Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The ECDM thread

PMK
    mtbr member

The ECDM thread

Well I started a Fandango thread so why not one for the ECDM's out there.

So share your thoughts, good, bad, what year bike, how it's built, the team that rides it, and where or what terrain it rolls across.

PK
    Last edited by PMK; 08-10-2010 at 08:00 PM.

PMK
    mtbr member
    The drive home from AORTA 2010 had us talking tandems.

Somehow I convinced the boss we needed another tandem. We decided to buy Tim from Knoxvilles 2006 ECDM in electric super dust.

The bike has a nice build with DT hubs, Sun rims, ATC fork, SRAM / Raceface drivetrain, Magura discs and Thomson based controls. Frame size is the "semi-custom" 21/18.

We went with our typical Terry saddles.

Upon getting the bike, I made some little changes in cable and hose routing. Frame saver'd the paint work, and gave her the once over for spoke tensions and shifting. Overall a great bike for us.

I did notice the rear shock upper bushing was 8mm ID on 6mm bolt. Not sure what happened there but purchase of a new bushing from Ventana got it corrected.

The first ride I noticed the rear Fox RP3 had to be run with rebound fully closed. Prior to the next ride the fluid was replaced and a damper service done. Still the rebound was to light. I pulled it apart and revalved the rebound circuit. Next ride had the rebound adjuster set mid way. The bike was working very well.

For whatever reason, I decided it needed a better rear damper, so I purchased a used 07 Fox DHX 5.0 air. This thing had a large air can. The damping action was excellent, but the air spring rate was to linear. I replaced the large can to a small can, restting pressures. This made the bike work even better.

The DHX damper has external adjustments for rebound, multi click pro-pedal, and bottoming ramp pressure. Almost too much to figuire out via stoker communication, but I think we dialed it in.

Fork is a modified ATC set at just over 100mm travel.

Things to like, suspension on rough trails.

Things I don't like, to me electric super dust always looks dirty, though it is cool in the sun.

We are a larger team at 370 dry, and the bike is ridden in South Florida primarily on very tight technical singletrack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK

...Things I don't like, to me electric super dust always looks dirty, though it is cool in the sun.
    Pictures??

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Might I suggest re-naming the thread title to include the full, non abbreviated name of the bike. Would probably get some more search hits and help newbies (like myself).

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008

Our El Conq

We have a 2006 El Conq in red. It was a surprise anniversary present for my lovely bride, and she didn't kill me for doing it...

It is a semi-custom 17/14 with a the toptube from a 19. We are a 300 lb team riding in the Colorado desert. Lots of rocks and moderate climbing. The spec was a MTBTandems basic: Sram X-9, Magura louise brakes, White Industries/Sun MTX wheels, ATC fork, RP23 rear shock.

Things we have done (or had to do):
    New fork - our ATC was bad. Now using Marzocchi Jr T. 170mm, which is more than I want but it works well.

New 5" rockers on the rear - I felt the suspension ramped up too quickly and we were not getting good travel use. I was torn between PUSH and new rockers. The 5" rockers really helped this.

New rear hub -blew up the White and are now trying a DT Swiss.

New rear Der (x-7) - tore the old one off.

converted the rear wheel to tubeless (ghetto) - works great.

Ergon grips - work well once the angle is dialed in.

Thinking of ditching the Maguras in favor of Avid BB7's, but haven't done it yet.

I'll post more pics when it is cleaned up from our Crested Butte vacation - but here's a couple of local riding shots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ECDM thread-12012.jpg  

The ECDM thread-12013.jpg  

Last edited by Trails4Two; 08-10-2010 at 01:30 PM.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ds2199
    Pictures??
    Eventually, been raining here since your request.

PK

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ds2199
    Pictures??
    Taken in sunlight after a wash down and wipe dry. Sometimes it sparkles in rainbow shades, but often looks just dirty.

PK
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ECDM thread-copy-img_0676.jpg  

The ECDM thread-copy-img_0677.jpg  

The ECDM thread-copy-img_0689.jpg  

PMK
    mtbr member
    Ours
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ECDM thread-copy-img_0679.jpg  

The ECDM thread-copy-img_0680.jpg  

The ECDM thread-copy-img_0690.jpg  

The ECDM thread-copy-img_0687.jpg  

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Wow! How Tall are you guys? Nice build up but wow, that's got to be one of the largest ECDM's I've EVER seen (And I've seen most of them!)

-A
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    Wow! How Tall are you guys? Nice build up but wow, that's got to be one of the largest ECDM's I've EVER seen (And I've seen most of them!)

-A
    That's the thing, we are not that tall. Stoker is 5"6" and I'm just touch over 5"10". The bike was bought initially to cannibalize and then have a new frame made with a stronger headtube junction made to reduce frame flex.

We test rode an ECDM at AORTA, which I believe was the same size front but 2(?) sizes smaller in the back. Ironically, neither the test bike nor our bike is yet to be a concern for my knackers, my short legs are long enough to flat foot me with some clearance when straddling the frame.

Overall top tube lengths (bars to saddle) mimic within a few mm all of our other bikes, both single and tandem.

Don't understand it, but it fits us decent and pedals efficient, just doesn't have a lot of seatpost extension.

PK
    Last edited by PMK; 08-13-2010 at 05:03 PM.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK

Don't understand it, but it fits us decent and pedals efficient, just doesn't have a lot of seatpost extension.

PK
    Hey, if it works for you, who cares!
    OLE!
    -A
    -Aaron G.

Ultra Ventanaphile

Our 2010 ECDM..

Just got into doing Tandem rides.

It's 2010 in Cosmic Orange (Kids Choice).

ustom Size, 19" Cap 16" Stoker with Double Taco gusset design yielding the standover of the 17" and 14".

Tandem Team varies from 270lbs to 300lbs depending on which kiddo is back there with me. (Kids are 6 and 8).

Build kid was a hodge podge of new and spare parts, the most notable being the Hershey Tandem Cranks (old skoo!).
    SLX Drivetrain.
    Marz DJI fork (130mm)
    and BB7 203mm Brakes.

Will be used mostly for family rides and smoother singletrack until kids get a little older and more comfortable back there. So far my 6 year old Daughter is by far the more aggressive one, wanting to tackle more rocks and bumps!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ECDM thread-conqui-10-006sm.jpg  

The ECDM thread-conq-side-mtbr.jpg  

-Aaron G.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    Just got into doing Tandem rides.

It's 2010 in Cosmic Orange (Kids Choice).

ustom Size, 19" Cap 16" Stoker with Double Taco gusset design yielding the standover of the 17" and 14".

Tandem Team varies from 270lbs to 300lbs depending on which kiddo is back there with me. (Kids are 6 and 8).

Build kid was a hodge podge of new and spare parts, the most notable being the Hershey Tandem Cranks (old skoo!).
    SLX Drivetrain.
    Marz DJI fork (130mm)
    and BB7 203mm Brakes.

Will be used mostly for family rides and smoother singletrack until kids get a little older and more comfortable back there. So far my 6 year old Daughter is by far the more aggressive one, wanting to tackle more rocks and bumps!

Very nice machine. I saw bike this posted in the Ventana forum a little while back.

Sorry for sounding abrupt about the bike fitting us. One thing I was noticing while looking at ECDM photos on the Ventana site, was that many ran a lot of exposed seatpost, and some times bars that were quite a bit below the seat height. Kind of an old school type position. Granted my bars are below the seat height also, just not as extreme as some.

Regardless though, your bike looks great in orange, most important though is you're enjoying it with someone special to you.

PK

Ultra Ventanaphile
    PK, no worries, I didn't think you were abrupt! I love the fact that you're made it work as is, that's cool.

I don't have much of a Choice with the Seat/Bar height. I have a 33" inseam with a 6' frame, so my legs are a bit longer than norm. My Seat will always be higher than the bars. Even my All mountainy single bike (Sorry for posting a single on the tandem forum) has lower bars than seat positon. Funny thing is, it sure doesn't feel like it!
    And thanks, we love "Orange Crush" and hearing the kids hoot in delight is a lot fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ECDM thread-bruja-float-mtbr.jpg  

-Aaron G.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi all,
    Meet the Snot Rocket. Our new "toy" we purchased from Alex following AORTA. We love it. Traded up from a Fandango 26'r hardtail to enhance my stokers comfort. Notice the big smile on her face in the last picture. Thanks to Alex and Sherwood for making this happen. Also, thanks to Paul for the picture uploading advice.
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    Toms River, NJ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ECDM thread-006.jpg  

The ECDM thread-008.jpg  

The ECDM thread-flames-005.jpg  

The ECDM thread-imgp5721.jpg  

The ECDM thread-imgp5724.jpg  

MTB Tandem Nut
    Hey Ed,
    Can you post some close-ups of your boom tube protection device?
    Thanks
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

PMK
    mtbr member
    Ed and Pat, as I said in the emails prior to you posting here, I love it.

Alex, great job on building such a clean looking setup.

Ed now needs to work on getting Larry and Brenda to get some photos of their Grinched Fandango on the other topic.

PK

PMK
    mtbr member
    There's obviously a lot more ECDM out there. I've seen many on MTBTandems site and the owners section of Ventanas site.

Post em up, it's nice to see the various ways these have been built up and setup. It will serve as good means to let others see possible upgrades, color combinations, or just ask how it is with the setup you run.

PK

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by TandemNut
    Hey Ed,
    Thanks
    Yes, please do! We need that!

It looks like maybe a fine paint job on a piece of PVC pipe cut lengthwise. Am I close?

I think we want ours to stand out as far as the chain, though.

Thanks,
    -F

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi All,
    Here are some pics of the skid plate. I need to start out by saying this is not my invention but that of my riding buddy Larry Isherwood. It is a piece of PVC piping but it isn't your Home Depot Sched. 40. It is very thin walled. I think the size is 3". We used to have a piping for sewer drain/DWV that was like this but the building codes have changed and now its all Sched. 40. The closest thing I could find was piping for an in home vacuum system and I couldn't find it locally. Larry found another small piece of this piping at work and made one for us as a gift for our new ECDM.( Thanks again, Lar) The material inside is thin foam weather stripping. Larry cut it by hand with a mini hacksaw and blade but I think a Dremil tool would do the job. You will notice the notch at one end. This is for chain and granny gear clearance. Also a series of drain holes were drilled in the bottom on centerline. It is cut so it fits snugly around the boom tube and would probably be OK like that but we use high voltage electrical tape that sticks only to itself to secure it at both ends. It leaves no glue residue on the finish.We have scraped over some obstacles and this takes the worry out of damaging your paint/powder coat finish. I put the color matched flames on just to add a personal touch.
    Please post any other inventions of this nature so we can all share our wisdom.
    Ed Gifford
    Toms River, NJ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ECDM thread-skid-plate-001.jpg  

The ECDM thread-skid-plate-002.jpg  

The ECDM thread-skid-plate-003.jpg  

The ECDM thread-skid-plate-004.jpg  

Ole'
    Mar 2004
    No, no... You want to wear your battle-scars like a badge of honor....

(really-large image linked to this photo; just click)

PMK
    mtbr member
    Not sure if this has been a concern for others.

We have had random ghost shifts. The most obvious and repeatable was a short rooty climb that used most of the rear suspension travel going across the roots at the top.

Checks of the rear der system found nothing.

After a few rides, I noticed some marks where the rear suspension upper strut pivot, would contact the front der cable.

For whatever reason, this frame has the braze on for the cable offset left from the seattube centerline. Perfect for everything except when the suspension fully compresses.

I devised a quick low cost remedy. Using a V brake noodle and liner assembly, I opened the factory bend slightly and trimmed the tube shorter. I reassembled the noodle, then trimmed the housing as appropriate for the noodles length. Reinstalled, connected and set the front Der cable.

So far it seems fine with no skips.

Just sharing some stuff.

BTW, late 2005 build as a 2006 model.

PK
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ECDM thread-copy-img_0691.jpg  

The ECDM thread-copy-img_0692.jpg  

The ECDM thread-copy-img_0693.jpg  

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008

Tandem (triple?) pic

Here's one shot from our vacation in Crested Butte this month. We did some other great trails, but nobody was there to catch a pic. This is at the bottom of an fairly easy family ride. My son (4.5yrs) is just starting to go on trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ECDM thread-0820a.jpg  

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008

Ciclistagonzo - question

Do you have a custom headtube angle? It looks more slack than others.

mtbr member

Skid Plat Close Ups on the ECDM - Screamcycle

Quote Originally Posted by TandemNut
    Hey Ed,
    Thanks
    Here is our two year old Screamcycle and it's well used skid plate that I made for it when as soon as I got the bike to keep the aluminum boom tube from becoming scraped up & flattened since we live in a rocky area in North Eastern NJ.

Happy Trails,
    Larry & Brenda ( TeamBreeze )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ECDM thread-2010-08-16-013.jpg  

Larry & Brenda
    (Team Breeze)

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast