Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: The ECDM thread

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ds2199 View Post
    Thanks!!! As you can gather, we like it!

The stoker stem is actually a trials stem (fixed length) I think it is 175mm.

Potence Echo SL 20" CNC 175mm x 30 degrés - TRIALPROD

I did not buy it from there - but I think that's the one!
    Thanks Dan!

PMK
    mtbr member
    Finally found this video taken during New Years.

It is us, two crazed grandparents.

Not sure we would have tried this on a hardtail tandem.

FWIW, the fall to the inside of the turn is like 5 or 6 feet straight down, the entry is very rooted, and the final drop in is scalloped pretty nasty, with a huge floating root.

Being honest, I walked it a couple times before riding it.

Narration is from Chris J, another tandem team captain

PK

Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Finally found this video taken during New Years.

It is us, two crazed grandparents.

Not sure we would have tried this on a hardtail tandem.

FWIW, the fall to the inside of the turn is like 5 or 6 feet straight down, the entry is very rooted, and the final drop in is scalloped pretty nasty, with a huge floating root.

Being honest, I walked it a couple times before riding it.

Narration is from Chris J, another tandem team captain

PK

Not Bad for some Old Timers

mtbr member
    May 2007

Bottom Bracket height on the 29er

Hello happy tandem riders,

A little intro: we are from France, riding a 20th century Univega Full suspension tandem:
    The ECDM thread-grand-2.jpg

We are so interested by the 29 ECDM. But as we checked the geometry I'm really scared by the tall bottom bracket height: 15,57 inches for the captain !!!
    As I checked on solo MTB, the 29 version of 26 bike usually had even a lower bottom bracket !!! see stumpjumper 29 and 26, Santa Cruz Blur Lt, Intense Tracer 2

So what do you think and for those happy 29 owners, what's your riding report ?

Have a good ride !
    Amélie and Laurent

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008
    Welcome! I would say that optimal BB height depends somewhat on your terrain. We live and ride where there are many rocks and obstacles, so for us a higher BB equals more clearance and fewer pedal strikes. Our 26" Ventana is over 16" BB height. It is tall, but once riding it, I don't notice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by leszazas View Post
    Hello happy tandem riders,

A little intro: we are from France, riding a 20th century Univega Full suspension tandem:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grand-2.jpg 
Views:	961 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	722850

We are so interested by the 29 ECDM. But as we checked the geometry I'm really scared by the tall bottom bracket height: 15,57 inches for the captain !!!
    As I checked on solo MTB, the 29 version of 26 bike usually had even a lower bottom bracket !!! see stumpjumper 29 and 26, Santa Cruz Blur Lt, Intense Tracer 2

So what do you think and for those happy 29 owners, what's your riding report ?

Have a good ride !
    Amélie and Laurent
    Welcome to MTBR Amélie and Laurent
    How about a new thread showing more pictures of your tandem....
    also how is that Lefty working out never thought it would work on a tandem

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by leszazas View Post
    The Ventana website shows the fork length as 518mm, so that would be a 120mm travel 29er fork... so the Ventana geometry numbers are of the bike unsagged (which I personally think is a bit useless, solo or tandems).

With 5in travel upfront and 4in out back and sagged 30%, sagged captain BB height would be ~14.0in and stoker BB height would be ~13.8. That's not so bad considering you do need the BB's a bit higher on a tandem compared to a solo bike to not get constant pedal strikes...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Oh yes we should present ourselves, I will as soon as... I have time home !!!

For the Lefty it's really a good fork for us, it's the spring version on the picture with the stronger steel spring (perfect) and we soon will have the air one. It's so rigid. In the meantime we have a FOX 36 Float reduced to 140mm travel and I have strange feeling on diagonal roots and ridges, not on braking as I would have think. Like if the fork was flexing lateraly if my english is not to bad !!! I almost crash the other day with this lateral flex on a leaning mini-jump reception. I had a 36 on my solo and it was not flexy at all !!!

Have a good ride !
    Laurent

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I couldn't make a new thread for tire speculation, so I start it here (I have only 3 posts...).

Today riding from work we got 9 (n-i-n-e) cuts in rear tire sidewalls. Three cuts on driveside and six on non-driveside. We were exploring "new" trails and backend whipped from side to side during rocky sections. Stoker was singing her happy song, but we managed to get through without incidents. 'while riding to next trail section, we noticed considerable wobble on rear tire and found those nasty cuts.

Tires were intact after saturdays ride, so todays ride was very tough for tires. We have been running Nobby Nics 2.25" front and rear.

We have had the wettest summer in 150 years, but Nobby Nics have been very reliable on slimy roots and wet rock. NN are little bit slow for out taste, so we are looking alternatives with similar grip but little less rolling resistance. Suggestions?

Local shop carries Continental Mountain King II Protection 2.2 (I think it is too thin for my liking) and Rubber Queen 2.2 (much wider than Mountain king, but is slower)... Anyone using Mountain King 2.2 or Rubber Queen 2.2 (Trail king in North America) in ECDM?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TaitettaVille View Post
    I couldn't make a new thread for tire speculation, so I start it here (I have only 3 posts...).

Today riding from work we got 9 (n-i-n-e) cuts in rear tire sidewalls. Three cuts on driveside and six on non-driveside. We were exploring "new" trails and backend whipped from side to side during rocky sections. Stoker was singing her happy song, but we managed to get through without incidents. 'while riding to next trail section, we noticed considerable wobble on rear tire and found those nasty cuts.
    Ugh! Nine cuts?!

I recently put a nevgal tubeless 2.35 on the back of the 26er ECDM. So far so good....
    Have been having tire durability issues on my 1-seat bike too....
    --Reamer

SC Tallboy LTc
    Ventana ECDM 26
    ventana el Ciclon
    Litespeed Classic
    Seven Ti Axion Tandem
    1989 Stumpjumper

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    Ugh! Nine cuts?!

I recently put a nevgal tubeless 2.35 on the back of the 26er ECDM. So far so good....
    Have been having tire durability issues on my 1-seat bike too....
    Today I changed tires and took a closer look. There was abrasion on both sides of sidewalls. We are using mavic dh-rims, so 2,25" Nobby nics are very full and side walls come out wider than side knobs. I think our trails and riding style is just very tough for sidewalls if side knobs aren't wide enough.

I went to local shop and they had Rubber Queen 2,4" (Black Chilli compound). I wasn't sure if it would fit to ECDM rear fork. Fortunately it fits, but there is just 5 mm room over the tire. Rubber queen feels more rugged than Nobby Nics, but time will tell. Side knobs are little wider, but I think sidewalls are still in danger.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Our ECDM is apart for some maintenance. I had shared my concern about the upper shock bolt for those running a 6mm diameter bolt.

If you own an ECDM and ride hard...

Today I was able to disassemble the rear end. For those that have never had the rear suspension apart, it's pretty easy.

I have the Ventana bearing removal and install tool and must say it is money well spent. With the swingarm, seatstay and rocker removed, the Ventana tool easily pressed out all the bearings in a leisurely 15 minutes. All the bearings had the seal removed, were solvent washed, greased with Bel-Ray waterproof grease. I greased the bearings 100% full prior to installing the seals.

After cleaning the suspension components, all the bearings were again easily installed.

We ride pretty much all year round. For those that do winter maintenance, this would be a worthy task. Tomorrow I plan to reassemble the rear suspension. The one real caution will be to ensure the pivot threads are clean and free of grease so the Loctite will bond.

The one problem that did occur was during disassembly. The left side seatstay / rocker pivot had the stainless post unscrew from the seatstay bridge. No damage, just cleaned it with Brakleen, applied Loctite Red 271 and reinstalled.

PK

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    While we haven't put a ton of miles on our ECdM in the last few months, it hasn't needed anything and continues to be ready to rock. We haven't even broken anything since the SRAM chain (which must have been a bad batch of chains as we're still running them) incident, and after switching out from the WI rear hub. Maintenance here and there, and lots of cleaning, but that's about it. A lot fewer air pressure adjustments in the fork after switching to a coil-sprung 66EVO.

WTB Prowler 2.4s on the street howl like a Jeep with monster mudders, but even that works to our advantage on the street and hardpack sections since people can hear us comin'. And despite riding our local trails for over five years, we still get people with comments like "...they're not going to go through the creek bed on that thing, are they...?"

It would be nice to pull 7-8 pounds out of the bike, but we don't have that kind of money. Even if we did, I'd imagine it would result in some increase in trailside repairs and long walks out. In the face of the cost alone, I'm happier with the slightly more blunt and burly instrument.

PMK
    mtbr member
    I'll agree, so far our ECDM has held up very well to the abuse. I guess to the point of planning to do things like these pivots but it just keeps going, so they never got done.

PK

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Did you find any notches in the bearings when you pulled them? Our aluminum ECdM had them after about 3.5 years of riding without any sort of service or rotation. I wonder what the cost of the bearing tool is versus new bearings. ...But, then I'll need the bearing tool to R&R the new bearings anyway. Drat.

PMK
    mtbr member
    A couple were gritty but are fine. I believe the bearing kit is fairly expensive since it includes new bolts and such.

PK

PMK
    mtbr member
    During the rear end rebuild, I found our upper shock bolt bent. After a short discussion with Sherwood at Ventana, I also learned, that for our ECDM, we could gain additional rear end stiffness by replacing not only the upper shock bolt but also all the suspension pivot bolts.

These bolts high end metric fasteners are not available from Ventana. So, I had to order by the box from the fastener manufacturer.

If anyone has an interest in upgrading there ECDM, shoot me a PM and I can send the fasteners for what they cost me plus some USPS shipping.

PK

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

96 ecdm

Well Rene and Kristi from City of Angels. Built this up in 96 and it has seen many transformations since... The Bike has been awesome and has towed a burley trailer with 2 kids in it all around the western states... The Wife and I are going to be doin alot more rides and hopefully we'll see you out there. As far as the the Electric Green Monster... I would love to go 29er 2x10 etc but it just works soooo well??? I upgraded the rear to 5" and I have a 6" in front.

Some upgrades I will be doing:

Lockout suspension front and rear
    Possibly a 27.5 front wheel ???
    Formula the one brakes

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    forgot the pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ECDM thread-img_0012.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Nice! Love the color!
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    the Snot Rocket tandem

"the big red train"
    Apr 2007
    Rene & Kristi, Nice bike, we ride a similar bike just 5 years newer. Our son is 6 and we went through the Burley and now we tow him on a trail-a-bike. I'm interested in the upgrade to 5" in the rear. Our ECDM has a 6" Marzocchi 66 in the front and only the standard 4" rear. The ride is fine and we really don't seem to use up all the rear travel, but maybe the extra inch in the rear might speed up the steering.

Thanks
    Patrick & Maria
    Fullerton, CA

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    youtu.be/mxX6_RwGSUo

Our new conquest in Hyvinkää, Finland. This trail is used for MtbEnduro competitions. We weren't as smooth as we would liked to be, but we had lots of fun filming.

PMK
    mtbr member
    youtu.be/mxX6_RwGSUo

Our new conquest in Hyvinkää, Finland. This trail is used for MtbEnduro competitions. We weren't as smooth as we would liked to be, but we had lots of fun filming.
    I like it!! The trail looks fun and challenging.

As for not riding the entire trail clean, it happens.

The riding looks some similar to the trails in New England here in the US. Rocky, Hardpack and often wet in places. Trees appear similar too.

Thanks for sharing that.

PK

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    youtu.be/mxX6_RwGSUo

Nice job with the movie.Looks like it was fun.As far as smoothness goes I think some movies you see the mistakes or bobbles are left on the editing room floor. Leaving a few in takes a lot more courage. Beautiful area that you have to ride in.
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    the Snot Rocket tandem

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by giff07 View Post
    Nice job with the movie.Looks like it was fun.As far as smoothness goes I think some movies you see the mistakes or bobbles are left on the editing room floor. Leaving a few in takes a lot more courage. Beautiful area that you have to ride in.
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    the Snot Rocket tandem
    The latest video I am working on editing is planned, not from your post, but I decided I wanted to show our first attempt that had us fail a climb, followed by more bobbles before we got going again. Then the second attempt which we were able to make the climb clean.

FWIW, seems the places we tend to video, a crash could be not in our best interest. The cool funny crashes or hangup never seem to be on video.

PK

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast