mtbr member

$1900 for 10yr old Santana?

My wife and I are in the market for a used tandem and one popped up at our local used gear store. It's a Cilantro and I estimate it's about 10 years old. 8 spd XTR (with the bluish finish), control tech stem, Tange Cromoly, non-V cantilever brakes.

We took a test ride and loved it but it's on consignment for $1890 which seems a bit steep. I'm willing to go $1500 which still seems high for that old a bike with no warrentee etc. but the store has to check with the owner before they can deal.

Am I being too cheap or should I stick to my guns even though it may mean someone else might buy it?

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    I just bought a KHS Tandem for $1100, and I've seen a few deals in the area for around the same. Personally, I wouldn't drop $1900 on a used Mountain Tandem unless it had disc brakes and a nice suspension fork. For $1900... it had better be a very nice 10 y/o bike.

I haven't been looking for tandems for long though so maybe I'm way off base here. Maybe I just stumbled into an amazing deal.

mtbr member
    $1900 might be a bit steep for a 10 y.o. tandem without many upgrades, but I think you'll find quality tandems hold their value way better than single bikes. Also, since frame style and geometries don't change radically, you can upgrade that older bike and you'll have something very nice and rideable for way less than new. No offense to the KHS, but the Santana is a far nicer frame than the KHS. If you can get it for $1500, I'd do it. You'll have a frame that will last for a long, long time.

MTB Tandem Nut
    You can almost buy a new Fandango with disc brakes and 9 speed for that price. Or a Cannondale. If you're going off-road, the difference in geometry will be worth it.
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com