mtbr member

Fat Tandems Builders accommodating 100mm rim w/ 4.8" tire

I'm hoping to gather some intel as to who is actually building fat tandems that accommodate a really big rim/tire combo (100mm rim with 4.8" tire)

Specifically:
    What builder is building or plans to build a frame that can accommodate the biggest tire/rim combo available? (100mm rim with 4.8" tires)?

For those that meet the criteria above, what drive train are you running? Cranks?

What forks are you running?

How are the rear hubs working out with tandem loads?

Whatever else is relevant, chime in.

Thanks for your input!
    Last edited by ds2199; 6 Days Ago at 01:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I think Scott Quiring would be the one to ask about making something that big. When I had our double-Pugs built, I considered using two Moonlanders instead, but heard that the high offset wheel/chainstay makes for a noodle-y ride. What is your team weight? Are you riding in really deep conditions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    I think Scott Quiring would be the one to ask about making something that big. When I had our double-Pugs built, I considered using two Moonlanders instead, but heard that the high offset wheel/chainstay makes for a noodle-y ride. What is your team weight? Are you riding in really deep conditions?
    Thanks for following up. As far as I can tell, Quiring is the only one making such a tandem at this point.

You asked if I am riding in really deep conditions? I would say that really deep conditions on a tandem are likely not going to work. The added weight makes things harder, but that is why I'd like to have the biggest tire/rim possible. I run a 4.8 on 80mm rims and that is more than I need a lot of the time (but I'm only 155 lbs). I think I could get away with 4.0 tires on my single bike and be fine most of the time.

I'd like to have the best possibility of riding the tandem in snow. The groomed trails or snow-shoe'd trails will likely work best, but we're up for trying to see what we can do.

What I'm trying to avoid is buying a tandem that is limited at an 80mm rim and wishing that I could just try those fatter rims.

In the end, 100mm rims and 5" tires may not be "enough", but I'd sure like to try!

Regarding your double pugs your consideration of the Moonlander, I have actually thought about a double Ice Cream truck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Actually, a tandem ICT would be great, but by the time you bought two frames ($700-ish each) and the extra tubing and labor to join them, you are looking at close to the same price as a custom Quiring. I went with the Pugs because I already had one, plus a bunch of donor parts, so I only needed to buy one extra frame, which are pretty cheap.

PMK
    mtbr member
    DS, not to derail your topic of 100mm rim width, but FWIW, our local guy running a 29 ECDM has intentions of building a rear wheel with the Russian CF rims.

He seems confident this will fit, but not sure what tire he plans to run. Obviously this will not be for snow, but rather softer sandy conditions which should be similar.

Pretty certain it is this rim, but I could be wrong.

Naran 80 Carbon Fat Bike Rims | Sarma USA

If you want, I can let you know how it fits / works. Not sure what his time frame is to accomplish this. You can even call and ask...Tommy @ The Bicyclery , 561.684.8444.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!