mtbr member
    Oct 2012

XXL Ogre to L 1x1?

I was planning to get a 1x1 next year to complement the Ogre and thus make my life complete, but I've got a line on a very nice deal for a 20" 1x1 frameset.

Thing is, the Ogre is 24", which suits my legs fine but is too long for my torso. I've had to muck around with the cockpit a lot to shorten it up, but I've only got about four inches of seat post out.

The 22" 1x1 is probably the goldilocks size, but what chance do you think I've got of comfortably riding a 20"? Because it's a frameset I can't test ride it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I know its tempting.....
    I think you should finish the Ogre to the standard you dreamed of when you started.
    The smaller wheels etc ARE cheaper on the 1x1 but if you pour your budget into more projects then you wont end up with anything quite the way you want it. Either dump the unfinished Ogre or finish it properly would be my honest advice. Too often I've followed my heart and not my head when it comes to bikes, vehicles and women. All the damn things things cost too much for their ongoing maintenance but we do like our rides.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    I know its tempting.....
    I think you should finish the Ogre to the standard you dreamed of when you started.
    I am! It's in surgery right now getting an Alfine and a bunch of other parts.

It's completely rideable, but I really fell in love with single speeding and the TT issue is going to limit the ways I can set it up. A 1x1 has the versatility that you know all about from the Ogre, but also something different.

You're right, of course. I should rein in my impulsivity and stick with the Ogre alone - especially since I'd probably stick 29er wheels on a 1x1 - but jeeze it's tempting if I can fit comfortably.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Maybe you should save your money for a 22" Karate Monkey to complement your Ogre, and keep an eye on eBay in the interim for a good deal on a Monkey.

I <3 29ers
    Poor fit isn't worth the "nice deal" ... or the ****ed back and pain the follows from riding something that doesn't fit "just so".

I can get a nice deal on a Large 1x1 from B.C. if the seller would ever get back to me ... but i'm not about to bother him, I know the XL would fit me far better.

Save your money ... and your body.

YMMV, of course, as some people are more sensitive to proper fit than others ... but I gotta tell ya, dude, finding out the hard way REALLY sucks! Trust me, I speak from experience here. Saving a couple hundred bucks is NOT worth finding out the hard way, period.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for talking me down from the ledge.

I checked the frame out and it's too small anyway. I'll give the Ogre a thrashing before considering new bikes.