mtbr member
    Nov 2005

1Up USA Tandem rack

This past spring I purchased a 1Up rack to use with my single bikes and in the process of purchasing, I contacted Rob, Owner of 1Up, to find out if there was a way to modify the rack for use with a tandem on the rear of the car. 1Up already has a roof mounted tandem rack, but at 5'9", I don't see how we could possible get a tandem on the roof of our Expedition. Plus, we wanted to use the rack on our other vehicle, too.

As it turns out, 1Up sells a wider center plate (called a 15deg plate) designed to space the wheel trays further out. I ordered one and after receiving, turned one of my existing trays into a tandem specific rack. A nice feature is the multiple mounting holes to allow you to space the wheel trays apart at different distances based upon length of wheelbase. In the case of a 29'r Fandango, it requires the trays at the widest mounting location.

Installation was simple enough and with the tandem mounted, there is some movement fore/aft of the bike. I solved that with a long ratchet strap looped around the seat/top-tube junction and down to the hitch and then cinched it tight. This eliminated any and all movement. As for width, the wheels are about as wide as the mirrors, maybe slightly wider. I've noticed no issues with the width while going down the road.

Loading is quick and easy when compared to removing the front wheel and putting inside the Expedition. For our trip down to FL last week, it made sense to put the tandem inside the car to maintain gas mileage, etc. Overall, for local trips of 2-3 hours or less, it is a great option for quick and easy loading and transporting.

If you are interested in this option, you need the 1Up quick rack and a long 15deg plate. The extra long plate cost $65.

Attaching the long 15deg plate.

Time for a test fit.

On the road.
    1Up USA Tandem rack-20130616_115522.jpg

Happy Trails

1Up USA Tandem rack

Helpful. +rep for you, bro.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    That looks like it would work for a long-wheelbase cargobike (like the Big Dummy) too. Is it on their webpage, or do you need to call to ask about it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

1Up USA Tandem rack

Wow, that's crazy!!!

And, I'm glad it works for you.

I have a single tray and I'm thinking about getting another tray.

If I got tandem I would get the tandem tray and put it on my room... I have a '12 Outback

Still kinda high but I have a step stool in the back!

The Outback is too narrow I would think.

Joel
    2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
    IMBA Member

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

1Up USA Tandem rack

Wow, that's crazy!!!

And, I'm glad it works for you.

I have a single tray and I'm thinking about getting another tray.

If I got tandem I would get the tandem tray and put it on my room... I have a '12 Outback

Still kinda high but I have a step stool in the back!

The Outback is too narrow I would think.

Oh, and thanks for the pic!

Joel
    2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
    IMBA Member

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Re: 1Up USA Tandem rack

Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post
    That looks like it would work for a long-wheelbase cargobike (like the Big Dummy) too. Is it on their webpage, or do you need to call to ask about it?
    I believe you need to call and request the long 15deg plate.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Looks to be illegal in almost every state judging by the width past the fender wells. I know for sure I'd get stopped.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126 View Post
    Looks to be illegal in almost every state judging by the width past the fender wells. I know for sure I'd get stopped.
    In that case, I'd suggest that you use the roof rack version. On my expedition, it is only as wide as the mirrors.
    1Up USA Tandem rack-uploadfromtaptalk1371664081251.jpg

Ultra Ventanaphile
    That's a common misconception about legal width. At least here in California, the Code reads...

GENERAL RULE

35100. (a) The total outside width of any vehicle or its load shall not exceed 102 inches.

I know my ECDM 26" is right about 98" wide. So not sure where the 29'er Tandems end up at but probably squeak in the "legal" width.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Yeah by that camera angle it maybe only as wide as your mirror, wanna use my glasses. I promise you in most states all it's going to take is one squad car to follow you and you will be putting it on top before rolling again and you'll also have an early Christmas card in your wallet that will cost you a good portion of your Christmas shopping budget. I see it sticking at least four inches past yuor mirror and maybe six if you use a tape to check it. I've been pulled over with trunk mount ski racks with the ski bag only hanging out three inches past the side of the rear quarter panel. You've been warned. You might get by with one of those "wide load" banners across the front and cherries on top. Face it bud you get even close to the center line and you're hanging over in the other lane. What about cyclists you'll be passing on the road. They are going to love you brushing by.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I would not feel comfortable with that width. I would think you could get a much better fit with the front wheel off and the fork mounted. I love these type of racks and it would beat the hell out of hoisting it to the top of my honda element after a long ride and few beers

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You've been warned.
    Ease up, chief. Don't let Ciclistagonzo's facts get in the way of your rant.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    This made me LOL, I would never dream of having that hanging off the back of any vehicle. I m sure the OP will get away with it but that sure seems like a poor idea from the start.

mtbr member
    Time to start a pool on whether he gets pulled over. Who's holding the money. I say he get's caught within the first 50 miles with a bike on it. Not because I don't like it but because it's illegal and in these days of tight state and local budgets the authorities are just looking for something like this to ticket.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

You guys are something else. Isn't the internets a wonderful place?

rbs
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've run ours across the back of my Dakota since I got it. I'm way more concerned about a ticket for an obstructed plate than I am about load width. Harmonized regulations usually state 8'6" (2.6m) as the vehicle or load limit. By your reasoning any single behind a Smart car would net a ticket.

Edit:

By sticking fenders into my Google search, I do see a number of state laws that specifically reference the fenders of the vehicle, after telling me what the load limit is.

Vehicle Widths
    e.g. 35111. No passenger vehicle shall be operated on any highway with any load extending beyond the line of the fenders on its left side or more than six inches beyond the line of the fenders on its right side.

That rule gets broken a lot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Time to start a pool on whether he gets pulled over. Who's holding the money. I say he get's caught within
    Quit trolling the Tandem forum.

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008
    Our friend has been running one of these on her older Subie Forrester for over a year with no issues (legal ones, anyhow). It works great for her since she rides with her son.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    1Up USA Tandem rack-1052260_4915145600811_626980100_o.jpg1Up USA Tandem rack-1025747_4959167341327_1019972326_o-1-.jpg1Up USA Tandem rack-1048726_4960110604908_1448849164_o.jpg1Up USA Tandem rack-1064834_4960109604883_43488454_o.jpg1Up USA Tandem rack-1048542_4976697619573_1161162086_o.jpg