Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The ECDM thread

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Heat sink backing plates would help and I am thinking about that. But still the root of the problem is that the pistons are stainless steel and the heat from even aluminum backing plates will go straight through them and then boil the fluid. Might help some by directing some heat towarards the fins though. Mostly a band aid fix though.

I did see the Castrol fluid and the excellent performace when wet. I change the fluid so often that I am not willing to pay the price for that stuff $$. Dry it is the same as the Motul 660. Nice thing about the Hope's is that they bleed like a car and it is super easy and fast.

Overall the Hope's are really nice. I guess I just need to buy the newer models as they are getting better and more suited to higher performance demands.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Is that with a Hope vented disc too?

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I am not using the vented disc just the floating. I am happy with the performance at this point but if it deteriorates I will try the vented discs.
    Mark

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Smile Other Aussie EDcM owners??

Hi, just a brief message to ask if there are any Aussie ECdM owners who use this forum?
    My wife and I are awaiting the delivery of our 29er from Alex

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE ECdM View Post
    Hi, just a brief message to ask if there are any Aussie ECdM owners who use this forum?
    Not an Aussie but We don't think you will be disappointed with your Made in the USA ECDM or any dealings with MTB Tandems. Be sure to post pics and your ride experiences here. Good Luck!
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    the Snot Rocket tandem
    Grinch Green ECDM 26'er
    Toms River, NJ USA
    (East Coast)

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks Ed or Pat, I have been very happy with the process of plan, order, build so far. Our ECdM is due to leave Atlanta this week for the long trip Down Under.
    It's 29er ECdM
    Champagne
    19/14
    Cheers,
    Tim & Jodie
    Victoria Australia

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post, but I have been reading mtbr/mtbtandem for few months now. I and my spouse live in southern Finland. We have been riding our mini tandem for 1,5 years and decided to expand our riding territory.

We bought our first mtbTandem and it is Ventana ECDM 17/14. It is former showroom bike. Specs include...

RS Pike 454
    DT Swiss 540 rear hub / mavic 729
    XT front hub / mavic 729
    XT derailleurs and Deore shifters
    Truvativ Firex chainset (Picture: Shimano Ultergra ISIS)
    Magura Louise 203/180 brakes
    Schwalbe Racing Ralphs

We have been riding for couple of weeks and we have enjoyed very much. Only thing I would like to change is Racing Ralphs. I have been looking for more aggressive tyres which have decent rolling resistance. I think Maxxis Ardents could be one option to consider, but I don't know does 2,4" Ardent fit into rear fork... Is there teams riding with Maxxis Ardent 2.4" ?

Ville&Elina
    Hyvinkaa, Finland

Our bike:
    w w w.flickr.com/photos/villeparkkinen/7543784380/

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Welcome to Tim & Jodie and Ville & Elina!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TaitettaVille View Post
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post, but I have been reading mtbr/mtbtandem for few months now. I and my spouse live in southern Finland. We have been riding our mini tandem for 1,5 years and decided to expand our riding territory.

We bought our first mtbTandem and it is Ventana ECDM 17/14. It is former showroom bike. Specs include...

RS Pike 454
    DT Swiss 540 rear hub / mavic 729
    XT front hub / mavic 729
    XT derailleurs and Deore shifters
    Truvativ Firex chainset (Picture: Shimano Ultergra ISIS)
    Magura Louise 203/180 brakes
    Schwalbe Racing Ralphs

We have been riding for couple of weeks and we have enjoyed very much. Only thing I would like to change is Racing Ralphs. I have been looking for more aggressive tyres which have decent rolling resistance. I think Maxxis Ardents could be one option to consider, but I don't know does 2,4" Ardent fit into rear fork... Is there teams riding with Maxxis Ardent 2.4" ?

Ville&Elina
    Hyvinkaa, Finland

Our bike:
    w w w.flickr.com/photos/villeparkkinen/7543784380/
    Wow nice ride love the color

MTB Tandem Nut
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE ECdM View Post
    You mean this one?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The ECDM thread-champagne-ecdm292.jpg  

MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    You are a legend Alex, can't wait to receive this ECdM then get out for our first ride, cheers and thanks again Alex (and your team), Tim-Downunder

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    We made short video about our favorite singletrack. We are using ECDM, so maybe this is right topic .

youtu.be/6lA_Ygaxk1k

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Nice trail! Looks like a green version of Bend, Oregon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Good video. For some reason the shots going through the trees when you can't see the tandem or riders reminds me of Star Wars and being on the Speeder bikes on Endor.
    Beautiful area! and Great looking ECDM.
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    the Snot Rocket tandem

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Nice video work!!
    looks like a fun place to ride my daughter wants to know if you ever seen Bigfoot

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by XC Mike View Post
    Nice video work!!
    looks like a fun place to ride my daughter wants to know if you ever seen Bigfoot
    Thank you! We have very few elusive animals in Finland. . I think once we thought we had a lion running loose near Russian border. We were wrong, it was runaway dog. So, no, We haven't had any Big Foot sightings!

PMK
    mtbr member
    This place has been kind of dead lately, maybe nobody is riding anymore, maybe riding all the time, or possibly there is a new hangout and I am unaware of.

So just to toss in a post, been working on the ECDM a little, actually riding it more.

Did a quicky rear shock rebuild, it was overdue, so I made that happen one night before a ride. Also dropped the lowers on the Fox 40, cleaning and lubing seals plus a new shot of lower leg fluid.

Decided the rear der that came on the bike SRAM X7 was getting a bit sloppy. So I opted in for keeping the black / red theme alive and found a used XO rear der with the red colored and carbon cage. Not a bad touch, looks good and was a fraction of new in cost. Shifting improved also.

Tires are spent, so should have some new Panaracer Rampages here by the end of the week.

I've been accused of not ever using brakes, but somehow it's time for new brake pads too.

I'll see if I can get another photo next week after it gets washed, and finish up some more maintenance items.

In regards to the red accents, the frame is the same Black Super Dust, it has red Race Face cranks with polished outer edge lips, red seat collars, red (Manitou) valve stem cap on the Fox DHX air 5.0 Boost Valve, Red accents from the Avid BB7 brakes front and rear, and red valve stem caps on the tubes. Offsetting the red is the blue of the Fox 40 fork and DHX air adjuster knobs and decals. The polished rims, which seem dated, along with the polished rear triangle prevent the silly "murdered out" look as they call it.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi Paul and Jeanne,
    Glad to hear all is well and you're riding comfotably again.Good to hear about the Fandango also as selling a bike with that much blood, sweat and tears into it is like selling one of the family. We have also been riding a fair amount as the summer up here has been very condusive to it. The weather has not been too dry and not too wet(the lawn is still green) and the same temperature wise.Trying to take advantage of that.We rode with the DOGS last weekend and had a good time doing so.It is amazing at the comments a group of 4 or 5 tandems get riding through a bunch of single bikes on the trail. We chose not to travel this year and have been enjoying life at the Jersey Shore.
    Stay in touch,
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    the Snot Rocket tandem

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Been riding off and on this summer due to injuries, but the bike has been pretty solid. Lots of wear-item replacements in the last few months (RD, cassette, chain, and cables). Been dealing with the 2011 Marzocchi 66 QR20 that loosens up slightly over time, giving a clunking at the front end. Finally figured out some tricks to securing it (had no issues the first six months or so), including greasing it and adding a section of road tube as a rubber boot to prevent grit from co-mingling with the grease.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    So many nice colors I would have a hard time picking a color if I had too

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    So many nice colors I would have a hard time picking a color if I had too
    It's worse than that! Ventana has a wide range of colors you CAN pick from, beyond the "normal" ones generally offered or spec'ed as standard for a particular frame.

mtbr member

ECDM 29 update

PMK, great to hear that you are back on the Ventana!!

I suppose it is time to check back in regarding our ECDM 29. It's been nearly a year and we have put some miles on this bike! No races ths year, but lots of long fun rides. We are extremely pleased with this bike. I think that's an understatement. A little history for those who may not know. We started on the MTB tandem several years back with a 26" ECDM. The bike was purchased and built with the intent on riding/racing the Leadville 100. We completed that race in 2009 and 2010. Very happy with the 26" wheeled bike, but was intrigued with the bigger wheels and figured the larger wheel (especially the front) would be a huge benefit for the offload tandem - b/c it is nearly impossible to lift the front end over obstacles. So in 2010, we decided to build a Fandango 29, this was a bit of an experiment, but figured that we could build that bike quite a bit cheaper than a ECDM 29. Long story short, we were big fans of the big wheels. After one season on that bike we decided that the 26" ECDM had to go to make room for a 29" wheeled ECDM.

That brings us to where we are now. I'll cut to the chase, this bike is awesome! I don't know if I would change one thing if I were to do it all over again from scratch.

The build:
    Ventana ECDM 29" frame (17/16) tapered head tube , carbon black, powder coated rear triangle 145 spacing
    DaVinci cranks (anodized black)
    Phil wood Ti BBs
    Magura MT6 brakes (203 rotors)
    SRAM X9 10sp 3x10 (11/36 cassette)
    Thompson seatposts
    Chris King headset
    Maverick DUC 32 fork - Switched to Fox 34 again
    Chris King hubs, laced to Velocity P35 rims
    Maxxis Ardent 2.4 front tire
    Panaracer Rampage 2.35 rear tire
    That's the main stuff...

I guess the bike has a little longer wheelbase, but I don't seem to notice any issues. Ventana makes an amazing frame! Alex at MTBTandems.com Home Page is a pleasure to deal with and knows his stuff!!

I'm sure I could go on an on about the bike, but it is just the perfect bike! If you have the means, get yourself one of these bikes!!!! So maybe this is not much of a critical review as it is a testimonial as to how much we love our bike! What I can say is that after spec'ing two other tandems and riding them thousands of miles, we have dialed in our perfect bike.

From MTB tandems

Click the link at the bottom of this picture to see some amazing views from the 401 trail in Crested Butte Colorado. If you view it via slide show, there's some narration at the bottom of each picture.
    From Crested Butte 401 - 2012
    Last edited by ds2199; 08-25-2014 at 01:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Great pics Dan and Bevin, thanks for the follow up report on the 29er ECDM. Glad to hear you're happy with it. We haven't been to Colorado since 1977 for our 5th anniversary.( Yes we've been married that long!). Seeing your pics sure makes me want to go again.
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    the Snot Rocket tandem

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Nice Lookin' Ride Dan
    what stoker stem you running?

mtbr member
    Nice Lookin' Ride Dan
    what stoker stem you running?
    Thanks!!! As you can gather, we like it!

The stoker stem is actually a trials stem (fixed length) I think it is 175mm.

Potence Echo SL 20" CNC 175mm x 30 degrés - TRIALPROD

I did not buy it from there - but I think that's the one!

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast