Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The ECDM thread

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Not a ECDM, but still a Ventana

Our tandem although not a El Conquistidor, is the no longer made El Testigo. We had an ECDM, but sold it to buy a El Testigo, which we sold, when my wife got pregnant, then we bought this current one, which is due for some upgrades soon. Still its an awesome machine, 6" travel rear, 7" front.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ECDM thread-705e2db4_497054.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Wow Jeff what an awesome lookin' tandem. We rode with a couple that had a Grinch Green E.T. at AORTA this spring in North Carolina. With all that travel you must rip on the down hills.
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    Toms River, NJ

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks,
    This tandem not only is fast on the DH's, but fast everywhere. This bike is easily our fastest all around tandem that we owned.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Nice Jeff.

What color, tough to tell from the photo, almost looks like Electric Super Dust.

PK

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    It is a pretty bad photo at this resolution, might need to take a new photo since this one is a couple of years old. The frame has a custom flat black powder coat which Ventana only did on their DH bike. We were going for that stealth look...as much as a tandem can be stealthy.
    The bike is a 17/14, which seems a bit small considering that I (captain) is 6' tall and my wife (stoker) is 5' 10", but all the measurements that were important to us ie; top tube lengths are the same as the 19" captains and the rear is the same on all sizes. We just wanted a bit more stand over height.
    We outfitted it with SRAM XO rear der. and shifters, XTR fr. der., custom FSA Team Carbon cranks, Hurricane H45 seatposts, Hurricane Stelvio stem, Answer Hyperlite bars, Hayes Brakes, Mavic X819 rims laced to DTSwiss FR430 hubs with DT 14g black spokes.
    While this bike weighs a little over 50lbs, this bike is incredibly fast. I cannot pinpoint as to why, but it seems so much faster that our previous Ventana's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff
    ... Mavic X819 rims laced to DTSwiss FR430 hubs with DT 14g black spokes.

819s huh? I would have thought more like 823s on that rig (or any tandem mtb for that matter)...

Do you run tubeless?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Bigfoot, our ECdM

Hello all,

I figured this was the best place for my first post. I give you Bigfoot, our ECdM. It's a 17/16 frame, Marz 66SL front fork, stock RP3 rear, Middleburn cranks and rings, SRAM shifting bits, and our new MTX/Chris King wheel set.

We just got our frame back from Ventana after breaking it - crack in the stoker's bottom bracket. For three years the frame had been Cosmic Blue, but with the crack repair we took advantage and got a new coat of Ferrari Red.

The wheel set is new because we kept killing WI rear hubs. Riding tandem is one of our main hobbies, and we also volunteer with the Mountain Bike Unit to patrol the Santa Monica Mountains NRA, so it sees a lot of miles and a lot of trails. We also had it up in Bend, Oregon, recently to poach some of their wonderful trails. Yes, we rode Whoops. Twice.

The bike gets a lot of comments. You'd think we had the only off-road tandem, ever.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ECDM thread-img_2816.jpg  

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008

Sweet!

It looks clean and fast. What are the brakes? They look like six-pots.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    It looks clean because that's the post-assembly picture It was dirty three hours later.

The brakes are Hope Mono 6Ti. Very good stopping power with Hope pads (sintered in front, organic in back to eliminate the crazy vibration harmonics sintered pads caused). Haven't found a comparable aftermarket pad, though I've got a set of EBC greens coming.

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008

Finally cleaned the bike

Here it is, finally cleaned up from our Crested Butte mudbath and about to embark on a trip to Winter Park. As I mentioned before we are about 300 lbs and like lots of suspension. 5" rockers in the rear and a 170mm fork in front. RP23 in back set at 205lbs pressure with the 5" rockers or 140lbs with 4" rockers. Rebound is set one click away from full slow and we very rarely use propedal. Everything is pretty good now with a possible brake change if these act up one more time...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ECDM thread-0907b.jpg  

The ECDM thread-0907a.jpg  

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Okayfine
    Hello all,

I figured this was the best place for my first post. I give you Bigfoot, our ECdM. It's a 17/16 frame, Marz 66SL front fork, stock RP3 rear, Middleburn cranks and rings, SRAM shifting bits, and our new MTX/Chris King wheel set.

We just got our frame back from Ventana after breaking it - crack in the stoker's bottom bracket. For three years the frame had been Cosmic Blue, but with the crack repair we took advantage and got a new coat of Ferrari Red.

