wants a taco

Will I regret this?

I have both a nice full suspension mtb and a Troll. I have probably rode my Troll on the trail 10-1 to the Trance. I am seriously considering moving the nicer parts over to the troll and selling off the remaining bits.

Common knowledge would say full squish is better offroad than a 26in hardtail but I always seem to ride hardtails and rigid bikes over full squish, even when I had a cheapy rigid SS that is nearly all I mountain biked on all year, including a 12 hour solo race.

Has anyone ever done something similar? I am mostly worried about sellers remorse but I have gone months in a row without riding the Trance and reaching for my Troll instead.

Just so you know the Trance does fit great so that is not the problem.
    Just another cycling blog...
    The Long Way Home

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Follow your gut

There's no right or wrong here, just listen to that inner voice and follow your gut.

I still ride my 1999 1x1 daily even after I owned a bike shop and have several 'nicer' bikes in the stable. I won't try to explain it. It's just the bike I always grab,,,

Pat

mtbr member
    Nothing wrong with that at all. I did the same thing a couple of years ago - I had built a nice full suspension ride with hand-picked parts. It was great. Turned out I really prefer riding hardtails, so I parted out the FS and stick to hardtails with and without front suspension. Works for me!

Good luck on your decision.

wants a taco
    Quote Originally Posted by patirwin View Post
    There's no right or wrong here, just listen to that inner voice and follow your gut.

I still ride my 1999 1x1 daily even after I owned a bike shop and have several 'nicer' bikes in the stable. I won't try to explain it. It's just the bike I always grab,,,

Pat
    Sounds like exactly where I am at.

Thanks for justifying the unexplainable
    The Long Way Home

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    My 1x1 has been the constant companion on my bike adventures for as long as I have owned it. I've changed it into so many configurations I have lost count.
    I've commited bike adultery with a bunch of "nicer" bikes. The Yeti, Intense, Wojcik, Gunnar and others have gone by the wayside.

The 1x1 keeps taking me back.

wants a taco
    Sounds like me, I think the Troll is getting the King wheels, nicer drivetrain and possibly the Talas (although I might wait till after winter, I kind of enjoy riding it rigid).

Glad to see there are others out there who have done it with no regrets.
    The Long Way Home

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have been riding FS for 12 years and bought a new Pivot Mach 4 in July 2011. I had had an itch to try SS for awhile and bought a KM in November 2011. I have ridden the Pivot 3 or 4 times since buying the KM. I debated selling the Pivot for 2 months and finally listened to my gut and put it on CL and MTBR yesterday. Good luck with your decision.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    Common knowledge would say full squish is better offroad than a 26in hardtail but I always seem to ride hardtails and rigid bikes over full squish, even when I had a cheapy rigid SS that is nearly all I mountain biked on all year, including a 12 hour solo race.

Has anyone ever done something similar?
    They are your bikes. Ride what you enjoy the most.

Personally I love my FS bike and if I had to choose would sell my rigid and hardtail MTBs first, but that's a personal choice.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I just sold my 2011 Stumpjumper last month because I only ride my 1x1. I put more miles on the 1x1 in the first half of the season than the Stumpjumper in an entire year. Just made sense to me.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    They are your bikes. Ride what you enjoy the most.

Personally I love my FS bike and if I had to choose would sell my rigid and hardtail MTBs first, but that's a personal choice.
    X2. If SS Works best for the riding you do most, put the good parts on it. If you need the money sell the FS bike, if not, keep it! you never know when it may be the better option.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    I have both a nice full suspension mtb and a Troll. I have probably rode my Troll on the trail 10-1 to the Trance. I am seriously considering moving the nicer parts over to the troll and selling off the remaining bits.
    Hang the nice parts on the Troll, but keep the Trance for awhile in case your tastes shift back towards suspension. Nothing wrong with having two bikes and keeping your open open.

Been riding 26er rigid all season myself. Built it using a Surly Instigator fork. Don't ask me why, and my friends are bemused, but that's the bike I've been reaching for this season.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I rode SS just about exclusively for ~2 yrs and then went back to mixing them all up. Glad I didn't ditch everything that was multigeared during that span. My main SS I switch back and forth between SS and 1x7.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Boy, this sounds familiar. My stable: '05 Kona Coiler D-Lux, '10 Trek Fuel Ex 9.8, '11 Troll, and '12 Pugsley. The Troll and Pugsley are getting the most riding this year of all. Not as much trail riding this year though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Riding my rigid Troll in the mountains has taught me something. It absolutely 100% is not the bike that is the limiting factor when I go mountain bike riding, it's me. I can't ride a Troll to it's full capabilities, never mind the latest high tech machines, they are worlds better than I am.

I want to master the trail on simple bike like a Troll or KM or , well you know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    Riding my rigid Troll in the mountains has taught me something. It absolutely 100% is not the bike that is the limiting factor when I go mountain bike riding, it's me. I can't ride a Troll to it's full capabilities, never mind the latest high tech machines, they are worlds better than I am.

I want to master the trail on simple bike like a Troll or KM or , well you know.
    So do I. I ride my KM for three years now - and often thought that I cannot ride more difficult trails in the future. Some months later I suddenly improve my riding capabilities and can do steeper and more difficult parts still on the bike. I suppose that the next years will bring some more positive surprises. I never will ride a suspension bike - hooray!

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Ride the bike you enjoy most. I wouldn't necessarily sell the Trance unless you need to though. You may develop a desire for it in the future.

I haven't owned a full suss in 4 years. I gave my last one up to ride rigid bikes. I have since only had one bike with a suspension fork, which is my 2011 X-Cal. I ride that and my rigid Karate Monkey now. I've been riding the KM more lately, mostly because it's a bit more comfortable "fit" wise. If I had to sell one, it would be a tough choice, even though I never intended on keeping both.

I definitely have a hankering for a 26" full suss again. I would love to have my old heckler back. Basically, I've learned over time that it's nice to have different bikes to ride, because you will probably end up missing the ones you sell at some point down the road. The full sussers can be a bit over kill at times, but they are so nice to have in certain situations. Just my take on it.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    I never will ride a suspension bike - hooray!
    This would be a mistake. You'll do yourself a favor, have more fun and greatly broaden your riding skill and trail options if you take the approach that some bikes work in some spots, some work best in others. Ride everything and all terrain styles if you get a chance. They all teach us something.

- Rob
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    I replaced an all-mountain full-suspension bike with a rigid hardtail and have never regretted it for a second. I've had several rigid bikes since, and one hardtail with front suspension, which was quickly replaced by another rigid bike.

If you ride well, you can do nearly everything reasonable to do on a mountain bike without suspension, and a rigid ride is going to be more efficient 90% of the time. The simplicity and predictability are invaluable.

There's a reason you are choosing your Troll. Listen to your heart...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think you should haul both bikes out to your favorite trail and run a loop on the Trance and run a loop on the Troll and reevaluate. If the Trance leaves you cold, than you know you know what to do. On the otherhand, if you're like "hey, that was fun. A little squish is nice once in a while" - than maybe keep it.

wants a taco
    The deed is done, I have most of the Trance parts sold and the nice wheels/derailleurs are on the Troll, so far no regrets.
    The Long Way Home