REALLY?

WTF? sorry, Surly cranks suck!

After changing the stock freewheel from a 20t to a 16t I managed some how to rip the chainrings right off the arms. WTF...weak pos.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Have you contacted surly about a warranty replacement?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I so love these 'product X sucks' threads. They never seem to tell the whole story...I wonder how many miles this crank has in it. Or how often the chainring was used as an assist to get over a log or ledge....but I digress. I'm sure it was a JRA situation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    At least it's modular so it won't be as expensive to fix. Did you install the spider with a torque wrench and follow a criss-cross pattern?

REALLY?
    I haven't touched the cranks since I bought the bike. The cranks are new, the guy who I got it from never rode it, to big for him, I've only had the bike less than two weeks. This is why my weekend-warrior/race bike has Saint DH cranks on it. Calling surly tomarow for replacement rings.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro
    I haven't touched the cranks since I bought the bike.

The fixing bolts of the spider to the crank arm were not tightened down. The great thing about these cranks is that you just need to buy a new spider for it, then you are back in the game!

mtbr member
    Does it suck? Yup.
    Is it the fault of the product? Unlikely.
    Do I regularly check my chainring bolts? You betcha.

You can email or call Surly, but you should also check this, and then perform regular checks/maintenance if you don't already. My guess is the guy you bought it from never even considered checking the bolts since he never rode it.

May 2009
    This was caused by a single chainring bolt that either broke or fell out.
    Nothing about it sucks. If you had alloy hardware or loose hardware we all know what sucked.
    MUD

My weiner is 10.5".....Oh wait...I'm holding this ruler backward.

REALLY?
    Since I do most of my own work I seldom or don't check my bolts, I do it right the first time, and when I do break something its often by brute force. Does the part suck? For most folks probably not, but I'm not everyone else, I ride bikes everyday, have most of my life, never had a car, just bikes. Point is, I'm harder on parts then most. The adaptor ring imo is rather thin, not much material there, again, this might not be the part for me, or the parts fault as some have mentioned, time will tell. That brings me to my next point, my lbs talked to Surly (eric - thanks big time) and they are going to flow me a new adaptor. So, I have no complaints there, furthermore I apologize for the rude post (thread), I'll put the new hardwear on myself and make sure they are tight and see if it holds up and I'm confident it will, again...time. And again thanks to Eric and the folks at surly, that's very cool of you guys and much appreciated...you rock.

PRETENDURO
    I always hate it when people title their threads, “X company sucks and their stuff breaks”, and then X company ends up comping the person for the broken parts. Too bad it always has to come down to someone posting first before emailing the company… but you make babies cry, so perhaps that was expected. Shave the goatee, dude.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Jeff, you could always sell the Surly cranks when you get the new goods and buy the Saint. It sounds like, you have the best luck with them according to your riding style. Thats what I would do.

REALLY?
    Actually, I'm going to give the cranks another try. I expect the bearings to go next, the right arm come loose and fail. I'm having pre-load problems now, when I tighten the right arm the bearings become tight and the arms no longer spin freely, also my right bearing cup has a nice groove carved in it from the sproket grinding on it when it failed. Had similar problems w/ a set of fake cro-mo profile style cranks on a Blk Mrkt I owned/sold a while back. Very poor design imo, never ever had this problem before with American BB's or most shimano stuff. If I do replace, it will be with Profile cranks, much cheaper then saints and as strong if not stronger. Here is a friendly suggestion, perhaps surly could make two versions of there adaptor, the current one, for road-racers and weight weenies, and one that's a least a 1/4" thick solid plate for us commuters and homeless folks who live/tour on our bikes and ride everyday. I personally wouldn't mind the weight penalty and would appreciate the peace of mind of having such a part on my bike. Something similar to this. This would also solve the problem of the the adaptor just disintegrating and destroying the BB cups should a bolt come loose/off.
    Last edited by jeffgothro; 04-05-2011 at 11:41 AM.

locked - time out
    Jun 2010

Herein lies the problem

"Since I do most of my own work I seldom or don't check my bolts, I do it right the first time, and when I do break something its often by brute force."

Any manual or tech info WILL tell you to check all fasteners frequently. There is no such thing as once and done.

REALLY?
    I know what the manuals say, they are written for folks who have little or no bike knowledge. I've been a mechanic over 35yrs and when I myself do the work my bike/parts don't come loose or break...unless I break it off by force? Also, lock-tight and plumbers tape are great stuff...try it out, I've never ever had a bolt come loose using above methods.

ballbuster

So...

Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro
    I know what the manuals say, they are written for folks who have little or no bike knowledge. I've been a mechanic over 35yrs and when I myself do the work my bike/parts don't come loose or break...unless I break it off by force? Also, lock-tight and plumbers tape are great stuff...try it out, I've never ever had a bolt come loose using above methods.
    You know better than Surly about how to install and maintain Surly cranks... and you installed with without the manual, and it failed on you. Hmmmmm. Must be Surly's fault!

I always install chainring bolts with a dab of blue loctite for exactly this reason. I also check them from time to time, because there is a lot of uneven stress on chainring bolts, and they love to work loose. If you worked on bikes regularly, you would know this.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    I didn't realize you were the same guy who couldn't figure out how to properly install your cranks. How odd that you would have a failure!