The wheel set is new because we kept killing WI rear hubs. Riding tandem is one of our main hobbies, and we also volunteer with the Mountain Bike Unit to patrol the Santa Monica Mountains NRA, so it sees a lot of miles and a lot of trails. We also had it up in Bend, Oregon, recently to poach some of their wonderful trails. Yes, we rode Whoops. Twice.

The bike gets a lot of comments. You'd think we had the only off-road tandem, ever.

Pretty sporty. I bet the MTX rims make it track good.

One question, why do you have the stokers cranks leading the captains by a few teeth? On our off road tandems, with keep them in phase, on our Co-Mo we run Captains two teeth out with the Captain crank advanced.

PK

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trails4Two
    Here it is, finally cleaned up from our Crested Butte mudbath and about to embark on a trip to Winter Park. As I mentioned before we are about 300 lbs and like lots of suspension. 5" rockers in the rear and a 170mm fork in front. RP23 in back set at 205lbs pressure with the 5" rockers or 140lbs with 4" rockers. Rebound is set one click away from full slow and we very rarely use propedal. Everything is pretty good now with a possible brake change if these act up one more time...

Looking good cleaned up.

If you can get the rear damper revalved firmer on rebound, it will make the compression a bit more compliant without getting a vague feel to it.

Curious about the brake problems...ours has the same brakes I believe. Most times they work with little noise, if they get used lightly and have a lot of dust the rumble a little, sometimes more than others.

When we got our bike the rear brake needed to be bled and the hose routes I thought could be better. Rerouted, and prior to bleeding, I loosened the hose at the master cylinder and allowed the hose to lie properly with no coiling. I know Magura is not a DOT brake fluid, but a mineral (petroleum) based fluid. For years I have used either Mobil 1 atf, or quality suspension fluids in Magura products with excellent results.

The fluid of the week was Showa ss5, or ss7, I'd need to check. Regardless, they were pressure bled with a Mightyvac automotive brake bleeder. The less viscous fluid gives the lever a better feel with no lg on return.

Hope they continue to work for you. Guessing Avids if not.

PK

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK
    One question, why do you have the stokers cranks leading the captains by a few teeth?
    Purely an assembly error that was corrected prior to the first ride. The area I assembled the bike was only so big, and I couldn't get a good POV on the bike until I took it out front.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Purely an assembly error that was corrected prior to the first ride. The area I assembled the bike was only so big, and I couldn't get a good POV on the bike until I took it out front.

You are such a bad liar...I know for fact, because I saw it on the internet that it has to be a super secret speed trick.

Looks good!

PK

mtbr member
    Hello all,

Welcome to MTBR (tandem forum), I recognize that bike and cracked BB story from DF. Good to see some new big bike riders around here!

That's quite a nice new paint job there too!

Please keep up posted on your experience with the king hubs. Seems to always be the ultimate question - Best hubs on the mtb tandem?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ds2199
    Please keep up posted on your experience with the king hubs. Seems to always be the ultimate question - Best hubs on the mtb tandem?
    I hope so. We had a number of experiences with broken WI rear hubs (I have a wheelset for sale, WI hubs, anyone interested - nearly new after rebuild ), and the long walks home really weren't what we set out for.

Still breaking in the CK hubs. I should hope to prove them worthy of the expense, but as with the frame repair - our main hobby is tandeming, so it is what it is. Owner's manual is nice and useful, which is a plus. Hopefully regular maintenance is all I'll need to do to 'em.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Youre right, there not X819's, there are X729's

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Your tandem looks great, really liking the Ferrari red paint(powder coat)

PMK
    mtbr member
    Yes, I read also about the cracked BB shell and the reasonable cost for repair. Just knowing that Sherwood and company would consider a repair is huge these days. Then to accomplish the repair, with what sounds like a complete inspection, and then repowderoat is over the top in customer service.

After looking at the photo again, if you haven't rerouted that front brake hose, it might be wise so you don't use the hose as your brake pads.

Looks good all hot rod red.

With Snot Greens and Ferrari Reds, holidays will be wonderful here.

PK

MTB Tandem Nut
    Ventana's not the # 1 off-road tandem company in the world for no reason. Situations like this, while very rare, are one of the reasons I'm an avid Ventana dealer (and owner several times over). Wish I had the floor space for their singles too.
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

PMK
    mtbr member
    As an update, the folks at Fox have always amazed me since 1974, awesome stuff, but typical west coast to deal with.

Fork arrived but the travel reduction spacers never came, and the spring they sent was for a 2006 series Fox 36, not even close.

And yes there are all kinds of warning about not being motorcycle, tandem or anything other than a single bike as being "approved".

But, I'm pretty certain if we can break this Fox40, nothing short of Showa "A"kit stuff would hold up.

I'll give you guys details of how short I can make the travel, or if I feel I can make it work well down to 100mm. I'll also let you know what springs make it work.

I'm pretty certain the most travel I can run is 6" (150mm), more than that will be tough on the "boys". First try will be 125mm ish.

PK

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Joining in...

Hi All,

Just swapped over to an ECDM 29'er from our beloved Fandango Tio (which has already found a new home). Nothing like Christmas in September!!

Alex from MTBTandems helped me spec and build the bike. I was glad I asked to have the rear triangle painted same color as the rest of the frame (Alex said Ventana rarely does this). The flat Army Green color is MEAN!!

We took a maiden ride last night on a staple ride of ours and man, what a difference full suspension makes. The stoker was elated, we rode faster than ever, and the frequency of me yelling "BUMP!!" decreased dramatically.

The larger wheels took some getting used to, but all in all, we're very very happy with it.

Hope to share future experiences with you all as time goes on.

Aaron & Shaye
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ECDM thread-ecdm1.jpg  

The ECDM thread-ecdm2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Looks awesome. I'd suggested Army Green when we were deciding on the color after the repair. I'm still happy with Ferrari Red, but perhaps we'll go green next time.

PMK
    mtbr member
    That 29r ECDM looks like a great build. Being dead honest, the Army Green wasn't for us when we rode Alex's personal Fandango. Not a bad color just not our color, and as we all know, that's why different colors are offered.

The matching color rear suspension arms is pretty hot though. I like that a lot.

If it weren't so labor intensive, I'd paint remove and polish ours. Be a good winter project but for us that's a good time to be riding.

Bottom line...nice bike...nice build...and another good spec from Alex giving the customer what they want.

PK

PMK
    mtbr member
    Finally...Fox 40 Kashima is mounted and even got a ride on the ECDM today.

Kind of an ordeal to make this happen, and Fox made it the most difficult to spend money on their stuff.

Fork was ordered with an order number and all. Ordered travel reduction spacers and another spring all at the same time. Two weeks later nothing is here. Call Fox and they have no record of the order, or order number.

Place a new order. Same thing, additional spring, and travel reduction spacers. So the fork arrives, totally wrong spring and no spacers.

Order spacers and spring again, finally it is all here.

While waiting, I temporarily mounted the fork. Come to find out, the Magura brakes we currently have, non post style Louises, don't work with a Fox 40 unless you have the "Fox 40 adapter" from Magura AND the short arm caliper. So I call Magura, both parts...none in stock, none on order, none on back-order.

So I order Avid BB7's and levers.

Finally everything is here.

Fit the fork and brakes.

Reduce the travel. Shortest I could go was 5 1/2" of travel with a Fox 40 spring.

I initially attempted to run the original Fox spring. It is titanium, but the rate is too soft. Swapped to the red spring (firmest available), with 5 reduction spacers. This gave proper preload (good race sag amount) with no preload "dialed in".

Couple runs up and down the street to get the compression and rebound close.

Off to the trail. We rode Dyer which is our climbing trail with a singletrack perimeter. It's an old landfill, converted to a park.

The first couple miles had me taking mental notes. We did stop once and I opened the rebound a couple clicks (bottom of the fork).

After a couple more miles, I was able to get the low speed compression good, and was still playing with the high speed compression.

The fork works very well, the fork is stupid expensive so it should work well.

How good...suffice to say it makes you very confident and willing to ride just about any nasty hack on the trail. The climbing and descents were a non issue. Many of the descents had deep ruts from recent heavy rains. It was apparent others were avoiding the ruts and riding to the side. You might guess where I pointed that ECDM, and the stoker was either in shock or didn't notice because not a word was said until the ruts end. After explaining that I'm crazy, she did comment that it was not a big deal to ride it.

The previous ATC could have ridden it, but would be less predictable or confidence inspiring.

We got in a bunch of miles both singletrack and the hill. Remember how I mentioned the confidence that the fork provided, well a wet diagonal root got me on lap 3, sending us a bit sideways. The pine tree was not injured. The impact twisted the bars / stem. Very slightly bent the left lever, and broke the window of the XO shifter. Kind of made my shoulder hurt too.

Rear admiral decided we had ridden enough, so after straightening the stem we headed home. Lever is still 100% ridable, shifter gets a speed tape mod for now.

So how to solve the slight deflection on an angled wet root, first go to the side like the previous laps OR, back off the high speed compression.

The fork is good, can not compare to a WB 100t or a RS BoXXer since I don't have one or one nearby to test.

Travel wise, one rooted step up had us use all but 3/16" of travel. So almost the full 5 1/2".

Other than Fox and their shipping issues, if you buy a Kashima coated fork, it seems Fox has poor consistency in the golden color. Our fork has one dark gold tube and one light gold tube. Fox has no interest to correct it. At this price, you would think they could do a better job of at least matching the tubes colors when they build the fork. The fork looks "wrong" when at rest, but when riding you aren't looking at the upper tubes.

Sorry for the long post.

PK
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ECDM thread-copy-img_1008.jpg  

The ECDM thread-copy-img_1010.jpg  

Last edited by PMK; 10-03-2010 at 09:39 PM.

PMK
    mtbr member
    The ECDM got some serious rides on it in Mulberry Gap, Georgia.

http://www.mulberrygap.com/

Besides the awesome trails, Diane, Ginny, Jason, & Andrew will take great care to see you enjoy everything. The homecooked meals would make anyone prefer to eat than ride, but being an MTB destination the meals are also very healthy, giving you fuel for the next ride, while letting you sleep the night not feeling fat.

Mulberry gap has climbing, nuf said.

The ECDM never complained on the climbs, and the suspension was damped spot on for the climbs with no clicker changes. No bobbing or wallowing as we climbed either the dirt roads or singletracks.

The singletrack at Mulberry Gap was a another test for the new fork, I made no spring or preload changes but did add a click of low speed compression. I also softened high speed compression one click.

So what does this all mean. The bike saw everything from long slow granny climbs, to nasty hacked one line descents where I had expected to see the Avid brakes plastic knobs melted, and both ends never stepped out, swapped, or bottomed noticeably.

The trail varied from crushed granite gravel on the dirt road sections, to hard pack dirt, some very dry powdery sections of dry silt (they said they need rain), to some valleys that were wet dirt, being fall, there was plenty of fallen leaves to add more dimension both dry and wet, plus rocks, roots, also both dry and wet, even some grassy sections and for good measure we crossed a half dozen or so shallow creeks / streams.

Bottom line, it is not tandem rated but has 40mm upper tubes made for serious descenders. The fork does not flex. The action is dialed to not deflect off stuff. The weight is not bad.

If I had one complaint it was losing a bit of turning lock for really slow switchbacks when compared to a singlecrown or the previous ATC or even a Headshok Moto. But as I complain, not once did we not navigate without stopping every super tight switchback we encountered. I can only recall once where the stoker unclipped expecting us to fall to the inside, but we didn't.

I guess if you can justify the need, and can overcome the cost, plus are willing to ignore the non tandem warning, this is a very good fork to run.

PK

mtbr member
    Thread

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ostwandlager
    Thread

Anyone know what cranks those are. My eyes may be messing with me but they look like XT's.

Could they be XT octalink 1's with some crank arm rethreading? (or pedal spindle swapping)

PK
    Last edited by PMK; 10-29-2010 at 07:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Hi,
    its the older Shimano XT Octaline . we got them from Shimano but they are no longer oddwews.
    Greating

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ostwandlager
    Hi,
    its the older Shimano XT Octaline . we got them from Shimano but they are no longer oddwews.
    Greating

Were these tandem specific cranks, or were they modified to work?

Were the crank arms rethreaded for proper pedal installation.

And required buying an individual arm or third set of cranks to have enough drive spiders.

PK

MTB Tandem Nut
    Anyone know what cranks those are. My eyes may be messing with me but they look like XT's.

Could they be XT octalink 1's with some crank arm rethreading? (or pedal spindle swapping)

PK
    In their photo gallery it definitely looks like XT. There are Euro-spec tandem cranksets from Shimano that we never see in the US. I know there were LX level tandem cranksets for a while as well. Since Shimano doesn't talk to little folk like us, I never could get a straight answer on if such items exist or not.
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

PMK
    mtbr member
    Alex, I know you sell Middleburn, what is the current offerings from them in regards to ISIS or square or ? and there drive spider interchange gets a touch confusing.

Checking your site, is the tandem package "the one"?

I ask since I am no longer a big square taper fan. While ISIS may have some durability troubles, I have found on the Co-Mo that it is realy nice to be able to pull the cranks easily, and reinstall with consistent repeatable positions that require no frt der tweeks.

Our ECDM has Race Face square tapers in red that I wouldn't mind changing to some form of spline fit. Crazy I know, but mainly just in the name of easier maintenance.

My other option, but I'm hesitant on, is reinstalling the Gossamers on the Co-Mo, and swapping the ISIS Race Face onto the ECDM. But would prefer keeping it 175 / 175 as opposed to 175 / 172.5. Maybe I should change and get my lazy stoker more rev'd up.

PK

mtbr member
    Hi,
    theese shimano cranks we have bought as a tandemset. Greatings

MTB Tandem Nut
    Alex, I know you sell Middleburn, what is the current offerings from them in regards to ISIS or square or ? and there drive spider interchange gets a touch confusing.

Checking your site, is the tandem package "the one"?

PK
    Middleburn makes both ISIS and ST tandem crank arms. They make 104/64 4 bolt, 94/58 compact 5 bolt, and 110/75 ATB 5 bolt spiders. They also make UNO ring/spider combos, as well as DUO ring/spider combos. All are interchangeable with their RS7 and RS8 cranksets, including the tanden cranksets.
    The tandem crankset uses UNO's for timing rings, and they range from 32T to 38T in size.
    However, once can also use spider/rings for timing rings if they want something else. Tandem crank arm lengths range from 160mm to 180mm in 5mm increments, black or silver. On the rare occasion, I can also get cranks in different colors, if someone wants to wait.
    4 bolt offers mucho choice of chainrings from many sources, as it's currently the standard for mtb rings. 94/58 compact offers lower gearing (20T/30T/40T) lowest for big wheelers, and the old 110/74 gets use on some road and cyclocross apps, but isn't around that much.
    I'm leaning more towards ST instead of ISIS because if one of those standards goes away due to BB availability, I suspect it will be ISIS. ISIS is certainly a better platform as far as installation and sensitivity to gorilla-torque overtightening and other garage mechanic deeds, as well as stiffness of the crank/spindle interface, but there are fewer and fewer ISIS bb manufacturers left. ISIS is also slightly tapered, so at some point, even those arms will wear out from being reinstalled.
    Since the offset of the spiders is very different for Middleburn's new X-type external bb crankset,I have discussed much with Middleburn on getting us those cranksets in the tandem setup. I still don't have a timeframe, but they're certainly closer to reality, as Middleburn now has the DUO ring/spider available for X-Type, as well as 4 arm and 5 arm Compact Drive spiders. I bug Middleburn about those on a regular basis. I'm guessing that EBB and/or press-fit stuff will be the more common platform very soon.
    Sorry for the hijack; this probably should be in the tandem cranks thread...
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

PMK
    mtbr member
    Alex, hardly a hi-jack. Besides I started this topic on the ECDM.

The best thing about a spline setup with 3 piece cranks, ISIS or Shimano is that when it's torqued, we have everything tight against something else.

Outboard bearing stuff for tandems is tough, since the left rear arm sets bearing preload, but relies on the pinch bolt to stay tight. It would be a great setup if each crankset was shimmed to an inner crush spacer so that tight is tight.

A recent conversation with FSA had them unofficially recommend cleaning the left splines, and then installing the crank arm with loctite. What a pain in the butt. This is one reason I don't want to reinstall the Gossamers.

I agree if something goes away it will be ISIS.

So it is possible to get SKF ISIS BB's and ISIS tandem cranksets if needed.

Any chance of talking Middleburn into the road crank market? A 130mm spider with a drilling for a third inner could open a new market to offer a reasonable priced crankset to compete with Davinci, fill a gap left by White Industries, and be a step up from the current Truvative and FSA stuff.

The UNO on the left would save weight, and with just a redesign and production run on spiders they have road cranks. The other huge plus is they can be bought in a lot more length options than FSA or Truvative.

I'm leaning towards there super duper outboard bearing models, polished, with the UNO drives and 130mm drillings.

The same in ISIS could be a close second...

Now only if that Specialized bike with the driveshaft could be made for off-road...

If you want I'll start a crankset topic.

PK

MTB Tandem Nut
    I've been noodling a drive shaft setup setup for bicycles in my little head for years. To me, that solves so many issues with current drivetrains. Bicycles are probably the only mechanized vehicle that goes off-road with the drive mechanism exposed to all the nasty stuff we ride thru. Doesn't make sense.
    OTOH, drive shafts are not as efficient as chain drive, and every iota of efficiency counts when I'm the motor.
    I think SKF may have already ceased production on the ISIS bb's.
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Happy Halloween

Just a way of saying "Hi" to all of you from all of us. Halloween ride at Allamuchy Deer Park in northern NJ 2010.
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    Brenda and Larry Isherwood
    Mike and Caren Bianco
    Jay Boesner and Amy Isherwood
    Jeff Winick and Wendy Samuelson
    Cam and Karen Witt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ECDM thread-001-800x477-.jpg  

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by giff07
    Just a way of saying "Hi" to all of you from all of us. Halloween ride at Allamuchy Deer Park in northern NJ 2010.
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    Mike and Caren Bianco
    Cam and Karen Witt

PK

mtbr member

MTB Tandem Nut
    Quote Originally Posted by giff07
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    Mike and Caren Bianco
    Cam and Karen Witt
    Now that there looks like a Ventana el Conquistador de Montanas convention!
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by TandemNut
    Now that there looks like a Ventana el Conquistador de Montanas convention!
    OH!!!! That's what ECDM stands for...
    May the air be filled with tires!

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    OH!!!! That's what ECDM stands for...

No silly

Excellent Control DualSuspension Machine

PK

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Here's our new toy

Build spec is in this post New ECDM Build

It has been too cold and icy for me to persuade my wife to ride much, so we have only done 16 miles so far, mainly on little country roads. Because of the wet and muddy winters we have where I am in the UK, it's unlikely to see much off road use until probably april next year.

Thing we like so far are the colour choice, and obviously the comfort and fit.

I'm not sure what pressure is in the rear, but on PP setting 2 we get no significant bobbing on the climbs. On the shops suggestion we have the captains pedals leading by a tooth or two, which may also help with that.

We weigh around 290lb all up. I've got about 80 psi in the forks, which gives me about 25 mm sag.
    I won't really know how well the suspension is set up until spring next year, so can't comment on the fork performance yet.

I am a little concerned about captain seat post flex though. It's a 350mm Easton EA70, and is on the minimum insertion limit. When I am manoeuvring the bike about I can see the post visibly flexing. This is being swapped for a 400mm post which I am sure will help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Good job!

Hi Phil,
    Wow! thats a really nice Christmas present! We love our ECDM. A word of warning though, the bike inspires so much confidence it makes you want to ride crazy things. I really like your color choice. I would seriously consider replacing the captains seatpost with something longer if its only in to the minimum mark. Two of our friends ripped a captains seatpost in half while riding given a similar situation and that is not pretty. You have more self control than I would be able to muster in waiting until spring to get that beauty all muddy. All the best and a Happy Holiday!
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    Toms River, NJ USA

PMK
    mtbr member
    Very nice.

In regards to that seat post, consider also that the minimum mark is when used only for seating, you now have it doing double duty holding a set of bars.

I too would have a tough time putting that tandem away while waiting for spring.

Maybe while waiting, you could complete the color scheme and get those white lower fork legs paint removed and to a brushed aluminum finish or polished. Regardless though it is a good looking ride.

PK

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the complements guys!

It should have been a longer post, and that's on the way now. I just wondered whether anyone had purposefully fitted a stronger post to the front before.

Polished forks would look really sweet. I think the missus would kill me if I started to take it to bits now though! Thats a job for next winter.

We shall be riding it when it is not snowy and icy, but only locally, so no demanding trails for a while.

I wonder if I could smuggle it on holiday to the Caribbean with me though...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by phill77
    I just wondered whether anyone had purposefully fitted a stronger post to the front before.
    I have about the same amount of exposed seat post (see above), and fitted a 400mm Thomson specifically due to the consequences of a captain's seat post failure

Quote Originally Posted by phill77
    I wonder if I could smuggle it on holiday to the Caribbean with me though...
    That's what's got me drooling over an S&S frame.

Zipper
    Well I have to post just a couple picks here of the original ECDM

and then the new custom that became normal after 6 months

This is one heck of a bike if I do say so myself, and I do!
    Zipper aka Rob

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    A new El Testigo for the New Year?

MTB Tandem Nut
    A new El Testigo for the New Year?
    Don't think they make el Testigos any more, since you can up the travel on the el Conquistador now.
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast