mtbr member
    Jun 2013

would you pay a premium for a sub 110 1x1?

as fate would have it, i've found a brand new surly 1x1 frame with sub 110 dropouts, serial number says its from 2001. it has never been faced, nor even had a wheel in the back dropout, it is truly cherry.

for me its kind of one of those more rare bikes, and the condition is what sparks my interest in it the most, as well as the harder to find pre surly dropoutswould you pay a premium for a sub 110 1x1?-1x1.jpgwould you pay a premium for a sub 110 1x1?-sub110.jpg

the guy who has it wants to sell it to me, but we're both pretty unsure of how much is fair, he's had it in the shop for a while, im just not sure as to if there should be a premium for the sub 110 dropouts on it...also; holy crap, aint she a beaut?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    What you pay for it should be reflected in what you plan to do with it. Or vice-versa, which ever works best for you.

Personally, I would not pay a penny more than the going rate for a modern 1x1, even as a curiosity. If you plan to build it, I would offer a few hundred dollars, to account for limited brake options (ie: rim brake only).

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    i definitely plan on building it and riding it...its what its for!

what exactly is the going rate these days, dont see just a frame on ebay...

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    why does the rear dropout have that huge indentation in it if it never had a wheel mounted? repaint?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    funny that it looks kinda like it. theres no indentation at all, this bike has spent the last 12 years hanging in a shop. might have been something with the light.

i've been trying to find the surly article on their site about sub 110 dropouts on these bikes, but have had no luck. anybody know which one im talking about can provide a link?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    $100 is fair, and that is sub $110.

A God Without A Name
    I'd pay a premium for a 1x1 that is not suspension adjusted. I don't understand why there are not more options for THAT.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    I'd pay a premium for a 1x1 that is not suspension adjusted. I don't understand why there are not more options for THAT.
    as in a steeper headtube to run just a rigid fork?

A God Without A Name
    I like the look, and feel of my 90's Rockhoppers. They're defintely not the greatest for Macho hairshirt Trail rides. but as tough as nails commuters that I can take on a trail. I love them. I just wish one manufacturer made that option. The tire gap on my Soma Groove has always annoyed me. aesthetically.

I liked the older 1x1 forks. though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    I like the look, and feel of my 90's Rockhoppers. They're defintely not the greatest for Macho hairshirt Trail rides. but as tough as nails commuters that I can take on a trail. I love them. I just wish one manufacturer made that option. The tire gap on my Soma Groove has always annoyed me. aesthetically.

I liked the older 1x1 forks. though.
    they make the old style 1x1 forks still, that are 80mm "suspension corrected," with jus canti studs and no disc tabs. im debating between that, or maybe the one with the disc tabs as well, so i could run a front disc at least, and canti back on it....since the frame kind of dictates i run cantilever in the back.

A God Without A Name
    My brand new 95 Rockhopper has Canti's. they will be swapped out for linear pulls along with fresh tires.

18 years in a box can do some bad things to brake pad, cable housings and rubber.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    i hear that. dry rot is nobodies friend. thinking some paul components motolites for the rear, and possibly a disc on the front...now to find an old black torsion bar for it...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    As nice as 1x1's are, they're not exactly collector bikes. I see no reason to pay a premium price.

Most I'd pay is $200 for that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Smile

Was curious about the sub110 dropout, thought it referred to the rear hub spacing ;-)

Anyway, if you are after the classic look of the frame without disc brake tabs, then i say go for it, but stay with V-brakes front and rear to maintain the look

This frame will really go well with my old 1x1 wheelset (silver surly non-disc fixed-gear hubs, DT Swiss revolution spokes + mavic 618 ceramic rims) and old xtr V-brakes, but the wheelset is now installed in my wifey's 1x1 fixie, and the xtr V-brakes are now in my kid's tandem

Premium price or not, get it now before somebody else grabs it!

(I know I will, if I ever I see one in my local bike shop)
    biker boy

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bb1mina View Post
    Was curious about the sub110 dropout, thought it referred to the rear hub spacing ;-)

Anyway, if you are after the classic look of the frame without disc brake tabs, then i say go for it, but stay with V-brakes front and rear to maintain the look

This frame will really go well with my old 1x1 wheelset (silver surly non-disc fixed-gear hubs, DT Swiss revolution spokes + mavic 618 ceramic rims) and old xtr V-brakes, but the wheelset is now installed in my wifey's 1x1 fixie, and the xtr V-brakes are now in my kid's tandem

Premium price or not, get it now before somebody else grabs it!

(I know I will, if I ever I see one in my local bike shop)
    im going to pick it up asap, the shops owner that has it is out of town for a spell, so i'll have a bit of time to figure some money out. if you ever wanna sell that 1x1 wheel set you let me know, i plan on building this thing up old style, so 1x1 hubs, v brakes, torsion bar, blower drive, and non disc tab fork. i might go sun rhynolite's if i can find them at a good price as well...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    That wheelset ain't going nowhere:-)

I got that ceramic rim as a NOS, with a slight blemish on the ceramic finish of one rim (with no adverse effect on braking), but still, it looks awesome, and braking power is so good

I'm sure you can find one of these for sale, if you look hard enough, I think DT Swiss still manufactures ceramic rims for mtb

Good luck with your classic build

P.s. torsion bars look awesome on 1x1s, just be sure to use the older Thomson stems with a 15 degree rise
    biker boy

mtbr member

very cool...what is that worth to you?

Quote Originally Posted by kilroywashere View Post
    as fate would have it, i've found a brand new surly 1x1 frame with sub 110 dropouts, serial number says its from 2001. it has never been faced, nor even had a wheel in the back dropout, it is truly cherry.

for me its kind of one of those more rare bikes, and the condition is what sparks my interest in it the most, as well as the harder to find pre surly dropoutsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1x1.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	815689Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sub110.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	815688

the guy who has it wants to sell it to me, but we're both pretty unsure of how much is fair, he's had it in the shop for a while, im just not sure as to if there should be a premium for the sub 110 dropouts on it...also; holy crap, aint she a beaut?

I just found a cherry 1x1=11 frameset. I paid 350. I got the fork, headset, chaintug, seat collar, and crankset. I thought it was a fair price becuase the bike has a rare cool factor for me. that coolness factor is worth money to me.

what a cool find you have there!!! hangin' in the shop for 10 years!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007