Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Fandango Thread

PMK
    mtbr member
    We have both, and for this household 26" is long from dead.

Granted the 26" is a full suspension bike, but it accelerates, slows down and is far more workable on a technical trail than our 29r.

The 29r has it's place, but it is nowhere near a perfect replacement for a good 26" bike. Single or tandem.

The big front wheel plays with the geometry a bit for anything more than cross country type riding.

Both platforms have merit...the trick is building the best compromise.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Smile 26 or 29r

Great feedback. It looks like I will end up keeping my Ventana 26 full suspension bike and look at getting a 29r. Although a bit crazy I am still hoping to get a hard tail like the Sandman tandem for 3 .8 inch tires. For those of you who have ridden a Pugsley, or equivalent, you will understand.

SOMETIMES SLOWER CAN BE BETTER

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tndmnuts View Post
    Great feedback. It looks like I will end up keeping my Ventana 26 full suspension bike and look at getting a 29r. Although a bit crazy I am still hoping to get a hard tail like the Sandman tandem for 3 .8 inch tires. For those of you who have ridden a Pugsley, or equivalent, you will understand.

SOMETIMES SLOWER CAN BE BETTER
    The first part of owning the pair of tandems makes sense if the places you ride warrants the possibility of needing suspension 26 and hardtail 29.

Recently DS, sold his ECDM 26 and stepped into a ECDM 29. Photos of where he rides makes the decision a wise no brainer.

As for the Pugsley...I have ridden one, considered one, and pretty much decided no. FWIW, we ride a lot of sand. I deal with it a lot, and if it is so sandy that a regular tired bike can't ride it, well I'd rather spend the day at the beach metal detecting for 1715 fleet treasure or other cool stuff.

PK

PMK
    mtbr member
    Months have gone by with little activity on this topic about the Fandangos.

As the OP of this topic, and one with many post into it, I wanted to update a bit. Early January we did a long ride on the Fandango. I was already suffering from an injury but rode anyway. The hardtail Fandango worked great, as it always does on longer rides.

We completed the ride, but quickly learned my back was not well. So with months off from riding in the dirt, we sadly decided to sell our Fandango. This was tough as it was our "Go-To" bike since purchasing it.

After having it listed for a while, the Fandango was sold to a new team in the Midwest. During the course of having the bike listed for sale, many of the inquiries were ultimately tire kickers. No big deal, and honestly had no problem recommending Alex as a source for them to buy a new bike. While we hated to part with it, when the new owner explained the type of riding he preferred, where he rode and what his other bikes were, Jeanne and I both smiled knowing the Fandango would go to a new home and be ridden as intended.

I've have had very little correspondence with the new owner, but did receive an email from him recently. Very few words and a photo.

To quote "Bike is rocking!"

And the photo, tough to see on account of the small size, but the Fandango with a first place trophy resting on its handlebar.

Made us both smile.

PK
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Good to hear the old tandem is doing good.........
    Here is a question was the Fandango only a 29er I never read any post on 26" before

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by XC Mike View Post
    Good to hear the old tandem is doing good.........
    Here is a question was the Fandango only a 29er I never read any post on 26" before
    Pat and I started our MTB tandeming on a Fandango 26er. The frame was manufactued in China and imported. A year later Alex brought the Fandango line back to being a Made in the USA frame and converted to the 29er platform. Although we loved our 26 Fandango it wasn't half the tandem that the new 29ers are. We traded up to an ECDM and are very happy with it.
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    the Snot Rocket tandem

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by giff07 View Post
    Pat and I started our MTB tandeming on a Fandango 26er. The frame was manufactued in China and imported. A year later Alex brought the Fandango line back to being a Made in the USA frame and converted to the 29er platform. Although we loved our 26 Fandango it wasn't half the tandem that the new 29ers are. We traded up to an ECDM and are very happy with it.
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    the Snot Rocket tandem
    Ed do you have any old pictures of the 26er?
    The more I look at the ECDM Thread the more I want one........But I do love my C-Dale it's great and when it's on the Road it's a Rocket

