mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Will a 54cm LHT work for me?

I'm building up a new touring bike and I want to go with 26" wheels. I ride a 56cm in a typical 700c road frame, I have an 87.5 cm inseam and ride with a saddle ht of 77 cm center of crankset to top of saddle. On my current road bike I have a reach from nose of saddle to bars of 55 cm (66 cm horizontal from center of seat post to center of bars) and about 9 cm of bar drop. For touring I'd probably want more like 4 cm of drop. Looking at Bike CAD, it appears that I might be able to get all these dimensions on a 54cm LHT.

Has anyone with my approximate dimensions ever built up a 54cm for touring? If so, how did it work?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My 54cm LHT goes ~71cm center crank to top of saddle, ~61cm center of seatpost to center of bars. I could believe that pushing the saddle top up another 6 cm would introduce several cm to the reach to bar, and a not too crazily long stem would make up the remainder. My pants have a 76cm inseam, and I doubt I'd be able to handle a bike the size you describe too gracefully. But it should be possible. Love the 26x2.0s, by the way. Also love the complete lack of anything approaching a hint of toe overlap w/ the long headtube of the 54.

Lighten up.
    I'm 5'8" and I've used a fancy schmancy digital/video bike sizer tool at a local bike shop. The result? 54" LHT. For what that's worth.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I've finished putting parts together to the point where the bike can be ridden. As assembled now, there's 3cm of bar drop and the reach is about 2cm less than my road bike which is set up with 9cm of bar drop. The fit feels pretty good for long range touring. I could get the bars about level by flipping the stem, or I could remove a few spacers and get the same bar position with the stem flipped. For now, I've elected not to cut the steerer and go with the setup you see. My impression after my first ride is that the bike is very smooth and stable and that I should be able to crank out some big touring miles on it. The 54cm Surly can definitely be made to fit a 6ft tall rider. Maybe I'll try a three day trip next weekend if I get the remainder of the parts together in time. Here's a components list for what you see now:

Cranks: Sugino XD600 48-36-26
    BB: Tange 113mm x 68
    Pedals: Shimano PD-M540 which came off my old touring bike
    Chain: SRAM PC 971
    Cassette: SRAM PG-950 11-32...I'd really like a 12-30 but couldn't find one cheap.
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano RD-M751 on closeout from Universal
    Front Derailleur: Shimano FD-3304 Sora...works fine with the STI shifters/Sugino Crankset
    Seatpost: Ritchey Comp 400mm, which is way too long
    Clamp: Surly, came with the frame
    Saddle: Fizik Rondine, a nice new touring saddle
    Headset: Cane Creek S1
    Wheels: Deore XT 36 hole hubs laced to Mavic 721 rims...BOMBPROOF
    Tires: Continental Sport Contact slicks, 26x1.6" on sale at Bike Tires Direct
    Stem: An old Forte 100mm oversize I had in my junk box
    Bars: Deda Magic, used from eBay for $6.00 plus shipping
    Shifters: Shimano 105 9-speed, used from eBay for $115
    Cables/housing: Jagwire Pro
    Brakes: Avid Shorty 4
    Bar tape: Profile Gel Shock
    Bottles and cages: generic from the LBS

Still to go: fenders, lights, racks, kickstand
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sweet! I like the greenfield rear triangle kickstand.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I like the Greenfield rear triangle kickstand too. Unfortunately it won't work because of the interference of the spoke holder on the left chainstay. I settled on a plain old Greenfield center mount and it works fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I clamped my rear-triangle kickstand on over the spoke holder. Close enough. I haven't had to loc-tite it yet, so it hasn't been wiggling loose. I even used the plastic frame protector thingies.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I just ordered a LHT in 54cm. Im using this post to check the dimensions