocket tandem
    ECDM

K&K
    Found ours, thanks all!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    There's an Ellsworth Witness on EBay if anyone else is looking for a duallie. I'm still waiting for a Fandango to come available.
    Our Stable: Yeti ASR-5, Yeti Big Top , Yeti ARC-X, Orbea Diva, Co-Motion Speedster, C'dale Road Tandem & Strider

K&K
    Looks like a scream'n deal to me!

mtbr member
    Too bad it's not the correct size for us.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flip998 View Post
    Too bad it's not the correct size for us.
    I thought Elsworth tandems came in one size fits all.

PK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post

PK
    It is ture that the Ellsworth only comes in one size. I don't think it is fair to say that it "fits all". We looked at the Ellsworth and it had a taller standover and longer top tube than I would prefer. Also of note is that the rear triangle is from the Truth XC bike and it has been alleged that it is not up to the tandem task. I think I recall from another local tandem team that Ellsworth discouraged the use of a 203 rotor with the Witness rear triangle..

If it were me, I'd hold out for a ECDM. My experience with Ventana frames has been nothing but top notch.

Good luck and happy hunting.
    Last edited by ds2199; 02-22-2014 at 08:02 PM.

K&K
    I know nothing about Elsworth's tandems, and only know of Elsworth's rep by proxy, so I probably spoke out of turn. I'm with ds, can't imagine a one-size-fits-all that does ..(fit all)

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ds2199 View Post
    It is ture that the Ellsworth only comes in once size. I don't think it is fair to say that it "fits all". We looked at the Ellsworth and it had a taller standover and longer top tube than I would prefer. Also of note is that the rear triangle is from the Truth XC bike and it has been alleged that it is not up to the tandem task. I think I recall from another local tandem team that Ellsworth discouraged the use of a 203 rotor with the Witness rear triangle..

If it were me, I'd hold out for a ECDM. My experience with Ventana frames has been nothing but top notch.

Good luck and happy hunting.
    Echo this 100%

PK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post

PK
    Unfortunately, I have never had very good experiences with anything that was "one sized fits all". I am worried about stand over height as I am 5'6" with a less than 30" inseam. I like the fact that the ECDMs have enough frame size combinations to tailor fit the teams. The new Calfee Ellsworth Witness come in 5 different size combinations, it will cost you though.

http://www.ellsworthbikes.com/bike-p...y_features.pdf

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flip998 View Post
    Unfortunately, I have never had very good experiences with anything that was "one sized fits all". I am worried about stand over height as I am 5'6" with a less than 30" inseam. I like the fact that the ECDMs have enough frame size combinations to tailor fit the teams. The new Calfee Ellsworth Witness come in 5 different size combinations, it will cost you though.

http://www.ellsworthbikes.com/bike-p...y_features.pdf

A bit different...you are buying a Calfee, not an Elsworth. I would be pretty confident Craig Calfee will stand behind his name on the bike, whereas there are some serious horror stories about Tony? Elsworth and broken bike warranty issues.

BTW, yes Craig Calfee is pretty proud of what he builds and it shows in the price.

PK