I Ride for Donuts

Will the Knard 29x3.0 tire fit on my Ogre frame/fork?

Looking at the Krampus reminds me that I can't afford another bike...but I'm wondering about cramming those tires on the Ogre. Think they'd fit?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member

mtbr member
    From the Surly blog:8. What works with what and where?

As we've alluded to in various other spots, you can do lots of things with your tinker gene and the Krampus bits. If you run a Karate Monkey or Ogre now, you can run a full on Krampus front wheel all up in there. You can run a Rabbit Hole (more on her tomorrow by the way) rim on the rear end of your Karate Monkey with a 2.4" tire. You can get a Krampus frameset and swap your 29er parts over onto it and go nuts. Tomorrow's blog will go into more details on tire and rim combo measurements, then you can get out your slide rule and figure out if something will work on your rig.

I Ride for Donuts
    Cool. I did have a very tight fit getting my Big Apples past the brake bosses on the fork, so I'd imagine that will be an issue. Hadn't thought of that until I read the thread mattbryant linked to (thanks by the way...I overlooked that I guess).

I'm curious about the rear fitting in the Ogre frame... fatties fit fine, but how fat is too fat of a fatty?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    well, my 1x1 fit 3" gazzaloddis on 40mm rims (and apparently fits them on 65mm marges)
    assuming surly used the same factor when deciding on tire clearance, just an upsized 29er calcutaion... should fit but only just!
    that said, the 1x1 has a straight seat tube, don't know how the kinked KM seat tube would affect things
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Anybody consider:
    Replacing the original Ogre track ends with the long Paragon sliding dropouts? The goal is to increase chainstay length enough to permit the Knard/Rabbithole combination for the Ogre frame. Anyone think this will work?