Fandango Thread

Printable View

• 03-10-2015
    She&I
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TandemNut View Post
    Mike, I posted that on our FB pages, hope that was ok. Great video - please do more!
    In fact, you need to come to the next AORTA and get lots of footage and make a full-length feature...

So many trails and so little time! Glad you liked the snippet, no issue cross-posting. We have an outing in the works for later this year which could stoke some passion, so I'm saving my pennies. Onward!...

theotherMike
  • 03-12-2015
    andrusc
    I put a Gravity Vidar (made by Innova) tire on the front of my Fandango that has a White Brothers Magic 100 (single crown) fork. What an improvement to handling and bump absorption over narrower tires I've had on the bike. The tire is labeled 29x3.0 but it seems slightly narrower than a 29x3.0 Surly Knard. It has moderately-sized knobs -- they wrap generously around the tire and dig in strongly on a lean. I've tried them on hard pack, chunk, and slime mud and now problems. I prefer the grip to the Panaracer Rampage (2.35), which until now had been my favorite tire.

The tire is light but the sidewalls aren't flimsy. On the Sun MTX 33 rims they are egg shaped but they didn't squirm when I dropped the pressure down to 17 psi. I wouldn't hesitate to use these tubeless.

This switch was well worth the $40 I paid for the tire (Amazon). I would put one on the back but too tight. Two of my single bikes will also get this tire in the front. It fits in a Vassago rigid fork and a Fox Float (2011 model) but not a Reba RLT (2012 model). It would fit both front and back on my Singular fat bike but the 80mm rims would swallow this tire.
  • 03-12-2015
    andrusc
    edit: "no problems" instead of "now problems"
  • 03-12-2015
    XC Mike
    1 Attachment(s)
    Why Not it's a Fandango!!!Attachment 972350
  • 08-29-2015
    andrusc
    Several times I've had the chain drop between the smallest chain ring and the frame and lodge in there tight. Because it is hard for two people to immediately slack off on the pressure when this happens it usually means links get mangles or the smallest chain ring gets bent. Yesterday's bad shift meant a long walk back to the car for me. The frame is a Fandamgo about 5 years old and the crankset is a Middleburn triple. Do you have any ideas how I might install a device that would keep the chain from binding in that slot should I ever again blow a shift and unship the chain to the left?
  • 08-30-2015
    Team Breeze - Screamcycle
    Try something like the 3rd Eye Chain Watcher for ~$10 that clamps to the stokers seat tube and prevents the chain from derailing to inside.
  • 08-30-2015
    andrusc
    The 3rd Eye Chain Watcher doesn't seem to have good reviews. Problems with it scratching the frame and falling apart. This seems to work for a lot of folks though: N-Gear Jump Stop Chain Guide > Components > Drivetrain, Brakes and Pedals > Chain Tensioners and Guides | Jenson USA

Worth a try for $10.
  • 08-30-2015
    Okayfine
    Are you sure the lower limit screw on the front mech is adjusted correctly? Might it could take a little more inward movement while still allowing 2-1 changes?

FWIW, when I shift down chainrings (as opposed to the rear cassette) I will call "Down." which means to my stoker to let off pedaling torque. I've done the same, then shift, then reapply power once I hear the normal chain noise.
  • 08-30-2015
    andrusc
    I have the lower limit screw set so the edge of the cage just brushes the chain leftward. The chain unships infrequently and usually during a desperation shift involving lots of frame twist and crank torque. On a single bike one can anticipate problems with a desperation shift and quickly let off the power but on the tandem my stoker can't sense the upcoming situation and she is still powering-on, which usually means the chain gets stuck good between the bearing and the small chainring. I notice that most modern frames are designed so that space is greater or less than the width of the chain so that an unshipped chain just needs to be fished out and put back on the chainring. Unfortunately, the spacing on this Fandango is exactly the width of the chain and it eats the chain instead.
  • 08-31-2015
    TandemNut
    Something's not adjusted right if it's still dropping the chain inside the small ring. Has the FD twisted slightly on the seat tube so the cage isn't exactly parallel with the chain?
  • 09-07-2015
    Okayfine
    Back to andrusc's problem. Are you dumping to granny while in the middle of the cassette? With my chain length dictated by big/big+2 links, the chain loses tension if I'm in granny and mid-way down the cassette. The RD can't take up that much extra length, easy for the chain to fall off the front with the action of the FD.
  • 01-20-2016
    ALM
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 1044260

Have not posted here in a while. This was Thanksgiving Day 2015 at Dupont State Park NC. Riding off some of the turkey! Still love our Fandango DC-9 from mtbtandems.com