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by XC Mike View Post
    Ed do you have any old pictures of the 26er?
    The more I look at the ECDM Thread the more I want one........But I do love my C-Dale it's great and when it's on the Road it's a Rocket
    I will look. I'm pretty sure we do. If not I will take some the next time we ride with the new owners who we ride with semi regularly. I think you would find it pretty close to your Cdale. It did have a White Bros. dual crown Magic 100T fork and Magura Hydraulic discs. A pretty standard MTBTandems build. The ECDM is definately a bike to be excited about.
    Pat loves to tell the story of how I unclipped her and rode the bike out from under her on a log over that I hit a little too enthusiastically. I heard a thud and when I stopped and looked she was about ten feet behind me seated in the middle of the trail. That was on the hardtail Fandango. No such issues on the Ventana.
    Ed and Pat

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Heres two pics of the 26 Fandango.The frame and build is still out on the trails doing what tandems do best.
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    the Snot Rocket tandem
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fandango Thread-2009-11-08-097.jpg  

Fandango Thread-p1030030.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Nice lookin' ride Ed the one thing I wish the C-Dale had was Top Routed Cables.......
    The Red looks Sweet what was the asking price on these frames only?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks Mike,
    I can't remember exactly what the frame price was but I think it was somewhere in the $6-700.00 range. We loved that tandem but a few of the places we ride are filled with rock gardens. One time riding with friends that had an ECDM we rode a section on the hard tail then he said to stop and take the Ventana back and ride the section again with the suspension turned on. Not only was it smoother and
    more comfortable but I would guess twice as fast. After that my stoker said she would never ride the rock garden areas again until we purchased a Ventana. Hey, ya don't have to tell me twice! Pics of the Snot Rocket are in the ECDM posting if interested.

Ed and Pat
    TSRT

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

test

test post

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

where to post tandem classified?

Trying to sell my Fandango MTB tandem and see that MTBR has no tandem category. Any suggestions for good websites?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Place ad with MTBR and then post your link in this forum.

MTB Tandem Nut
    Quote Originally Posted by wendye View Post
    Trying to sell my Fandango MTB tandem and see that MTBR has no tandem category. Any suggestions for good websites?
    Email me the details. I always have folks looking for used ones.
    Thanks
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wendye View Post
    Having just done the same, you can use my previous ad as a guideline if you want to.

I listed here on MTBR, paid the $2 or whatever it is. Posted the ad in the for sale section then sort of copy and pasted here as a "Paid Spam".

This is what I ran for the add.

Paid Spam Fandango 29r,

You can also list it on

Tandem Magazine Online

Be prepared for a bunch of requests for more info and photos. We also had a pretty expensive build, this had many folks asking why they shouldn't just buy a new. I explained the cost to build a similar bike new, and also forwarded them to Alex at MTBTandems.com when it was obvious they needed a new bike with less of a high end build for less money.

It took a while to sell, but Jeanne and I both are happy our Fandango is being ridden as it was intended and built for.

Best of luck with the sale.

As Alex, the Tandemnut mentioned, send some details to me also. We constantly get inquiries when riding, or even just hanging out at the local shop.

PK

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    This is the Fandango thread post some pic's 26" or 29" ?

PMK
    mtbr member
    Where is the action on this topic, this is currently the best hardtail 29r offered. These bikes work, and work well. Share the love and post some stories / adventures about these bikes. Heck, brag about your machine and post the details.

PK

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Timely nudge, PK.

Ours has been in storage for seven months while the wife worked an outa state gig. We'll be back on ours in coming weeks; just in time for hero dirt and prime weather

Hope everybody's been too busy riding to report...

Mike

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    New Fandango owners here with barely few enough miles to chime in on this thread. Although I'd rather be out riding this weekend, we have had almost 4" of rain in the past 24 hours with another 1-3" in the forecast for today, so, since I've tweaked and wrenched on every bike in the garage that I can, I figure I'll add what I can here with more to come.

I/We have the good pleasure of living ~4 miles from the worldwide HQ of mtbtandems.com with a heck of a good local trail system smack inbetween - Blankets Creek (BC). BC has ~18 miles of tight, and in some cases, techy singletrack for a single bike much less a tandem, so it really makes for a great proving ground. The trailhead is 2.2 miles from our garage, which is a perfect warm-up ride. Thus far, this has been the extent of our adventures.

The details:
    Size small, carbon black Fandango
    Std DC9 drivetrain w/X9 grip shift, fr/rr derailleurs
    Std DC9 cockpit bits, thudbuster, etc.

Wheels: We have put some initial miles on a demo wheelset while our wheels were being built. The demo wheelset is a std HOPE Evo Tandem hub built around a Velocity Blunt35 rim with brass nipples and 14/15 db spokes. The wheels have remained true thus far and the wide 35mm rim does a beautiful job of spreading out the tire casing. So much that we have yet to feel the front push in the turns; likely helped with the aggressive tread pattern of the WTB Bronson. Speaking of which, the Bronson appears to be a nice mix of fast rolling and grip - durability is yet to be determined.

I have become accustomed to having King hubs on my single bike and look for that almost instant engagement offered by the 72pt pawl. Also, it's a hub I'm familiar with working on and the ability to keep consistency in the garage is another reason to have the tandem wheels built up with Kings. That said, the Hope Evo build has been solid and true thus far and if these were our permanent wheels, I'd run them with no problem.

Fork: We opted to skip the dual-crown Loop and spec ours with a single-crown Magic 100. Our first ride out I didn't take the time to understand the adjustments available on the fork - my fault. The second ride was much better and the fork performed very well with the adjustments made. We are on the light end of the scale at a team weight of 265lbs, so we are all the way on the end of the adjustability scale for the Magic. After some time talking with Suspension Experts in Asheville, NC, I believe that we can spend a few dollars and have them work some magic into the Magic. The fork is really oversprung for our weight and SE indicated that they have had luck using Fox springs on the fork and good success working on the damper. So, at some point, we will likely send the fork off for a custom tune. However, if it continues to feel better with each ride, there may be no need to...

Brakes: We had the opportunity to upgrade our brakes from the Magura MT4s to the venerable Hope Vtech4s. Besides being a machined work of art, the brakes can haul down 325lbs of bike and people to a stop on an absolute dime. I'm very impressed with the brakes thus far and look forward to some rides in the mtns with long downhills and the opportunity to really heat up the system. I'm sure the braided steel lines and 203mm rotors will do a great job of dissipating heat.

Pedals: Crank Bros Candies for Captain and Stoker.
    Grips: Ergon GS1s for the Stoker, standard for me until a new shipment of ergons arrive at mtbtandems.

Changes we have made thus far from delivery are limted only to both the Captain and Stoker handlebars and a million and one adjustments to seating and cockpit position. I installed a flat, wide and swept back aluminum bar in favor of the narrower stock bar that was spec'd. Primarily to mirror the fit on my 29'r single bike, but also to settle down and offset the super-quick handling of the 74deg head angle. The 710mm wide bar and 110mm Thomson stem did a great job of giving a nice stable platform for slow speed crawling and a better position for railing through the woods at speed. If anything, it made me feel more comfortable and familiar to what I'm used to.

For my stoker, we went narrower with a slight rise to mimic her position on her single bike - it made a lot of difference to her. We also swapped a blue for a grey elastomer in her thudbuster and put the blue one in the saddle bag for when the grey cracks on the trail.

We had only an OK ride our first time out as I didn't take enough responsibility to set the bike up properly for the ride; we were excited and just went. So, we were both a bit uncomfortable and sore, but knew it could be better. We did have a great time though...

Before our 2nd ride, I spent 2-3 hours setting up the bike's fit and front suspension to mirror both of our single bikes. Thus, our 2nd ride was all smiles and really a great time.

As we get a few more rides, I'll update with specific ride characteristics. But for now, we love it and can't thank Alex enough for his kindness and accessibility in getting us setup. If you're reading this and on the fence, go for it! You won't be disappointed!

Michael and Carin

Last edited by mhopton; 05-05-2013 at 08:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Fandango Thread

Still raining here; I think we've had 5.5-6" of rain over the past 4 days. I did find some time to swap the WTB SpeedV seat over to my other favorite WTB saddle, the Silverado. I've been using this model saddle for the past 6-7 years and it fits my hide really well.

In the pic below, you can see the difference in the thickness of the two saddles. The Silverado is a firmer saddle that puts me back on my sit bones where I'm more comfy for longer rides.

Oh well, no rides to report, but will update mods as they happen.

Last edited by mhopton; 05-07-2013 at 04:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Am pondering getting back into a tandem. I had a Santana road back in the mid 90's, then a Santana mtn in the late 90's set up with a child stoker for my then very young son. Long since sold but on the wrong side of age 50 now I really need to get back riding. Pavement blows here in LA so dirt is the only viable option unless I want to get run off the road by some driver on his/her cell phone. My wife happily rides on the back of our GS motorcycle, so I figure she'll be ideal as a stoker (unlike my ex-wife who really didn't like the idea - there's a story or three there).

At any rate, looking at Fandango DC-9 or a Ventana build. Mostly seems to be a question of DS or not. I'm thinking we'll be mostly fire road and probably some pavement (unavoidable). That seems to lean towards the DC-9 but comfort is king for an aging body.

Advice/pushes either direction happily read.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    ybt, welcome, and congrats on the new stoke for a big bike.

We went Fandango DC9, then Fandango Tourista in hopes of some bikepacking missions. Meanwhile it's our tandem for local singletrack, and I have to say that it's pretty incredible on tech terrain with the Magic 100 fork and 2.4" tires.

We see some FS rigs and think of how that would dreamify our chunk riding. But how many bikes can one own? With an existing quiver it's hard to justify every flavor.

I'll say flatly that you cannot go wrong with MTB Tandems or Ventana.

As always it's about what you like to ride, plan to ride, preferred characteristics, and what compromises you're willing to endure. For what you describe, I think a Fandango would be a great choice. I'm no stranger to back issues and over 50. I won't own a hardtail single bike. The Fandango back wheel is so far behind me I don't get the brunt of the feedback, and we've done numerous long day rides.

Patrick and the other Ventana teams could shed light on the Ventanas; you might pose a similar inquiry about ECDMs in the ECDM thread.

Cheers,

Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ybtodd View Post

Advice/pushes either direction happily read.
    I am fortunate enough to have both! As noted, it depends on your riding. That said, our Fandango sees less daylight than our ECDM 29. Both great bikes and very capable. We have raced both bikes in 60, 70 & 100 mile races and both high quality machines!

If you are going to do mostly fire roads, then maybe opt for the Fandango. If you think you'll tackle more rocky singletrack, go FS. My wife says that the thudbuster helps but is no substitute for FS on the bumpy stuff.

Any specific questions? feel free to ask.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Fandango Thread

Put some good miles this week on...well, haven't settled on a name yet, but my stoker likes, "hindsight", "bump-n-grind", and a few others, so at this point, it's the no-name tandem.

We picked up our wheelset from Alex on Wednesday before a planned ride and dropped off the demo wheels. To recap, demo wheels were only different in hub choice, Hope vs. Chris King. I settled in for what turned into a much longer process of setting the Velocitys up tubeless than planned. For whatever reason, they were a bear, but finally succumbed (thanks Alex for letting me use your shop and tools to do the task!).

We shod the new wheels with WTB Wolverine Tubeless tires. They are supposed to be 2.5 in width, but looked narrower than the 2.2 Bronson. The tread pattern is slightly different, smaller and closer spaced knobs than the Bronson. My seat of the pants test says they roll a bit faster, but that could also be because they are setup tubeless.

We also opted to spec the 203mm Hope floating rotors to really do the VTech brakes justice. I think they look mean but, the brake and rotor combo sure will haul you down to a stop fast and, so far, with zero fade.

Lastly, my stoker just couldn't get comfy on the WTB saddle and asked me to find the same saddle on her Trek Lush - a Bontrager Evoke. Well, I did, but it's white; I didn't complain because it was free! Maybe a black one will turn up on eBay. She was much, much more comfortable on last night's trail ride.

We are starting to get comfortable with the fork as it loosens up a bit. I'm at about 15psi which gives me about 20% static sag. The IMV setting is 10 cliks out from full off (-). The fork is stable thru turns and not wallowing since finding a rebound setting that works. This is all helped, I'm sure, by running 30psi in the tubeless tires.

Long ride, for us, planned for today as I slowly build up my stokers endurance. First I need to spend some time adjusting the fr/rr derailleurs as we finally have enough miles on the cables for them to stretch and degrade performance.

Here we are as of today...maybe I'll remember to take a picture outside on today's ride rather than in the garage!

Oh yeah, we also changed the cassette to a 12-36 - that jump from 34 to 36 sure is nice to have!

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast