Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40

Thread: Aorta 2014!

  1. #1
    MTB Tandem Nut
    Reputation: TandemNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    657

    Aorta 2014!

    AORTA 2014 will be June 6th - 9th, 2014. We'll be returning to Asheville, NC. Rides this year will include a day at DuPont State Forest rocking the incredible trails there.
    Our FB page will have detail updates, so if you're on FB, Friend us for updates: https://www.facebook.com/mtb.tandems?fref=ts
    Will also post details here as they hatch.
    Hope lots of you can join us!
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    539
    Finals are the 9th-11th

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    242
    So, Who's goin'??? We intend to, It will be our third time. Alex and Kim are great hosts.
    Pat and I are looking foward to meeting new faces and sharing some time with all our friends.
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    the Snot Rocket tandem

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,051
    Meeting up with a fleet of tandem nuts sounds like fun. We could consider it if our time off was not spoken for this year.

    Have a blast!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    265
    Cannot wait for this event. We will be there anxious to ride new terrain and meet new teams!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    242
    There is generally a good mixture of team abilities at AORTA. Something offered for everyone. Many nice folks. Look foward to meeting you and your stoker.
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    the Snot Rocket tandem

  7. #7
    PMK
    PMK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PMK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,290
    Yes, many varied ability levels. Better still great people.

    We hope to be there.

    Both places, Dupont and Bent Creek are fun on a tandem. I would love to get a bunch of tandems over to Tsali. Maybe do a fun pace and have lunch at the overlook or somewhere nearby.

    PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    242
    That is good news, Pat and I hope to see you and Jeanne at AORTA. Its been too long. Once you are able to commit keep us in the loop as to your plans. Thinking of you yesterday, it was single digit temps here so I spent the day doing my fork and rear shock maintenence. Saw the pics on facebook and so jealous you guys were in shorts and SS jerseys on the tandem.
    Ed and Pat

  9. #9
    PMK
    PMK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PMK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,290
    Ed, FWIW, it got cold this week. Was in the 40's, then got wet and pretty cool, and now it has warmed up but lots of rain.

    I need to get our Ventana ready for Ididaride. Hopefully it will be nice like last year. We did the event with Jamie and Jennifer, plus another tandem that did not finish. I apologize to that team since I forgot your names.

    Ididaride was a new event for us last year and we look forward to it again.

    Suwannee Bicycle Association - Come Out & Play with SBA!

    Aorta should be fun. It would also be cool if Alex did a ride from his shop to the local trail at Blankets Creek. We did not ride the entire trail system last May, but what we did ride was another great tandem trail, especially the two jumps.

    We'll be thinking of you if we do our planned ride tomorrow night.

    Tell Pat, Brenda and Larry plus the others that we say hello.

    PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

  10. #10
    ALM
    ALM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    107
    The 6th is the last day of school. I have already talked to my stoker and asked her to try and be off. We would love to make this one and are planning now to attend. We will have to drive straight thru or maybe some on the 5th after she gets off work and then finish on Friday.
    What will the temps be there in June. Here in Texas we are already hitting mid 90s

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    265
    June temps in North GA can range from high 70s to well into the 90s. In either case, the humidity is what will usually getcha first.

    AORTA is in an area of NC that is at a higher elevation and my experience is that although temps may be a few degrees cooler, the humidity is likely still high.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    MTB Tandem Nut
    Reputation: TandemNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    657
    I'd like to see a Tsali day on Friday maybe, but not sure how we'll be fixed for being on that ride since we have to get set up and all. We can put it on the schedule if you guys want. May not have local ride leaders, but it's hard to get lost at Tsali.
    Paul, when the temps got into the 40's here this morning, it felt like a heat wave. I rode the long way to work .
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

  13. #13
    ALM
    ALM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
    June temps in North GA can range from high 70s to well into the 90s. In either case, the humidity is what will usually getcha first.

    AORTA is in an area of NC that is at a higher elevation and my experience is that although temps may be a few degrees cooler, the humidity is likely still high.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    well we are used to humidity!!
    We have almost 100% humidity daily. Good ole gulf coast .
    We are in Galveston right now enrolling my daughter at Texas A&M to study marine science. You can cut the humidity with a knife!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    265
    Alex, I am very familiar with Tsali and have ridden the tandem there extensively. It is probably one of the top 2 or 3 trails for an mtb tandem that we've ridden. I've got some video I'll post up of our last camping trip.

    We would be happy to be ride leaders on Friday for Tsali and then head over to the Brevard area.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    ALM
    ALM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    107
    Would really like to see the video! If we get to make it all of the trails will be new to us. We have viewed many of Paul's videos from the previous AORTA'S.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    16
    I think we need a "AORTA West" out here in Arizona....maybe in Jan or Feb when our weather is sunny and 72. Like today.

    Who would be interested in something like that??

    MR

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMarkR View Post
    I think we need a "AORTA West" out here in Arizona....maybe in Jan or Feb when our weather is sunny and 72. Like today.

    Who would be interested in something like that??

    MR
    Arizona Off Road Tandem Adventure?????

    Ed and Pat
    the Snot Rocket tandem

  18. #18
    MTB Tandem Nut
    Reputation: TandemNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMarkR View Post
    I think we need a "AORTA West" out here in Arizona....maybe in Jan or Feb when our weather is sunny and 72. Like today.

    Who would be interested in something like that??

    MR
    Now THAT sounds like a great idea! Do you have a location in mind?
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by TandemNut View Post
    Now THAT sounds like a great idea! Do you have a location in mind?

    Why yes....yes I do! I'll track you down this week and we can discuss further. I'd like to hear a little more about the rides you're doing at AORTA, and what you think would make a good experience "out west"...!

  20. #20
    PMK
    PMK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PMK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,290
    While Arizona sounds nice, what are the benefits to go to Arizona vs California, Colorado, Utah or other places out west.

    I have never been riding out west, but have had many people return with awesome experiences and seldom hear Arizona as a placed they stopped.

    Not slamming Arizona, more curious.

    PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    While Arizona sounds nice, what are the benefits to go to Arizona vs California, Colorado, Utah or other places out west.

    I have never been riding out west, but have had many people return with awesome experiences and seldom hear Arizona as a placed they stopped.

    Not slamming Arizona, more curious.

    PK
    Benefits? Well.....most importantly, someone to organize the ride...

    Southern Calif might be an option in Jan or Feb, but Utah and Colorado just aren't going to be much fun in those months. Unless you enjoy riding in wet and cold....

    Finally, yes, Arizona has some of the best MTB, and road riding in the country. If we put this together, you can come out and see for yourself! Quite a bit of info here, in fact:

    Arizona

  22. #22
    PMK
    PMK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PMK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,290
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMarkR View Post
    Benefits? Well.....most importantly, someone to organize the ride...

    Southern Calif might be an option in Jan or Feb, but Utah and Colorado just aren't going to be much fun in those months. Unless you enjoy riding in wet and cold....

    Finally, yes, Arizona has some of the best MTB, and road riding in the country. If we put this together, you can come out and see for yourself! Quite a bit of info here, in fact:

    Arizona

    Awesome answer. Are you planning this for 2014, or 2015? I realize Jan 2014 is mostly gone, but is Feb a possibility?

    Not being a wise ass, but is this open terrain with cactus or tight tree lined singletrack. Any video or photos (single or Tandem)of what to expect?

    PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,051
    Arizona is a diverse state with arid deserts to alpine forests. I presume we're talking Phoenix area.

    Paul, desert riding is diverse as well. FI, McDowell Mountain Preserve and other areas are pretty open overall; South Mountain is generally tighter and chunkier. Overall, the terrain is harsh, and hard on bikes and riders. Tons of rocks and sharp things. Few trees to speak of (as you know them in FL), mostly cactus and creosote bushes.

    It's prime season in SoCal during this time, FWIW. And there is a great range of riding options. Ocean views, lush canyons. 5K' 25 mi mountain climbs to 8 mile descents in Cleveland NF; smaller areas (Aliso Woods, Laguna Coast Wilderness Park) along the coast with all the optional tech you'd want. Much less rocky terrain than Phoenix.

    Cheers...

  24. #24
    PMK
    PMK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PMK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,290
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    Arizona is a diverse state with arid deserts to alpine forests. I presume we're talking Phoenix area.

    Paul, desert riding is diverse as well. FI, McDowell Mountain Preserve and other areas are pretty open overall; South Mountain is generally tighter and chunkier. Overall, the terrain is harsh, and hard on bikes and riders. Tons of rocks and sharp things. Few trees to speak of (as you know them in FL), mostly cactus and creosote bushes.

    It's prime season in SoCal during this time, FWIW. And there is a great range of riding options. Ocean views, lush canyons. 5K' 25 mi mountain climbs to 8 mile descents in Cleveland NF; smaller areas (Aliso Woods, Laguna Coast Wilderness Park) along the coast with all the optional tech you'd want. Much less rocky terrain than Phoenix.

    Cheers...
    Thanks for the description. Guess we'll see where this may be held. I suppose my concern stems from the idea that this is primarily open terrain, fast and flowing with minimal features to ride. Sort of like a road ride on dirt.

    The stoker asked about where we should ride this year before AORTA was announced, I suggested we should go to Anchorage.

    This team would really like to ride GTR followed by AORTA. Stokers work is the concern for the long week. So she may wind up riding GTR, flying home from ATL, then come back to Asheville for AORTA. Still working it out.

    PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ds2199's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    687
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    ...The stoker asked about where we should ride this year before AORTA was announced, I suggested we should go to Anchorage.

    PK

    Come out to Colorado! We'll show you you great riding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 56
    Last Post: 06-27-2014, 11:16 PM
  2. 2014 Trek Fuel EX 5 vs 2014 Kona Precept DL
    By Cheesecakeslash in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-17-2013, 07:42 PM
  3. 2014 Remedy 8 29er or 2014 Enduro 29 comp
    By mo6500 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-04-2013, 07:04 PM
  4. 2014 aorta!
    By ALM in forum Tandem Mountain Bikes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-09-2013, 01:33 PM
  5. AORTA 2011 Videos and Photos
    By PMK in forum Tandem Mountain Bikes
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-27-2011, 02:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •