Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Fandango Thread

the mostly reverend
    howdy, folks. i'm new to this thread, and i'm this close to fandango ownership: we bought a used one, and it hasn't arrived yet.
    as such, i have nothing to offer from experience, but i have read this thread, and have enjoyed the description of bikes and rides. we live in iowa, and have been a tandem team, the female companion and i, for just over a year. we've been doing lots of riding with our roadie, a santana sovereign, and as many races as we could find and fit in. but it wasn't enough, so we slapped on some knobbies, and hit the cross circuit, and even did a mountain bike race on it.
    seriously hooked, we looked around for months, and after riding other folks' tandems, they all told us if they had it to do over again, they'd get a fandango.
    so we did. we found a 26" fandango tio at a very reasonable price, and are waiting for it to arrive.
    not having a bike hasn't stopped us from entering races, though. we have a 100 miler lined up in may, and a 200 miler in june, with a bunch of shorter races scattered here and there.
    we love riding tandems, and put about 8000 miles on the santana since getting it in late april--up until the snow dump ended that run.
    it will be interesting tweaking the bike so that it suits our needs, and i look forward to getting tips from these posts. i won't hesitate to ask.
    anyway, howdy, all, from cold and snowy iowa.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerkim
    howdy, folks. i'm new to this thread, and i'm this close to fandango ownership: we bought a used one, and it hasn't arrived yet.
    as such, i have nothing to offer from experience, but i have read this thread, and have enjoyed the description of bikes and rides. we live in iowa, and have been a tandem team, the female companion and i, for just over a year. we've been doing lots of riding with our roadie, a santana sovereign, and as many races as we could find and fit in. but it wasn't enough, so we slapped on some knobbies, and hit the cross circuit, and even did a mountain bike race on it.
    seriously hooked, we looked around for months, and after riding other folks' tandems, they all told us if they had it to do over again, they'd get a fandango.
    so we did. we found a 26" fandango tio at a very reasonable price, and are waiting for it to arrive.
    not having a bike hasn't stopped us from entering races, though. we have a 100 miler lined up in may, and a 200 miler in june, with a bunch of shorter races scattered here and there.
    we love riding tandems, and put about 8000 miles on the santana since getting it in late april--up until the snow dump ended that run.
    it will be interesting tweaking the bike so that it suits our needs, and i look forward to getting tips from these posts. i won't hesitate to ask.
    anyway, howdy, all, from cold and snowy iowa.
    Welcome Bikerkim!

Congrats on the new Fandango! WOW 8000 miles, and I thought we rode a lot!

DirtyKanza in June?? We'll want to hear all about your races - good luck!

the mostly reverend
    we like to ride! ((-;
    kim

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Welcome Kim,
    We spoke on the DF list about your new Fandango. Lots of really knowledgable folks here. Have fun with your new steed.
    From snowy, XC skiing NJ,
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    the Snot Rocket tandem
    Toms River, NJ

the mostly reverend
    somehow or other, the female companion received your reply in her email. she, too, not only expressed interest in this thread, but also in learning from the experience of others how to get better herself in this mountain biking thing.
    kim

the mostly reverend
    well, we got the fandango, put it together, and have been riding it when possible, but like the rest of the country, we got wallopped with snow, so it has been cross country ski time here again.

but the bike itself is great fun. quickly slapped on some bar mitts and a rear fender for the female companion's comfort, and have been tooling around, tweaking and fine-tuning the settings, and trying to stay warm in the sub-zero weather that preceeded the big snow. no trail riding yet, but we'll be more than ready when it happens. love the set-up on the bike, but we will be adding soon the thudbuster seatpost for the stoker. does ANYONE like the tamer that comes with it? i have no idea what it's supposed to do.
    no photos yet--not many others out riding, so no one to take an action shot yet.

stay warm, if you want to!!
    kim

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerkim
    but like the rest of the country, we got wallopped with snow, so it has been cross country ski time here again.

stay warm, if you want to!!

Please define rest of the country...Sunny and 78 today, it was tough to deal with.

Seriously though, enjoy the skiing, glad you got the bike and enjoy it.

PK

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hi, Fandangoans/tandemers,

Setting up our Fandango Tourista for the Great Divide trail, seeking advice. Alex, especially looking for any input from you, being the Nutt you are : )

Plan on off-loading most of the cargo to a BOB trailer rather than going the frame bag route. With that in mind, I'm thinking we have much more fork on the bike than will be needed on a ride of 80% dirt road and 10% paved. We're a 270 lb team.

In leiu of the White Bros T-100 on it now (which we love for general singletrack use) I'm thinking a light single-crown fork would be more suited to the ride. Offhandedly considering a rigid fork. Still running Thudbuster in rear. Would not be opposed to considering TB in front, a gel cover, or cushy saddle.

I have done some homework on the Divide, but of course the wild card is: just how bad is bad and for how long. I've owned a fully rigid MTB, so am somewhat braced for what we find. One BOB model has suspension, which could factor into our system. I'm ambivalent on which BOB presently.

Thanks in advance for any nuggets!

Mike

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I
    ....... With that in mind, I'm thinking we have much more fork on the bike than will be needed on a ride of 80% dirt road and 10% paved. .......
    "Ninety percent of this game is half-mental." - Yogi Berra

I guess this fork thing is driving you half mental.
    I can't afford new equipment for one ride, I'd just ride what I had.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    you may want to create your own thread instaed of using this one. Wow I envy you. I want to ddo this as well and probably on a tandem for the company and safety. I hear you on the rigid fork since you can lower the air pressure at times to give you a little suspension. I would highly recommend talking to so of the people who completed the ride. I do not know that much but am familar with it because Mathew Lee lives near me and a few others who competed. I would actually be more worried about the bok trailer on technical portions than the rigid fork. I would definitely ride stuff with a rigid fork that I would not cosider riding and pulling a trailer

Good luck! I would love to hear how it goes so I can start planning / training

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107
    "Ninety percent of this game is half-mental." - Yogi Berra

I guess this fork thing is driving you half mental.
    I can't afford new equipment for one ride, I'd just ride what I had.

The entire route it is not 1 ride it is a 2700 mile tour. Even if they are doing a shortened (cutting off portions) any reduction in weight and or efficiency will make a big difference. If you have alreay invested over $4k in a bike and will be forking out a lot for the journey a few $'s is worth it.

MTB Tandem Nut
    Hi, Fandangoans/tandemers,

Setting up our Fandango Tourista for the Great Divide trail, seeking advice. Alex, especially looking for any input from you, being the Nutt you are : )

Plan on off-loading most of the cargo to a BOB trailer rather than going the frame bag route. With that in mind, I'm thinking we have much more fork on the bike than will be needed on a ride of 80% dirt road and 10% paved. We're a 270 lb team.

In leiu of the White Bros T-100 on it now (which we love for general singletrack use) I'm thinking a light single-crown fork would be more suited to the ride. Offhandedly considering a rigid fork. Still running Thudbuster in rear. Would not be opposed to considering TB in front, a gel cover, or cushy saddle.

I have done some homework on the Divide, but of course the wild card is: just how bad is bad and for how long. I've owned a fully rigid MTB, so am somewhat braced for what we find. One BOB model has suspension, which could factor into our system. I'm ambivalent on which BOB presently.

Thanks in advance for any nuggets!

Mike
    Hey Mike! Glad to hear you're getting to ride tandem again.
    Funny you should mention the fork thing...I have some info that may address that very subject, but I am not at liberty to post it here yet. We should know in a couple of weeks. Give me a call and I'll give you the details.
    I'm envious of your trip! Be sure to take lots of pictures.
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    RE "one ride"...I was looking at it like 50 or 60 rides

Alex: veddy interestink! I'll buzz ya in March to get the scoop. Holler at me prior with any scoops if ya like.

Thanks for the feedback, peeps. At a leisurely pace with no deadline, it sounds like a pretty mellow time. I did a chunk of it last Fall by myself, so I have a little better idea what to expect.

We're excited to get out there and forget about normal life. We've been scheming how to get ten weeks off, and pretty much have it in the bag now. Prolly won't be able to do it until '12, but it's definitely on. We're way into being out there ourselves, but open to some days of tandem company if any of you fine teams need a break and think you can keep up with me drinking.* After the day's ride, o'course.

Cheers,

Mike

*JK. Alcohol consumption encouraged but not mandatory. My stoker abstains. Usually. Patron shots notwithstanding...
    Last edited by She&I; 02-17-2011 at 11:49 AM.

mtbr member
    RE "one ride"...I was looking at it like 50 or 60 rides

Alex: veddy interestink! I'll buzz ya in March to get the scoop. Holler at me prior with any scoops if ya like.

Thanks for the feedback, peeps. At a leisurely pace with no deadline, it sounds like a pretty mellow time. I did a chunk of it last Fall by myself, so I have a little better idea what to expect.

We're excited to get out there and forget about normal life. We've been scheming how to get ten weeks off, and pretty much have it in the bag now. Prolly won't be able to do it until '12, but it's definitely on. We're way into being out there ourselves, but open to some days of tandem company if any of you fine teams need a break and think you can keep up with me drinking.* After the day's ride, o'course.

Cheers,

Mike

*JK. Alcohol consumption encouraged but not mandatory. My stoker abstains. Usually. Patron shots notwithstanding...
    Let us know as you get the timing of your trip planned, we may be able to meet you guys when you roll through Colorado.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Sounds fun, ds. Will do!

Sorry to monkey up the Fandango thread. Shoulda new threaded as advised.

MTB Tandem Nut
    Just built.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fandango Thread-bike-pics-02252011002.jpg  

Fandango Thread-bike-pics-02252011003.jpg  

MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TandemNut
    Just built.

2x14 Rohloff?

...and for what specific reason.

PK

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Alex, will you bring that to Santos? Monica and I would like to ride it!

MTB Tandem Nut
    This particular tandem will be used as a support vehicle for a thru-hiker on the PCT later this year. As it will see a wide range of terrain from singletrack to roads, the owner wanted a corresponding wider gear range.
    It's already on the way to it's new home.
    We may look at building something like this for the demo fleet, but that won't happen until the new frames get here, which looks to be after Santos, unfortunately.
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Alex, do you have an Rohloff's in your demo fleet for Santos? Any new features coming in the new frames?

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    Looks a lot like our Fandango. I love the setup. Just a great bike all around.
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Wondering how many are considering getting the new White Brothers single crown fork? We are still happily running an ATC.

Anyone have any cool upgrades planned?

PK

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Well PK, what advantage(s) would there be? Alex seemed to think the single crown is only about 8oz lighter than the double crown. Would the single crown allow a tighter turn radius? If it boiled down to only a minor weight savings I would rather stick w/piece of mind a hang on to my double crown.

PS-FYI there aren't many ATCs that run as smoothly as yours.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Cool upgrades... titanium softtail BOB trailer. Picking it up in utopia next week. Agree, tough to justify that new WB fork. But that doesn't mean we won't. Half a pound, hmm...

PK, hope your racer buddies got/get tooled up. Black Sabbath is now a fond memory.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by malaclemys
    Well PK, what advantage(s) would there be? Alex seemed to think the single crown is only about 8oz lighter than the double crown. Would the single crown allow a tighter turn radius? If it boiled down to only a minor weight savings I would rather stick w/piece of mind a hang on to my double crown.

PS-FYI there aren't many ATCs that run as smoothly as yours.
    Seems the main advantages will be as you mentioned less weight and the tighter turning. Having gone from the Headshok Moto on our Cannondale, to the ECDM with the ATC, the only downside to the Fox 40 is the limits on how far it turns to hit the steering stop. There have been a couple of times when this caused us a problem but only a couple.

If the fork is legitimately a 1/2 pound less that is never bad.

I do know that I would like to find the time to convert our Fandangos ATC to air. With a set of ATC springs coming in at just over 1 pound, an air conversion would be a big deal for the ATC fork.

As for the stiction and overall smoothness of the ATC, I'm not sure when or where you saw / felt the fork. Glad you thought it was one of the better ones. The binding / stiction / overall lack of good feel to slide is something Alex and I have spoken about. I don't have a good answer yet on how to make it good, it seems it's more an accumulation of details. I now have three ATC forks in my possesion and plan to spend a bit of quality time before AORTA, hoping to get the Fandango fork a bit more up to par.

I will say that big ATC does draw a crowd, and steers very well.

PK

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast