mtbr member
    May 2005

Will Other Manufacturers Jump on the 26+ and 29+ Bandwagon?

The Krampus and the Instigator are really cool, but will we see non-Surly tire options in the future? Will other frame makers make their own 26+ or 29+ frames? What do you guys think?

I'm a bit skeptical it will catch on, but then I am surprised how different things seem to be in bike land right now. When 29ers came out, everyone dragged their feet and it took forever to get new fork and tire options. Now the whole industry seems to rushing to go with 650B. And bikes that used to be niche are getting more love than I ever expected (fat tire, disc braked road/cyclocross/gravel/commuter). Even so, I don't expect to see a Trek/Giant/Specialized 29+ or even a Santa Cruz/Intense/Turner version of either 26+ or 29+.

mtbr member
    Well, seeing that the 26+ wheels and tires come out to 650b, I guess just any 650b is a 26+ bike. But the 29+ option, I see only being a Surly option. I could be wrong, but it wouldnt bum me out, I like Surly's products and they way they do things.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    fat bikes have caught on something fierce, especially with the big names like trek and specialized making one now, it wouldnt surprise me if mid fat caught on as well, not everybody necessarily needs a tire as big as even the pugsly...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I think they will continue to be niche, because for most people's purposes a full suspension rig makes more sense than fatter tires, negating the suspension benefit, and the extra floatation isn't necessary for most people's riding. But it is neat to see other companies jumping on the bandwagon.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    I agree with what has been said so far, but I do think (and hope) that fat tire manufacturers will begin to make more tires in 26+ and 29+. I would like to see a 29+ Nate or Husker Du for my Krampus.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by riiz View Post
    Well, seeing that the 26+ wheels and tires come out to 650b, I guess just any 650b is a 26+ bike. But the 29+ option, I see only being a Surly option. I could be wrong, but it wouldnt bum me out, I like Surly's products and they way they do things.
    Even though 26+ is the same height as 650B, 2.7 inch wide tires will most likely not fit in frames designed for 650B. So you might have a few fork options, but tires, rims, and frames will still be Surly only.

If 29+ remains a Surly only option, then would you be happy to keep spending that much money on tires and only having a couple of tires to choose from?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    There's already been quite a few (albeit, small scale custom builders) designing frames for 29+. I'm curious to see though if others will make tires.

Using the fatbikes as an example, up until maybe the past year or so only QBP made tires (Surly/45NRTH), then there was Tommisea (that never interested me) and I forget who else. Heck, Specialized was showing their fatbike up until last month on Surly tires at their show. So in their case, the bike came before the Ground Control tires.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    Used to be a slew of huge 26" tires out there--luckily I bought a bunch of them and still have a good supply. It's a blast attempting to wash out the front end with a three inch tire. (I usually have to cheat and use the brake )

The real problem to me is the Instigator style rear--not many reasonably light but durable 26x2.5-2.75's out there... hoping the Dirt Wizard will fit that bill.

mtbr member
    It's hard to imagine any big bike companies doing anything with 29+ or 26+. It would sort of be a de-facto acknowledgement that Surly rules. LOL.

Both 29+ and 26+ are tiny niches in the bike industry so there is no compelling financial motivation to go there for a big company.

We've already seen some of the smaller companies get on board. You can get a Lenz Fat-Moth 29+ FS bike for example. So 29+ will grow in options. Velocity has come out with a new 29er x 45mm rim. So there are some wheel options.

The bottleneck will be tires. Surly will be the only option for now. Making a new tire is expensive so nobody is going to jump on that grenade until the numbers justify it.

We've got two 29+ tires now. I can live with that. Hopefully we'll one more next season.

The 26+ tire won't fit in most 650B frames. I'm not sure we'll see a big rush to support it from smaller bike companies when a 650B wheel/tire gets you to the same place and if you want really chubby you'll just go 29+.

26+ will probably be a Surly only innovation.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    Besides the Knard (29+) in the 2 casing options, what is this other tire you speak of, vikb? The rocky terrain and my tonnage is proving to be tough on my Knards. I have punched 3 different holes into my tires that Stans by itself, could not seal. I had to use tire plugs to get them to seal.
    Big, strong, rock crushing, IPA drinking, big hit bike rider!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaMtnBkr View Post
    Besides the Knard (29+) in the 2 casing options, what is this other tire you speak of, vikb? The rocky terrain and my tonnage is proving to be tough on my Knards. I have punched 3 different holes into my tires that Stans by itself, could not seal. I had to use tire plugs to get them to seal.

The casing could quite likely be the same as the Knard so I'm not sure it will solve your problem.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    Thanks for the info! I was curious about the Dirt Wizard. Sounds like I'll be waiting a while for a more durable tire for our area.
    Big, strong, rock crushing, IPA drinking, big hit bike rider!

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    That's pretty funny, their etrto's are backwards on that sheet.

If the 26" heavy duty casing actually weighs in under three pounds I'll be happy...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    We've already seen some of the smaller companies get on board. You can get a Lenz Fat-Moth 29+ FS bike for example.
    I did not know that. If I had the money I would love to see if Devin would build me a single speed Fat Milk Money Behemoth. In other words, a 5 inch travel single speed full suspension 29er+. That would be cool as hell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    That's pretty funny, their etrto's are backwards on that sheet.

If the 26" heavy duty casing actually weighs in under three pounds I'll be happy...
    The spec for the 26" 27TPI DW is 2.36lbs so even with some variation it would be hard to imagine it going over 3lbs.

BTW - my friend was running a 27TPI Knard and a small stick punctured the sidewall without any trouble....I wouldn't call any of these 26+ or 29+ tires heavy duty. To keep the weight reasonable they are not crazy burly.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Abby Normal
    If enough people start buying 26 / 29+ bikes and bit, you can bet that the Big Boys will jump on the bandwagon (like Specialized coming out with their own fatbike for instance). Don't see it happening anytime soon though.

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    The spec for the 26" 27TPI DW is 2.36lbs so even with some variation it would be hard to imagine it going over 3lbs.

BTW - my friend was running a 27TPI Knard and a small stick punctured the sidewall without any trouble....I wouldn't call any of these 26+ or 29+ tires heavy duty. To keep the weight reasonable they are not crazy burly.
    Good to know. Couple threads mention knard weights varying from 700 to 950 or so--I'd think you're right about where production weights will fall.

On any of those Surly tires, they do have a heck of a lot of casing for the weight.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    Used to be a slew of huge 26" tires out there--luckily I bought a bunch of them and still have a good supply. It's a blast attempting to wash out the front end with a three inch tire. (I usually have to cheat and use the brake )

The real problem to me is the Instigator style rear--not many reasonably light but durable 26x2.5-2.75's out there... hoping the Dirt Wizard will fit that bill.
    What bike(s)/fork(s) do you use them on? Which front tires give you the most traction/forgiveness?

Thanks.

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    My favorite on the front of the Instigator is still the Hutchinson Octopus 26x2.8. Still pretty grippy/compliant for a two ply, UST, and burly, but well over three pounds. Last time I found some was at least a few years ago.

Still think the Arrow/Duros are the best tire if you shred tires. I think they're still around--IIRC they were a fave of some of the muni types. Over four pounds.

Other rather obvious thing is, both of these are great for traction and control, but not so great for speed...

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    Oh, almost forgot--Arrow names were "Savage", and "Prime Wide", I believe they were both rebrands of the Duro "Leopard". 26x3.0

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    And a Pugsley with Dirt Wizard 26+ could it be interesting? Maybe with a front fork? What do you think about that?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatalpine View Post
    And a Pugsley with Dirt Wizard 26+ could it be interesting? Maybe with a front fork? What do you think about that?
    You'll have to see what the OD of a 26+ tire is compared to a 4" tire and figure out if the lowered BB is an issue for you.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com