Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Fandango Thread

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    If only I had those winning powerball numbers...a nice big corporate jet, bike racks in the back to pick you folks and your gear up at a local airport, and then we fly west to kick the butts of the west coast teams, until we can't breathe, fall over and gasp for air.
    If you're gonna dream, go big

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Still doing some minor tweaking, though I did figure out why things felt so twitchy: Narrow bars.

I swapped out the 680mm to a 740mm bar and a shorter stem (75, then a 90), which gave me way more control and reduced the twitchiness a whole bunch. With the wide bars I was really able to "throw it around", BUT I was getting some wrist pain not relieved with Erg grips or tweaks to my riding position, SO I bought some On One Fleegle bars

Cool name, "Fleegle", but even cooler design, kinda in between a Mary bar and a standard riser bar, with a nice bit of flare and an offset mount so it "sorta" approximates a normal hand position. I went off on a ride without a round the block test, and lo and behold the bar offset is not enough, so my stem was really long and I felt super stretched for the whole ride, DOH!

I just got a shorter stem, now running a 60mm stem with 7deg rise, this places my bars in a comfortable reach and I feel like I have the power and control balanced. The Fleegles are a little narrow at 720mm, but with the substantial flare they don't feel too narrow; I may add extenders to make them 740mm.

I you like a flared bar, but find the Mary to be excessively flared, check out On Ones Fleegle, they have then on sale in the USA, two versions are available, the Pro and standard. The Pro is narrower, the standard is 720mm and is easilly shortened with a pope cutter. The colors are varied, I got silver because it was on sale

Another little tidbit I learned: Have a creaking EBB? Try rotating the EBB 180degrees and tightening in a clockwise direction. A buddy at the LBS suggested this when I explained how I had tried everything to calm the creaking, and lo and behold it worked like a champ! It did require a seat adjustment, but who cares, as long as it stops creaking!!!

Riding both days this weekend, trying to take advantage of the sunny warm weather before winter rains hit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Bump I got that itch again....
    Talked to Alex the other day and got me thinking of going 29" instead of dumping more cash into the C-dale...
    Anyone looking into getting a 29" ECDM and need to dump the HT???

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XC Mike View Post
    Bump I got that itch again....
    Talked to Alex the other day and got me thinking of going 29" instead of dumping more cash into the C-dale...
    Anyone looking into getting a 29" ECDM and need to dump the HT???
    Not sure on what budget you have...I would be looking into an ECDM 650 or whatever they call it. Hope to get a chance for a short test ride in a few weeks.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Can't wait for Alex to post "Just Built"
    Here's a question for you Guys
    WB Single vs Double Crown forks...
    Team is about 290 lbs No Big drop offs or jumping just XC type riding

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Mike,

As I mentioned to you in a PM, we've recently demo'd a few bikes - one of which was a new ECDM with a White Brothers dual crown fork w/32mm stanchions. For reference, we're a bit smaller than you guys with a team weight of 270-275. I was initially concerned that the the dual crown wouldn't give the turning radius in the tight trees, but was pleasantly surprised that we had no issues; the local demo trail (Rope Mill) has some very tight, decreasing radius, 180deg switchbacks. I felt that the fork was farily well damped and that the dual crown was a nice offset to the 32mm stanchions.

When I was in the shop, Alex showed me a new fork that was in from MRP in a 34mm stanchion, single crown. It looked goooood.... in fact, it looked good enough that I hope to pull off the Fox that I'm running and install one for a comparison (Oh Alex.....) to the Fox. Although unauthorized, we are using a Fox Float 34mm, tapered steerer fork that I spaced down from 150mm to 130mm in travel and replaced the float damper with a FIT damper. We've had zero issues running that fork but, we're a light team. I know that PMK runs a 36mm on his ECDM and I believe that ds1299 is also running a Fox without issues. But, that's your call and not something Alex can sell.

My opinion would be to steer clear of the older WB Magic 100 single crown platform; we just couldn't get it to work for us - hence the Fox. The WB dual crown was a nice riding fork and I'd run that all day long. Check into the new MRP single crown...that looks like it has the makings to be a weiner!

Name:  IMG_9936a.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  78.0 KB

PMK
    mtbr member
    Correction, PMK runs a Fox 40 Kashima DH fork on the ECDM, modified for less travel and more spring rate.

I hope you guys sort out what you need, but the 40 is by far the best performing fork I have ever ridden on bicycle. It it smooth enough when telescoping that it may be better than the highly modified fork on my KTM250.

Th 40 is not an approved fork. However, it has been a real performer in all regards and has never been a concern to land front low if the bike becomes airborn.

When we owned our Fandango, I had it setup with an ATC fork that had some mods done to it. That is an approved fork. Considering that any feature on the trail when riding a tandem is basically a controlled crash to get over, I have always considered the fork structure critical, especially in regards to tube diameters. The ATC is larger than a 40, but close. With a strong 29 wheel, we seldom backed off to get through stuff. Sometimes it was not pretty, but we rode that setup a lot and had very few problems. The fork i extremely simple in design, and wih a few mods very smooth and reliable.

I must have a found spot in my heart for the ATC forks...I have 2 complete ATC forks sitting under the workbench in the garage.

All the best in what you choose.

PK

PMK
    mtbr member
    To clarify something, is White Brothers suspension no longer offered since MRP is the parent company of WB. Or has MRP started a second child company to make suspension? Kind of a full performance line and a consumer line of suspension. I don't honestly know, that's why I ask.

PK

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Re: Fandango Thread

Hey Paul, sorry for the confusion on the 40 mm vs 36. I knew there was something not right about 36 but I couldn't recall that it was a 40.

As for MRP, they are the parent company of what used to be the White Brothers line of forks. As of this year, MRP has rolled up the white brothers name into the MRP name and and now offers their new forks only under the name MRP. So, going forward, you won't see a white brothers labeled fork that I know of; Alex can probably give more detail. Hope that helps.

Look forward to seeing you guys in a couple of weeks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
    Hey Paul, sorry for the confusion on the 40 mm vs 36. I knew there was something not right about 36 but I couldn't recall that it was a 40.

As for MRP, they are the parent company of what used to be the White Brothers line of forks. As of this year, MRP has rolled up the white brothers name into the MRP name and and now offers their new forks only under the name MRP. So, going forward, you won't see a white brothers labeled fork that I know of; Alex can probably give more detail. Hope that helps.

Look forward to seeing you guys in a couple of weeks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    That's what I guessed as far as WB vs MRP. See you soon and will only see your backside...

PK

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Mike,

As I mentioned to you in a PM, we've recently demo'd a few bikes - one of which was a new ECDM with a White Brothers dual crown fork w/32mm stanchions. For reference, we're a bit smaller than you guys with a team weight of 270-275. I was initially concerned that the the dual crown wouldn't give the turning radius in the tight trees, but was pleasantly surprised that we had no issues
    Thanks Mike good to hear...
    I guess I will stick to the DC we don't ride many tight places

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Time for a Bump!!
    More details and Pic's when FedEx drops Her off on WednesdayFandango Thread-img_1713.jpg
    A Big Thanks To Alex @ MTB Tandems for his Help and Work

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Re: Fandango Thread

Woot woot!!! Time to get it dirty....! Man, we love ours...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks Mike
    We just got back from Big Bear with the Fandango and all I can say is Wow!!!
    Getting some pictures together and I will post a video soon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fandango Thread-imag5847.jpg  

Fandango Thread-imag5848.jpg  

Fandango Thread-part_1407022575461.jpeg  

Last edited by XC Mike; 08-02-2014 at 08:44 PM.

ALM
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Mike that is a great looking bike! I wish Laura had longer legs so she could have a LT Thudbuster. Alex was concerned we would have to get a Ventana because Laura is only 4'10'. That was one reason we made the trip to check out the bikes. It is great that Alex offers the demos and I was glad we could make it in a hard one day drive.

She fit the Fandango with a ST Thudbuster and we were pleased. With what we ride locally we really do not need FS.

Get some more pics and I always enjoy watching tandem video! I know it will seem like a "eternity" wait to get the bike from Alex.

ALM
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    xxxx

ALM
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Woot woot!!! Time to get it dirty....! Man, we love ours...
    Great pic! You guys are so lucky to have a trail system right outside your door. We have to drive to the Houston area ( 90 minute drive ) to find some trails. If we make it back to pickup our new ride we will try to get together! You will just have to take it easy on us "old folks". We are more "sea level" kind of riders! lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ALM View Post
    Mike that is a great looking bike! I wish Laura had longer legs so she could have a LT Thudbuster. Alex was concerned we would have to get a Ventana because Laura is only 4'10'. That was one reason we made the trip to check out the bikes. It is great that Alex offers the demos and I was glad we could make it in a hard one day drive.

She fit the Fandango with a ST Thudbuster and we were pleased. With what we ride locally we really do not need FS.

Get some more pics and I always enjoy watching tandem video! I know it will seem like a "eternity" wait to get the bike from Alex.
    The wait will be worth it!!
    I can't tell you how many calls and emails Alex got from me lol...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Just added some Sexy...Fandango Thread-imag5871.jpgFandango Thread-imag5874.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Not sure if this is going to work...
    I don't have much skills when it comes to working on videos, This is my daughters first time riding Big Bear @ 7,000 feet and she has only been riding for a few months now...
    I will tell you she has improved 100%

Big Bear 2014 - YouTube

Big Bear Part 2 - YouTube

ALM
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Nice vids Mike. Did you have a chest strap for the camera?

What model cateye is that?

PMK
    mtbr member
    Great pic! You guys are so lucky to have a trail system right outside your door. We have to drive to the Houston area ( 90 minute drive ) to find some trails. If we make it back to pickup our new ride we will try to get together! You will just have to take it easy on us "old folks". We are more "sea level" kind of riders! lol
    FWIW, and not to stray to far from the topic, I have heard rumor that Alex also has a trail advocacy bone in him and was a big part of those trails getting access and being built.

Jeanne and I appreciate good trails nearby. All through the 90's, one of the best trails in Florida was adjacent to our neighborhood. Circa 2001, the trail was taken. Homes and a double strip mall was built. Now 15 years later, most of the strip mall has failed because new ones were built in better nearby locations, and the homes which sold initially as really overpriced for the location, have seen many deserted for declared bankruptcy or left for foreclosure.

Good local trails are a blessing, cherish what you have.

PK

ALM
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I heard the same Paul. While at Woody's Mountain Bikes in Helen I told them Alex said Hello. It seemed to be a blast from the past name! Woody's wife said that Alex was a pioneer in advocating mountain biking and getting trails built.

We do not have a trail near us. I am going to join the Houston group Ghorba.com

Greater Houston off road biking assoc. and see if I can get help/learn what to do to get some trails built around here. We have 2 nice LBS that probably sell more mtb and hybrid than road bikes. There are plenty of forest here in southeast texas to get some trails built. We have about 55 acres near the river and marsh in the family. Nothing on it, so I may just make one on it to start!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Nice vids Mike. Did you have a chest strap for the camera?

What model cateye is that?
    Thanks Allen yes that was with the chest mount I didn't have much time trying different shots because I was showing my daughter the ropes when riding off road...

I'm putting together a new mount that will work with the rear rack mounts on the Fandango and to make use of one of the bottle mounts.
    Trying to get a view like that on page #4 post #6 in the C-Dale Thread.

The Cateye is a Padrone it's for us Over 40 Guys that can't see the small numbers

mtbr member
    Just had this delivered today - it's a 3d printed GoPro mount that mounts on the saddle rails. Made in the UK by RaceWare Direct - that make lots of really nice 3d printed accessories (and some of those are printed in titanium).

Attachment 914605
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fandango Thread-img_1862-small-copy.jpg  

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast