Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Fandango Thread

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I
    Cool upgrades... titanium softtail BOB trailer. Picking it up in utopia next week. Agree, tough to justify that new WB fork. But that doesn't mean we won't. Half a pound, hmm...

PK, hope your racer buddies got/get tooled up. Black Sabbath is now a fond memory.
    A ti Bob trailer sounds very cool.

In regards to the fork, I have not seen one yet, nor ridden one, merely posted for conversation.

I must be having a grandpa moment because I'm not sure which racers and how Black Sabbath got tied in. Can you clarify for my tired old brain?

PK

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    PK:

"The team that's interested race adventure races, their wives work the logistics and race support for them. So this would be a male / male team. These two are fit and fast so they are interested in a hardtail and JJ freaked out when he saw ours."

That should rattle some neurons

B. Sabbath was our much-loved, first Fandango. We're down to Black Magic now.

Mike

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I
    PK:

"The team that's interested race adventure races, their wives work the logistics and race support for them. So this would be a male / male team. These two are fit and fast so they are interested in a hardtail and JJ freaked out when he saw ours."

That should rattle some neurons

B. Sabbath was our much-loved, first Fandango. We're down to Black Magic now.

Mike

Not sure what they are doing, have not seen them in a while. Thought they may have made the trip to Santos for a test ride. Maybe the economy has them pinched for the moment.

PK

MTB Tandem Nut
    Just built...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fandango Thread-white-fandango-photos-03252011004.jpg  

Fandango Thread-white-fandango-photos-03252011005.jpg  

MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    ok, ok ! Now my interest has really been peaked:
    tell us more about the White Brothers single crown fork !

andy applegate

MTB Tandem Nut
    This is basically a single crown version of the Magic 100T that is on your tandem. Uncut weights appear to be about 8oz lighter for the SC. Rake/offset is a bit different too.
    Same price and internals as the DC fork. We've requested some minor tweaks to the fork that WB has graciously accomodated, and the second generation will be available in about a month. Initial impressions are that this fork really wakes up the handling even more on the Fandango, as it has a bit more offset and rake. I don't have any high-speed experience with it yet, so not sure how it will behave in you guys' natural environment of warp speed.
    Last edited by TandemNut; 04-02-2011 at 09:01 AM.
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

PMK
    mtbr member
    We are beat, pretty hot and sunny day, many hours of seat time, with just under 65 miles. Lot of time spent in the small front ring of our 2x9 exploring trail often too wet to ride. With no rain, these were finally accessible to see where they went. No rain also made other typically fast and packed dirt roads had been graded smooth and were so soft we sank in to the spoke nipples. Yes we had to get off and push.

So 11 hours of bike time, some riding with friends we happened upon as we headed out, some riding alone after our friends had to be back by 1pm. We are trashed, thoroughly heated but not sunburned.

Aside from being dusty, that Fandango does not care and never missed a beat.

With spring there should be some pretty cool adventures rolling under the tires of the workhorse machines.

PK

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

New Fandango DC-9

Wow! My wife and I just got our new Fandango last week and since reading these posts played a big part in our decision on getting the bike, I thought it seemed right to come here and say how impressed I already am.

Bad news first (since that's the order it came in)...the ordering wasn't without hiccups and there were more delays than I would have liked...including a mix up on the invoice that both Alex and I missed where they ended up sending us the wrong size frame the first time. However, to his credit, Alex did send us a new frame and worked with our local bike shop to get the parts switched over.

Yet, all the ordering adventures were worth it when I got on the bike. I took it out for a test ride by myself first on the canals by our house figuring that we (my wife Windy and I) had a long learning curve ahead of us. However, the bike handled so well that by the end of the afternoon Windy and I were over riding together on the singletrack by our house. We're both experienced mountain bike racers but this was our first ride on a tandem since one ill-fated 75 mile road ride on a rented tandem about 5 years ago. I was expecting a lengthy learning curve but I honestly it's going to be at least 3 to 4 times faster than I initially thought.

Just really, really impressed with the bike and the way it handles and rides. We even gave some serious consideration to packing things up and heading to Sea Otter this week to race it already but neither of us really wanted to make the 11 hour 1-way drive this weekend.

We're looking forward to spending more time on the bike and getting some racing in on it this summer. Thanks to those who posted here and had a hand in our decision.

Dave

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dccycling
    Wow! My wife and I just got our new Fandango last week and since reading these posts played a big part in our decision on getting the bike, I thought it seemed right to come here and say how impressed I already am.

Bad news first (since that's the order it came in)...the ordering wasn't without hiccups and there were more delays than I would have liked...including a mix up on the invoice that both Alex and I missed where they ended up sending us the wrong size frame the first time. However, to his credit, Alex did send us a new frame and worked with our local bike shop to get the parts switched over.

Yet, all the ordering adventures were worth it when I got on the bike. I took it out for a test ride by myself first on the canals by our house figuring that we (my wife Windy and I) had a long learning curve ahead of us. However, the bike handled so well that by the end of the afternoon Windy and I were over riding together on the singletrack by our house. We're both experienced mountain bike racers but this was our first ride on a tandem since one ill-fated 75 mile road ride on a rented tandem about 5 years ago. I was expecting a lengthy learning curve but I honestly it's going to be at least 3 to 4 times faster than I initially thought.

Just really, really impressed with the bike and the way it handles and rides. We even gave some serious consideration to packing things up and heading to Sea Otter this week to race it already but neither of us really wanted to make the 11 hour 1-way drive this weekend.

We're looking forward to spending more time on the bike and getting some racing in on it this summer. Thanks to those who posted here and had a hand in our decision.

Dave

Sorry for helping you spend your money.

Hope you enjoy it for many happy miles. Ours is truly an offroad excursion machine.

Also, where's the photos of the new ride. Didn't even see mention of the color or curiosities of the build.

PK

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hello All,
    Well, we've joined the Fandango club! Here is a pic of the two of us with our new DC-9. It is stock except that we decided on the mechanical brakes instead of the hydraulic version. We are loving it so far. We regularly ride a road bike, but thought this would be a great addition to the fleet. We were right about that. We would love to find other riders in Massachusetts or Southern NH for some off road rides.
    Joe and Kathy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fandango Thread-j-k-fandango.jpg  

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    Alex,

Is the new WB fork lower transferable to the DC versions? I'm guessing higher rake?

Ben
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by japm
    Hello All,
    Well, we've joined the Fandango club! Here is a pic of the two of us with our new DC-9. It is stock except that we decided on the mechanical brakes instead of the hydraulic version. We are loving it so far. We regularly ride a road bike, but thought this would be a great addition to the fleet. We were right about that. We would love to find other riders in Massachusetts or Southern NH for some off road rides.
    Joe and Kathy
    Hi and Welcome Joe and Kathy,
    Pat and I have ridden with you guys at several ETR's in the past. Glad to see you've finally come to the "dark side". We love MTB tandeming and find it as our bike of choice lately. We have a Ventana ECDM( also purchased from Alex) and love it! Your Fandango 29er sure looks sweet and we hope to ride with you guys sometime this year.We had a Fandango 26er for several years and have a great many fond memories on it. We are members of the DOGS and generally show up to events with Brenda and Larry Isherwood. Brenda has a few events planned for this year at Raystown Lake in PA and Kingdom Trails in VT. The details are posted on the DOGS website. We will be going to Kingdom Trails.Good luck with the new tandem.
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    the Snot Rocket tandem
    Toms River, NJ

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by japm
    Hello All,
    Joe and Kathy

Nice bike, enjoy it.

And look at that nice hardpack dirt, like the bike, looks fast.

Having rolled many miles off road on a single bike in Mass, the NE is a place we both want to ride the tandem. The rocks like in New England are something we don't have in Florida.

We would love to do Kingdom Trails with the DOGS, just doubt we could pull it off with work.

If we head North we'll try and look you two up, probably look up some of the NJ teams and see if we can sneak a ride in with them too.

PK

MTB Tandem Nut
    Quote Originally Posted by benwitt11
    Alex,

Is the new WB fork lower transferable to the DC versions? I'm guessing higher rake?

Ben
    Ben,
    The lowers are very similar to the DC version, but not the same, The difference in the handling is coming from the offset/rake difference, which is mostly in the crown itself.
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

MTB Tandem Nut
    Goldie Lox:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fandango Thread-gold-fandango-photos002.jpg  

Fandango Thread-gold-fandango-photos006.jpg  

MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TandemNut
    Goldie Lox:
    More like Miller High Life .

It looks really good.

East Coast or West Coast?

Build details?

PK

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    PK, Miller High Life? More like a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

MTB Tandem Nut
    Quote Originally Posted by clj2289
    PK, Miller High Life? More like a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.
    BINGO! shipped this one to Colorado.
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

mtbr member
    Can you share what city? We need to meet our new Fandango friends...

PMK
    mtbr member

Did the customer supply the fork?

PK

mtbr member
    Goldie Lox:
    I just noticed, no Thudbuster? My stoker might not be to keen on that...

Alex - let the proud new owners of that bike know that theres a small contingent of MTB tandems here in Colorado and they should PM me if they have any interest in getting out with the group.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Got a chance to check out the latest version of the Fandango frame.

Some very welcome changes, but nothing that makes an earlier Fandango 29r obsolete.

We run a big rear tire and it is a close fit. (Panaracer Rampage 29x2.35). Where our frame is always close and wears away paint from wheel flex, the new frame is changed with wider seat stays at the top.

The new frame also has gone to the 1.5" headtube standard. This cool for a couple of reasons. First is the ability to run a full 1.5" or tapered or even 1 1/8" fork. Second is the Cane Creek adjustable headset setup. Using this with a 1 1/8" fork, you can alter the effective angle of the steering axis (headtube angle).

I also heard the stoker seattube angle is laid back more. This is allowing more tire clearance, especially in regards to the front mech. FWIW, our previous version frame, runs a Shimano STX front mech, stock it cleared the tire, but I was able to trim off the actuating arm for downpull action, this gained some welcome clearance, but even more would be better. Additionally, after talking with the owners of the new single crown equipped bike, they commented that the already great rear grip was enhanced with the ability to get over the tire easier.

I was able to do a short dirt road test ride on two of the newer bikes. One had the new single crown WB fork at the stock angle. The other was an MTBTandems.com demo bike. The demo bike had the adjustable headset with it set for a steeper angle. The difference in feel regarding effort to turn the bars and slow moving manners was easily noticed.

Again nothing to make a previous frame obsolete, but nice refinements of the original design making a great bike better.

Just sharing some thoughts.

PK

MTB Tandem Nut
    Just built:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fandango Thread-black-ventana-black-fandango006.jpg  

MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

MTB Tandem Nut
    And this one too:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fandango Thread-black-fandango001.jpg  

MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    PK,

Thanks for your thoughts and observations on the new frame. We've got a new one coming and are looking forward to it very much. We've already planned to take some vacation time for the shakedown rides.

For now the road tandem will have to do.

strow

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast