Thread: Calfee 29er

mtbr member

Calfee 29er

Did anyone see the Calfee 29er here on MTBR?

(I had to come back and edit) RIGHT side drive too...

Calfee Tandem 29er MTB | Mountain Bike Review
    Last edited by ds2199; 03-12-2012 at 05:46 PM.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Did you see the price!!!!???

$$$19K

DI2 electric shifting

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ds2199 View Post

Left side drive too...

The other left?

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    The other left?

PK
    Right... I mean right side.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Did you see the price!!!!???

$$$19K

DI2 electric shifting

PK
    I did not see the price, but it seems that there is an inverse relationship to weight and price (and it's not linear). So a price like that does not surprise me for such a one of a kind machine. I think I recall that the Eriksen Ti tandem was like 37lbs and priced around $12-13k. So it only costs you $1,000 per pound of weight savings... Lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Lots of things I don't care for, the price being the first. The electronic shifting is nice and we are considering it for the road tandem but don't care for it off road just yet. Seen a lot of carbon fiber frames broken on the trail and most have a fairly limited warrenty. Can't imagine this to be any different especially being a hardtail. Lastly, how much do you think one of those integrated bar, stem, seatpost units will cost to replace? I know you can go back to aluminum parts but then you've defeated the weight issue. Don't like the thought of my stoker torque-ing on her bars and perhaps breaking my seatpost. Could lead to some splinters in a sensitive area. Anyway I guess I'm just an old guy.
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    the Snot Rocket tandem

PS- Snot Rocket is back in action- 4 rides since its return a week ago. Thank you Sherwood and Ventana!

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by ds2199 View Post

Left side drive too...

Saw it in person and was woefully un-impressed! Like a one-off show car, the Calfee came across as just an exercise in design/show piece. The Seatstays are incredible thin and the chainstays weren't much bigger. We weren't allowed to touch it let alone feel for flex, the maintubes were huge but I don't see how this won't be flexy since they are relying strictly on the lugs for rigidity length wise in the chassis.

Eriksen did the same things, no third member tube, when I asked the kid what they did to make up for that, he had no idea what I was asking about. He was just selling the fact that it was Ti and had SS couplers.

And before anybody thinks I'm down on Calfee, no, some of their single bikes especially the road machines where top notch stuff.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Well it looks like the Calfee wasn't the only tandem at the show. Ritchey has always had his own way of doing things. Check out this breakaway rig. I am not sure but the joints don't look like S&S. It will take 700c or 650b wheels, interesting concept. Speaking of "no third member tube", how about the old school reversed tube?

Basically what I got out of both of these videos is that the (bike) industry may be paying attention and there seems to be more of a market for MTB tandems. I hope it is true.

J
    Last edited by malaclemys; 03-13-2012 at 07:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Ritchey has their own coupling system. They talk about it occasionally in the Frame Building forum.