Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 392

Thread: The ECDM thread

  1. #176
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Team Breeze - Screamcycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    17
    Looks like the pic Jeff & Wendy sent us this weekend.!!!!.....they said they are anxious to use it on the PA & VT trails trips this year. :-).....they always did sooo good...now they should really rock & roll on the trails...& have a bit more comfort on this bike!
    Larry & Brenda
    (Team Breeze)

  2. #177
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ds2199's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    679
    Quote Originally Posted by TandemNut
    Just built...
    Alex - tell us about that fork please.

  3. #178
    MTB Tandem Nut
    Reputation: TandemNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by ds2199
    Alex - tell us about that fork please.
    White Bros Magic 100T 29'er single crown. Very similar internals to the M100T dual crown version, slightly smaller air chamber. More bushing overlap than the DC actually. Very beefy crown structure, same 20mm dropouts, same IMV setup. Heavilty butted steer tube.
    Uncut weight of the SC is about 8oz + - less than the DC. (haven't weighed cut bersions yet. Suitable for lighter teams. .
    We are looking for a tapered steerer version later this year as well.
    Finally, another 29'er option.
    Maybe this needs a new thread. I'll get some more photos and some ride feedback soon.
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

  4. #179
    MTB Tandem Nut
    Reputation: TandemNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    647
    Just built...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ECDM thread-red-29er-ecdm-rohloff-photos003.jpg  

    The ECDM thread-red-29er-ecdm-rohloff-photos008.jpg  

    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

  5. #180
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    44
    Through the help of some members of this forum we bought a used EDCM in Jan in California and just last weekend we flew down to pick it up and get our first ride. We picked a very bad weekend due to extreme rains but did manage to get one ride in, which was very wet and very cold. The good news was we loved the bike and my wife who was skeptical of a mtn tandem had a blast. She is a very strong single bike rider and has enjoyed the road tandem but felt no need for a mtn one but is now convinced and is looking forward to captaining it with our daughter and daughter inlaws. I found the handling to be very forgiving and much like our singles just a little longer. Now that it is home we will fine tune the suspension to match our weight and conditions here in Alaska. thanks to all for the help
    Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ECDM thread-img_1177.jpg  


  6. #181
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    44
    In order to get our bike home I built a custom travel case that we can now use to haul the mtn tandem to events. It was built to meet the dimensions allowed by the airlines. It has wheels on the bottom to allow eay movement thru airports etc. It weights 39 lbs so with the bike it is just under 100lbs. Alaska Airlines charged us $50 to take it as a piece of luggage, in fact we brought 3 tandems home for $50 each (bike pro case and pro pedal case and the custom case). We love Alaska Airlines as they still belief in customer service and get all of our business.
    Enjoy
    Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ECDM thread-img_1181.jpg  

    The ECDM thread-img_1182.jpg  

    The ECDM thread-dsc_2300.jpg  

    The ECDM thread-dsc_2302.jpg  

    The ECDM thread-dsc_2307.jpg  


  7. #182
    MTB Tandem Nut
    Reputation: TandemNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    647
    Can you provide some details on what material you used and how you built that box? That's very cool.
    Glad to hear at least some arilines remember who pays the bills. Our hometown airline has completely forgotten.
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

  8. #183
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    25
    Is that corrugated plastic?

  9. #184
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    44
    The material is called Corocel made by the same company as Coroplast that is corrugated. The material I used is solid 1/4 inch thickness. I could not find the corrugated in the right thickness in San Francisco in the short time I was there or I probably would have used it. The solid material is very easy to "glue" they call it chemical welding with a pvc glue they sell for it that bonds it essentially instantly. We used butt joints with small pieces of the material bonded on the insides of the corners for reinforcement. I added some Aluminum angles on the corners for extra security but it probably wasn't necessary. The material is very easy to cut and I used a table saw to make all the cuts. The bike flew from San Fran to Anchorage with one plane change and showed no effects on the box. TSA inspected it and did not put the straps on as tight as I did so next time I am going to rivet the straps in place so they only have to reattach the buckles. I used 2 4x8 sheets and the in inner box is 72x28x10 inches and the outer box fits snugly over it. We lined it with firm foam and used pipe insulation to cover the paint and protect parts. It took about 20 minutes to take the bike apart and pack it and a little longer to put it back together. I marked the fork with a sharpie to make reinstalling easier. I think it will work for many trips. I added webbing straps on the ends and small casters to make travel in the airports easier. It is relatively water tight so I had no problem strapping the whole box directly to the roof rack of the rental car. We had two road tandems and our luggage inside and the mtn tandem on top in a Toyota Rav 4. We were very surprised it all fit. If you used the corrugated material you could make folds instead and use box rivets to secure the folds. It would have been easier with only a few cuts and maybe a few lbs lighter. I am not sure about durability of the corrugated plastic but probably more then adequate. I just couldn't bring myself to use a cardboard box and I know we will travel with it so I went ahead and made the travel box. We are already planning to do the White rim trail in Utah this October with it.

  10. #185
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ds2199's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    679
    Quote Originally Posted by akexpress
    The material is called Corocel made by the same company as Coroplast that is corrugated. The material I used is solid 1/4 inch thickness. I could not find the corrugated in the right thickness in San Francisco in the short time I was there or I probably would have used it. The solid material is very easy to "glue" they call it chemical welding with a pvc glue they sell for it that bonds it essentially instantly. We used butt joints with small pieces of the material bonded on the insides of the corners for reinforcement. I added some Aluminum angles on the corners for extra security but it probably wasn't necessary. The material is very easy to cut and I used a table saw to make all the cuts. The bike flew from San Fran to Anchorage with one plane change and showed no effects on the box. TSA inspected it and did not put the straps on as tight as I did so next time I am going to rivet the straps in place so they only have to reattach the buckles. I used 2 4x8 sheets and the in inner box is 72x28x10 inches and the outer box fits snugly over it. We lined it with firm foam and used pipe insulation to cover the paint and protect parts. It took about 20 minutes to take the bike apart and pack it and a little longer to put it back together. I marked the fork with a sharpie to make reinstalling easier. I think it will work for many trips. I added webbing straps on the ends and small casters to make travel in the airports easier. It is relatively water tight so I had no problem strapping the whole box directly to the roof rack of the rental car. We had two road tandems and our luggage inside and the mtn tandem on top in a Toyota Rav 4. We were very surprised it all fit. If you used the corrugated material you could make folds instead and use box rivets to secure the folds. It would have been easier with only a few cuts and maybe a few lbs lighter. I am not sure about durability of the corrugated plastic but probably more then adequate. I just couldn't bring myself to use a cardboard box and I know we will travel with it so I went ahead and made the travel box. We are already planning to do the White rim trail in Utah this October with it.
    Very interesting... I like this design. More pictures please!

    Also, White Rim in Ocotober??? Are you doing this with a tour? How many days? I suppose these questions can be answered off list so as to not derail thread..

    Thanks!

  11. #186
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Marco83333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    30
    Here's our ECDM on a memorable Idaho day with my Son.
    I thought I'd better post it before it's gone as sadly we are selling it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ECDM thread-fish-hook-creek.jpg  


  12. #187
    MTB Tandem Nut
    Reputation: TandemNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    647
    Just realized in all the 11 years we've been building Ventanas, we've never put a black ECDM together. Must say, it looks very cool:
    This one's headed to South Africa. Notice the revised frame geometry for increased standover (this is a 19/16 size). Longer captain's compartment is part of the tweak. Not visible is the tapered 44mm/56mm inset head tube. Very cool, clean setup that allows for more fork options, and an adjustable head angle with a CC AngleSet. Only Sherwood and Ventana could improve on the ECDM, and I think he's outdone himself with the new version...We'll have a couple of demos in the fleet later this month (once we decide on colors). Looking forward to getting some time on the revised frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ECDM thread-black-ventana-black-fandango003.jpg  

    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

  13. #188
    PMK
    PMK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PMK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,246
    Quote Originally Posted by TandemNut View Post
    Only Sherwood and Ventana could improve on the ECDM, and I think he's outdone himself with the new version...We'll have a couple of demos in the fleet later this month (once we decide on colors). Looking forward to getting some time on the revised frame.

    Heck with colors...Get them to polish one.

    PK

  14. #189
    PMK
    PMK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PMK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,246
    Quote Originally Posted by giff07 View Post
    Hi All,
    Here are some pics of the skid plate. I need to start out by saying this is not my invention but that of my riding buddy Larry Isherwood. It is a piece of PVC piping but it isn't your Home Depot Sched. 40. It is very thin walled. I think the size is 3". We used to have a piping for sewer drain/DWV that was like this but the building codes have changed and now its all Sched. 40. The closest thing I could find was piping for an in home vacuum system and I couldn't find it locally. Larry found another small piece of this piping at work and made one for us as a gift for our new ECDM.( Thanks again, Lar) The material inside is thin foam weather stripping. Larry cut it by hand with a mini hacksaw and blade but I think a Dremil tool would do the job. You will notice the notch at one end. This is for chain and granny gear clearance. Also a series of drain holes were drilled in the bottom on centerline. It is cut so it fits snugly around the boom tube and would probably be OK like that but we use high voltage electrical tape that sticks only to itself to secure it at both ends. It leaves no glue residue on the finish.We have scraped over some obstacles and this takes the worry out of damaging your paint/powder coat finish. I put the color matched flames on just to add a personal touch.
    Please post any other inventions of this nature so we can all share our wisdom.
    Ed Gifford
    Toms River, NJ
    During AORTA 2011, I got a look at this glide plate on the Snot Rocket. For months I have been kicking myself about not buying some 6/4 titanium tubing to fabricate a glide plate from.

    Using up a favor, I may have sourced the entirely wrong material but will afford high cool factor in that I hope to build a glide plate from some 12k carbon. Stay tuned. Now to go find a tube to convert into a mold.

    I'm finally stepping up after a near miss with a huge rock at AORTA 2011 while descending the trail from the mountain top with the drop offs like stairs. We hit the captains chainring as we dropped off. Suffice to say we carried the pulverized rock on the chain to the bottom. Slightly faster and it would have really gotten the lower tube.

    Stay tuned.

    This is worthwhile to save your frame if you attempt silly stuff. Larry and Brendas Fandango shot on the MTBTandems homepage is good evidence.

    PK

  15. #190
    Zipper
    Reputation: rbtcha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    209

    ECDM and John Wayne

    So I know I don't get on here and post a lot, or even as much as I should, but I was trolling around the web and decided to check rates at the Apache Motel in Moab, Ut. I thought that there might be a chance to get away for a couple days with the C-ECDM and found this pic on their main page.


    I would say that John (stoker) and I are in pretty good company there and they are a Tandem Friendly place to stay.
    Zipper aka Rob

  16. #191
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ds2199's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    679

    ECDM 29er reviews?

    Anyone care to share their experience with their full suspension 29" wheeled tandem? Please

  17. #192
    Long Live Long Rides
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    393
    Looking for a good excuse?

  18. #193
    PMK
    PMK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PMK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,246
    Quote Originally Posted by ds2199 View Post
    Anyone care to share their experience with their full suspension 29" wheeled tandem? Please
    West Coast Bike...

    PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

  19. #194
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ds2199's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    679
    Quote Originally Posted by Trails4Two View Post
    Looking for a good excuse?
    I'm not sure that I need an "excuse", but would like some real world feedback. On paper, I'm sold on the 29er platform for tandem use. The Fandango just plain rocks!

    So now it is just a decision as to how long before we trade up the 26" ECDM for the 29". That said, I would like to hear from someone who has ridden the Full Squish Big Wheeled bike.

  20. #195
    J&L
    J&L is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    33
    We love our 29" ECDM, although we are not the most aggressive riders out there. Been to Sedona and dealt with small rock steps w/o problem. Here in Northern CA we have lots of large washed out ruts in trails. Been thankful for the suspension it really absorbs the impacts.

  21. #196
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    522
    J&L, where in NorCal? We frequent the upper state on vacations, though we mostly stick to the coast areas from Point Reyes upward. Always looking for good trails up there and new people to ride with.

  22. #197
    J&L
    J&L is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    33
    Okayfine - I started a Northern Cal thread so as not to hijack this one.

  23. #198
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,467
    How about a 650b tandem. My El Testigo looks like it has the clearence, I'll have to see it it would work.

  24. #199
    Ultra Ventanaphile
    Reputation: Ciclistagonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    3,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    How about a 650b tandem. My El Testigo looks like it has the clearence, I'll have to see it it would work.
    As a 650B fan, and owner. (Custom Chiquillo 650B hardtail), I checked into that and if your Testigo has the adjustable dropouts you can. On my Bruja (V1) I could just clear in the middle setting and easily cleared in the longest seatstay setting.
    -Aaron G.

    "Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

  25. #200
    PMK
    PMK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PMK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,246
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    How about a 650b tandem. My El Testigo looks like it has the clearence, I'll have to see it it would work.

    We have no intention currently to go 650, but curious if you tried this yet and how it worked for you.

    This may seem a dumb question, but what ultimate gain are you expecting, obviously better rolling, somehow though this seems a bit moot on some of these heavy bikes. Guessing you would buy a 29 ECDM if possible?

    Not knocking the idea or condemning it, just more curious to see if the effort will be worthy to the results.

    PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •