Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: The ECDM thread

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Don't be offended Paul. There was not any finger pointing intended by my comment. It was simply stating that it was easy to make a video without any mistakes in riding technique through creative editing and it took more courage to leave a few mistakes in. If we rode perfectly all the time without any crashes or bobbles riding the tandem wouldn't be near as much fun or the trails would be so boring we might as well road ride.
    Ed and Pat
    tSRt

PMK
    mtbr member
    Ed, no offense taken in any way. I agree, so often some cool stuff is left out with near misses and crashes.

As I mentioned, I have another video from the same event, we were on a trail section and did not make a climb. The hurried haste to get going again and out of the way for other coming riders, is a disaster that draws blood. PO'd, as Captain of the ship I set out for a clean run, which we get in the second try.

I have another video from the same weekend. On a climb, a rider in front of us gets off his bike to push up the hill. I am telling him to get out of the way. Suffice to say the collision is impressive on video. The other guy has a rear der squashed into his spokes from the down stroke of my left pedal. I will need to do an audio edit also...there were some bad words from mouth after we got rolling again.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

ECDM 29er Rocks!

Very good bike capable of most trails a single bike can ride. We have been in Arizona for the past week and ridden: Sedona, Prescott, and Scottsdale. Sedona was a real eye opener for what the bike can get through, up, and over, cleanly. Pretty amazing really. I guess I need to get a GoPro.

The high bottom bracket makes it possible to get through the rocks. High speed steering stability suffers a bit but it corners good enough. Anyone try a Hopey steering damper?
    2 wheels == True

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I don't know of anyone here that runs a Hopey. There was a good discussion of it on Double Forte a few years ago. Should be able to find it with a search there.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebnelson View Post
    Very good bike capable of most trails a single bike can ride. We have been in Arizona for the past week and ridden: Sedona, Prescott, and Scottsdale. Sedona was a real eye opener for what the bike can get through, up, and over, cleanly. Pretty amazing really. I guess I need to get a GoPro.

The high bottom bracket makes it possible to get through the rocks. High speed steering stability suffers a bit but it corners good enough. Anyone try a Hopey steering damper?
    What would you deem as high speed steering stability in regards to actual speed and terrain type?

A lot of how the bike feels and reacts is based not only on headtube angle but fork offset dimension which relates directly to the dimension for trail.

The window off stabilty vs speed related to trail dimension is a very small change.

PK

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    What would you deem as high speed steering stability in regards to actual speed and terrain type?

A lot of how the bike feels and reacts is based not only on headtube angle but fork offset dimension which relates directly to the dimension for trail.

The window off stabilty vs speed related to trail dimension is a very small change.

PK
    Stability is probably a misleading word to use. The steering is stable, but clipping rocks with the front tire, unexpectedly, is more likely on the tandem then single while descending. The same is true climbing where the intended line may deviate a bit, especially in the little ring. The idea being that it might make the bike track a bit more nicely to slow down the steering. We've been riding in a lot of "baby head" sized rocks lately. On my enduro moto the steering damper helps from getting the bars yanked. I can definitely live without one but would be interested to see if any tandem teams have tried one.
    2 wheels == True

PMK
    mtbr member
    I run a Scotts / Ohlins steering damper on my KTM, so I understand where you are coming from. However, as a suspension tuner, my thoughts are the suspension is not dialed in and deflecting.

Dampers are neat devices, and can make good suspension better. A damper on poor suspension acts as a band aid and helps hide or cover up poor setups. Not saying you have a poor setup, just something to maybe look closely at.

Also, I don't know what fork you run, but as I have taught others, it does make a difference to properly align the fork tubes before tightening the axle pinch bolts. Moto guys should know this but often overlook it on their MTB.

Tandem wise, when we ride local trails / terrain the low speed compression, high speed compression and rebound seldom get changed. On road trips, typically the stoker will make changes to the compression adjuster while rolling and I will make changes to the HSC and LSC as needed. Sounds complicated but really just a few clicks to take the edge off hack type square edges, limit rear squat, or help the bike turn better.

We do not run a steering damper on the tandem, if we did, I doubt I would use a Hopey. I would likely adapt a CRF damper to the frame and lower triple clamp.

Best of luck with it.

PK

Want to add, being a 29r, you might just have a ton of wheel flex that noting less than different wheels will overcome. Our bike is a 26 so wheel flex is not a real issue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    We got our first decent helmet cam, so we had to make a test video.

Snowride - MTBTandem movie
    youtu.be/oPv5hFA7pF8

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Loved the video. My stoker was just watching over my shoulder too! Tandem watching a tandem on the computer!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Okayfine View Post
    Loved the video. My stoker was just watching over my shoulder too! Tandem watching a tandem on the computer!
    We love watching other teams riding different sections. We don't know any teams in Finland, so videos are only "peer group" and way to learn from others. It would be nice to have more tandem videos showing capabilities of the bike on this forum.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TaitettaVille View Post
    We love watching other teams riding different sections. We don't know any teams in Finland, so videos are only "peer group" and way to learn from others. It would be nice to have more tandem videos showing capabilities of the bike on this forum.
    My stoker and I have been discussing getting some non bike mounted video. We have some ideas and will try and make it show bikes ability and my stupidity to ride crazy things.

PK

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

New tandem team

Been lurking here for a while and thinking of getting a MTB tandem. We've been mountain biking since the mid 80's and riding a road tandem for 3yrs, so we thought we would like to give it a try off road.
    This thread has been a big help. Soooo,

Okay the deal is done, closed on a 2010 Ventana ECDM!!! Some highlights are; Sram XO code hyd discs front and rear, Fox Talas RC 36 150 mm fork, Sram X9 3x9 speed drive train. Should be delivered by Monday!

Thanks for all the good info and motovation to see this thru.

Oops, maybe should have posted in SoCal thread...
    Last edited by DonP.; 12-11-2012 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Should have posted in SoCal

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DonP. View Post

...Oops, maybe should have posted in SoCal thread...
    Nah, fits the ECDM thread too. You can post in both

Welcome to the forum!!

PMK
    mtbr member
    @DonP sounds nice and hope to see a few photos. Sounds like a great bike with many miles of enjoyment to be had.

PK

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

We the people ... The Ventana arrived yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    @DonP sounds nice and hope to see a few photos. Sounds like a great bike with many miles of enjoyment to be had.

PK
    Got a few pics of the unpacking process, if I can post them....sorry the pics are a little big.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ECDM thread-20121217_170536.jpg  

The ECDM thread-20121217_170553.jpg  

The ECDM thread-20121217_171028.jpg  

The ECDM thread-20121217_181514.jpg  

The ECDM thread-20121217_181707.jpg  

The ECDM thread-20121217_181645.jpg  

The ECDM thread-20121217_181634.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Nice looking ride! Friends of ours have an ECDM in the same color they have dubbed it Screamcycle Orange. Have fun with it!
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    the Snot Rocket tandem

PMK
    mtbr member
    Very nice

PK

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quickly opened presents on Christmas morning, then dashed out for a late-morning ride to the beach and back before family arrived. A bit goopy in spots due to the rain, but overall a wonderful ride with great winter weather (uh, for SoCal) and very few people out on the trails. We counted 5 cyclists, though over 50 hikers (many in one big group out).

Had recently changed the SRAM 990 cassette for another XT. I could never trim the rear D to be happy with the 11T cog on the 990. This isn't just a 990 issue for me, since I've had the same problems with a 930 cassette on a completely different ECdM. The chain would want to climb the 12T cog, and it wasn't a limit-screw issue, it was a tension issue. If I adjusted the tension for the 11T cog to be happy, it would take two clicks to get out of it, and then the rest of the shifting was rubbish.

Back to XT, retrimmed the shifter, and I've got all gears and good shifting (X9 shifter and RD).

No other major changes to the bike. Another set of brake pads up front and a bleed (so easy with the Hopes). Going to need new rotors sooner or later, and I will need to do my winter maintenance (new chains, seal kit for the shock, wonder/worry about ordering new Middleburn sync rings or go (hope) with Homebrew for half the cost. I've always switched the sync rings front-to-back, so I've got a year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Our goal was to make a extensive video, but weather was too beautiful for filming. After couple of takes, we put cameras into bags and we rode without interruptions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Wonderful Job you guys! I am happy for you that it was a beautiful day But sorry you decided to stop filming. Nicely done.
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    the Snot Rocket tandem

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    That looks like a really nice trail system, in the snow! What sort of tires do you use? And have you had any difficulties on snow with the higher center of gravity of a tandem?

Seriously muddy sections of trail give me troubles since the front tire wants to slide out sideways if I hit a rock, or get off balance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thank you giff07!

Quote Originally Posted by Okayfine View Post
    That looks like a really nice trail system, in the snow! What sort of tires do you use? And have you had any difficulties on snow with the higher center of gravity of a tandem?

Seriously muddy sections of trail give me troubles since the front tire wants to slide out sideways if I hit a rock, or get off balance.
    We have tens of kilometers of singletrail in snow. People walking with dogs keep the trails open. Now trails are hardpacked and very fast.

We use Schwalbe Ice Spiker pro tires. Those are just superb winter tires.

We havent't experienced any difficulties relating higher center of gravity. Only difference/difficulty comparing summer trails is narrower path and tighter corners.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Spring Maintenance

Did the spring maintenance schedule today:

New drive chain
    Shock seal kit/rebuild
    Complete service of CK hub
    New rear shifter cable/housing
    Clean/lube pedals
    Wash

Doesn't seem like much, but took half the day. The CK service took half of that, but it's almost a joy to do with the special tools, since it all just works.

Out on the bike twice this past work week, which was nice. Viva la DST!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    getting the disc adapter off the rear Chris King hub is being a ***** for me. I need to access the preload adjustment ring. I'm going to cut down a 2mm wrench to fit without getting the adapter off as a plan B.
    2 wheels == True

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    mtbr bleeped B I T C H. Really?
    2 wheels == True

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast