Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Worried that I've decided on too small of a frame.

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Saddle Up 
#1 ·
From everything I've read and tried I need a 50cm cross check. Apparently I like short top tubes of around 21 inches or 53.3cm if I converted that properly. Although my inseam for cycling is 32 inches.

Should I get the 50 or the 52?

#3 ·
Either frame is going to fit you fine. According to the Surly website, the 50 has a 541.8mm ETT and the 52 has a 547.1mm ETT. That's less than 1 cm of difference. You can easily obtain your optimal reach by increasing or decreasing your stem length. Standover is 30.3" on the 52 and 30.6" on the 52. Again, not a big difference. Hardly noticable.

Personally, I'm more in line with the "get the biggest frame that fits" school of thought. Gets your handlebars up higher. Gives you a nice esthetic "fistful" of seatpost. Less toe overlap. But, I know some people prefer a slightly smaller frame, particularly for racing or offroad riding. So its really up to you.

#4 ·
FWIW, I debated the 54 and 56 CC's years ago and bought a 56. After a couple years I sold it because I could never get really comfortable on it. I've since ridden a 54 and it fits perfect out of the box. If you are debating, you should find a shop that has both and test ride. If you're taking the risk in e-choosing, err on the small side. Disclaimer: This advice only pertains to the Cross Check, as it fits differently than many other bikes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.