Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Feedback Needed (Ergon Grips)

Any TEAMS using Ergon grips?
    What models are you using? I would like to try some with the small bar ends for both ends of the Rig
    Thanks

mtbr member
    My stoker requires them. She has used the small and large bar end style. In fact, I need to get some for our new bike.

I used to think that i needed them too, but went with some standard grips when we built up our ECDM 29 and have not really missed them. I think on longer endurance type rides, it is nice to have another hand position.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I use them on all my bikes and on the tandem, my favorite is the cork style. If you get them set right, they support the palm and provide a better platform for controlling the bar. If they're too big for your hand, they can make control harder, so size appropriately.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    XCM, we use GX1 for trail, GP2 for long rides. No issue chopping one for the grip shift.

The Ergon grips without any bar ends (like my GX1) are big enough for me to just grab by the end of the grip as though a bar end. Then I don't need to think about not snagging bushes.

For long rides, I think the hand position of a Jones H-bar will rival any grip for comfort. I'm going on a tangent there, but I had many days last year on my GP2s wishing my bar had more than 5 degree backsweep.

Cheers...

K&K
    Hilarious, ... I'm sitting here thinking, "gott'a get me a set of those bad boys", then looked at the pic and realized, we got them! LOL

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Have them on all of our bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    XCM, we use GX1 for trail, GP2 for long rides. No issue chopping one for the grip shift.

The Ergon grips without any bar ends (like my GX1) are big enough for me to just grab by the end of the grip as though a bar end.
    Looking at the GS1 now in white and they don't come in a gripshift model...So you are saying that these are easy to cute to size???

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for the feedback Guys!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ki5ka View Post
    Hilarious, ... I'm sitting here thinking, "gott'a get me a set of those bad boys", then looked at the pic and realized, we got them! LOL
    What model you guys running?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by XC Mike View Post
    Looking at the GS1 now in white and they don't come in a gripshift model...So you are saying that these are easy to cute to size???
    Yes, a hack saw leaves a reasonably smooth cut that can be finished with sandpaper. You could probably use a steer tube cutting guide for the straightest cut. The grip is just rubber and plastic, no issue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I went with the GS1 and so far I like them, but I haven't used them yet...
    Just riding around the block a few times

mtbr member
    Mike... make sure you pay close attention to the grip position. ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS I position mine with the very slightest wrist bend (as described in the link) and it has helped a lot with numbness that I get on longer rides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Huh. I have my Ergon grips positioned about as they suggest on the link above, and I get numb pinkie fingers (both hands) on even moderate 3-4 hour rides. I initially went with the Ergon because I wanted a larger grip to fit my hands. Have since found the ODI Rouge. Have them on my single and soon will try them on the tandem as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacons View Post
    Mike... make sure you pay close attention to the grip position. ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS I position mine with the very slightest wrist bend (as described in the link) and it has helped a lot with numbness that I get on longer rides.
    Thanks.... I did set them up so the ball of my palm has more support I will take a few pics tomorrow

PMK
    mtbr member
    And I am the odd man out...I rode a couple of bikes with the Ergons on them. Not mine but others. The positioning felt good, but I could never get comfy with them. I grew up with round grips and am not known to hang on tight.

Having using Scott ATV grips for a long time. Think they still call them Hurricane style, full waffle, pretty soft Kraton.

Some bikes are glued on if they have aluminum bars, if the bars are carbon, they get lock wired and sometimes both.

All the best with them, a lot of people run them.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

ALM
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    When we went to MTB Tandems back in August to test ride a Fandango they were the first thing she noticed. All I heard was how comfortable the grips were. It was just another selling point for me that we needed a new tandem!! : )

She still loves them and reminds me every time we ride. I do not have them up front.

ALM
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    XC Mike I would like to see those pics. Does the shape make it more difficult to change gears? I searched for a video of the GS1 but found nothing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I compared the gp1 vs gs1 at my local shop before I ordered them online only because they didn't have the gripshift model in stock.
    I do like both but I feel much better on the gs model Its smaller in size....Feedback Needed (Ergon Grips)-uploadfromtaptalk1426211940691.jpgFeedback Needed (Ergon Grips)-uploadfromtaptalk1426211986378.jpgFeedback Needed (Ergon Grips)-uploadfromtaptalk1426212036521.jpg

K&K
    Just got another pair for the front, largely because of this thread, and I found I go instantly numb now, where with round grips, used to take at least a few miles before that happened. Gonna play with the position, but at this point, thinking of going back to round. Stoker loves her's.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Don't hang on so tight...

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post

PK
    I was thinking the same thing....Relax and enjoy the ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ki5ka View Post
    Just got another pair for the front, largely because of this thread, and I found I go instantly numb now, where with round grips, used to take at least a few miles before that happened. Gonna play with the position, but at this point, thinking of going back to round. Stoker loves her's.
    Make sure you are not wearing gloves with gel pads in them as the grips are designed to for the natural shape of your hands. I use them on a flat-bar road bike and found this problem. Switching to smooth palm gloves, and angling the grips down to a nearly horizontal position suited me best...............you have to try all angles rather than just following the manufacturers advice.

K&K
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post

PK
    I was thinking the same thing....Relax and enjoy the ride
    You don't know my stoker she's all of the place, if I don't hold on we're gone!

LOL Not really, she's perfect. Don't think I'm clenching but two of you say the same things so I'll have to think about that! Our last few rides (since putting on the grips) were on paved paths. On pavement, I usually ride with my hands pretty much open, at least I THINK I do. Sometimes when the pain gets real bad I ride flat-palmed with my thumbs on top...

Don't really think there is a solution, fact of life at my age. Best solution I have found is to ride more difficult terrain, then I'm too busy to think about it

Speaking of difficult terrain, Paul, seems like I just saw a great video from you showing some great technical riding, but now I can't find it... Maybe you can repost it for inspiration!

K&K
    Quote Originally Posted by switchbacktrog View Post
    you have to try all angles rather than just following the manufacturers advice.
    No gel. Only one or two rides, will play with the angle if I keep them, but think I'm going to find them too bulky when maneuvering. Even on the flat, I find it restricts the options for hand position in a way that I don't like. I'll give them a few more rides, but think I'll be going back to a smooth round grip.

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1426211940691.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	972342
    On a skills course I went on a few years back, I was told that Ergon grips had no place on an MTB used for technical riding as there's no way you can drop your wrists to the "correct" position for technical descents and braking.

With Ergon grips set at the recommended angle, the loading line through your arms goes down and above the top of the bars which can contribute to an "over the bars". By using conventional round grips, and raising the angle of the brake levers higher than those in the photo above, if forces you to drop your wrists so the load line is either central or below the bars (as in the link below).
    ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS
    I know that on a tandem you can't get "off the back" as much as a solo so it doesn't matter as much, but it's worth considering. What works for one person may not work for another, so it's a bit of try it and see really. The "conventional" advice of straight down the arms and fingers to the brake levers is OK for a road bike but perhaps not for an MTB.

Perhaps a compromise would be the Ergon Technical range.........
    ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast