Thread: Drivetrain Q..

Ultra Ventanaphile

Drivetrain Q..

Just a quick question about drivetrain longevity..
    How often do you all find you need to replace the timing rings and timing chain? If ever?

Not that I'm anywhere near putting a lot of miles on our ECDM, just planning out Bike purchases for the forseeable future and the thought came to time.

thanks!
    -Aaron
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    We get a lot better chain wear on the timing side than the drive side.

"the big red train"
    Apr 2007
    We haven't needed to replace the timing drivetrain in the last 5 years. We purchased the bike used 5 years ago and have yet to do anything to the timing side other then clean and lube the chain.

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008

Drivetrain stuff

There's a big thread that tangents this going on over on DF (Double Forte). I can only assume its Spring Cleaning season! Our 2006 ElConq still uses the original drivetrain. We are fairly easy on stuff in terms of total miles, but ride hard when we do. It uses Middleburn rings, including singlespeed timing rings and chain. Our 1999 Cannondale MT3000 has had tons of miles: 5 hard years off-road and 4 years as my in-laws touring bike. It has and chains replaced once or twice, but has original rings and cassette. I do take good care of our bikes, bit I don't buy new things until I need to.

PMK
    mtbr member
    The DF topic is sliding around a bit like we are riding red clay in Georgia.

If you never rode red clay, Alex can explain.

Our ECDM timing set was replaced about 100 miles ago. The set that was on it when we got her had Salsa timing rings and two different part number SRAM chains.

We do not run a 'puter on that bike, but my guess would be well under 1000 miles including the original owner and us. Two Surly SS rings were here so I just swapped it all. The Salsa set had jumped a couple times on us for no good reason under heavy load.

PK

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Thanks all, sounds like I don't have much to worry about if the Timing chain/rings are working well now.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."