Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: why surly?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

why surly?

whats the fascination with surly? i see a ton of people worshiping them.. why are they so desirable?

i am really asking, not trying to start a war..

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Surly you can't be serious?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    On the one hand, they're inexpensive, versatile, and durable.

On the other hand, they're funky, innovative, and just plain fun.

I think those qualities speak to a lot of people, myself included.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thoroughly though out designs that are versatile and affordable. Being affordable allows me the luxury of owning multiple bikes designed for different purposes.

undercover brother
    I'm a recent Pug owner and the bike is a blast. Surly doesn't make super bikes, but they make affordable, bombproof, fun bikes. I have not been able to contain my excitement since I got my Pug.

No suspension = reliability, challenge, and simplicity.

mtbr member
    Tangaroo said it...they make fun bikes. I've never owned a bike that I've had as much fun riding as my 1x1. I'm planning on boosting my amount of Surly's by possibly 2 bikes this year If you want something affordable, versatile and bombproof and aren't a weight weenie, then just try one and see how you like it.

ecooke21- what bike are you thinking about getting?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

surly in winter and summer

If you like to ride winter snowmobile trails, Surly Pugsley's wide tires are the ticket. If you ride the sandy trails of Moab, the Pugsley rocks.

mtbr member
    Another point to make is that Surly offers unique bikes. They've set many milestones and precedents in the bike world. I think their uniqueness of their company in general (website, bikes, staff) brings a certain uniqueness out of it's riders. Doesn't matter whether you're riding a 29'er or 26'er, you're riding, and that's what's important.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You know, this question pops up every once in a while. For me, it really boils down to the fact that Surly's are common sense bicycles for everyday people like me. For like 99% of the riding that normal people do (who aren't racing), good quality 4130 steel tubes and nice fat tires are all you need. Not to light, not too heavy. Smooths out the bumps in the road or the trail. For offroad, get bigger fatter tires - 26er, 29er, 29+, Pugs, Moonlander. The principle is the same. Yet, the bike industry is out there selling people the latest racing technology or else pushing cheap aluminum bikes with cheap crappy suspension forks that scream "me too". Surly is really a repudiation of the gimmickiness and trendiness that kind of pervades the bike industry and is just a breath of fresh air. Just gimme steel and fat tires. Other brands do it too - Soma, Rivendell, Rawlands, Gunnar, Singular, etc. All purveyors of bikes I would love to own. But Surly's are generally less expensive and more readily available, both new and used. So its Surly's that I own.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    +1 everything that's already been said. I bought a KM a year ago to try SS on the local singletrack and to ride rails to trails with my young boys. My Pivot Mach 4 has collected dust since then. The KM is simple, well built, affordable, and a blast to ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    You know, this question pops up every once in a while. For me, it really boils down to the fact that Surly's are common sense bicycles for everyday people like me. For like 99% of the riding that normal people do (who aren't racing), good quality 4130 steel tubes and nice fat tires are all you need. Not to light, not too heavy. Smooths out the bumps in the road or the trail. For offroad, get bigger fatter tires - 26er, 29er, 29+, Pugs, Moonlander. The principle is the same. Yet, the bike industry is out there selling people the latest racing technology or else pushing cheap aluminum bikes with cheap crappy suspension forks that scream "me too". Surly is really a repudiation of the gimmickiness and trendiness that kind of pervades the bike industry and is just a breath of fresh air. Just gimme steel and fat tires. Other brands do it too - Soma, Rivendell, Rawlands, Gunnar, Singular, etc. All purveyors of bikes I would love to own. But Surly's are generally less expensive and more readily available, both new and used. So its Surly's that I own.
    Word!

If you are tired about the "Illusion of New" presented in the print magazines and just want to ride "the simple" way, Surly is a good choice. Remember: the biggest problem often sits *on* the bike, so its better to improve the riders capacities than buying the latest bike every few years.

Its much more satisfying to ride difficult things with a simple bike like a Surly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Fair question. I was riding a aluminum trek for about 8 years and had had it with getting beat up. I went the aluminum route because at 6 foot 200 lbs the old steel schwinn prelude was not getting it done. When I decided to go steel again I had not intention of coming any where close to a hill so the stiffness of the frame didn't matter anymore, it became all about comfort. I found the surly pacer to meet the needs I had and it is a great bike. By the way I'm now about 220 and losing weight but I'm riding hills on it with no bb flex issues at all. Like the surly so much I'm looking at getting either a CC or Long Haul Trucker in the spring.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    A Surly is like a nice tasty grass fed steak without the marketing department's sizzle and they're steel. Vegetarians insert your own Surly analogy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    First real mountain bike was a Specialized Stumpjumper (purchased two years ago). When I decided I wanted a bike to cruise around on, ride to the park or school with my kid, etc., I was thinking cargo bike. There's only a couple of choices there, Kona Ute or Surly Big Dummy - that, and the ridiculousness of the Pugsley, attracted my attention to Surly. Then I saw the Ogre. I can put racks and panniers on there to haul stuff AND it can do trail duty? Sold. Built it as a single speed, the anti-Stumpjumper if you will. Put good knobbies on it so I could ride it on the trail when the Stumpjumper was out of commission. Now there are times when I'd rather ride the Ogre on the trail.

That's a long answer for a short question. Here's the short answer: fun, simple, well-built, relatively inexpensive. And sometimes ridiculous. But if I lived where it snowed, I would darn sure have a Pugs or Moonlander in the stable.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Everyone has pretty much nailed it so far. Surly designs simple, steel, versatile bikes that ride well. They aren't the only company doing it, but they are the most affordable and readily available to my knowledge. They don't follow industry trends but they make solid products and design bikes to be fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecooke21 View Post
    whats the fascination with surly? i see a ton of people worshiping them.. why are they so desirable?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My 1x1 is lemon lime green, that color is awesome. Isn't that reason enough?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    A Surly is like a nice tasty grass fed steak without the marketing department's sizzle and they're steel. Vegetarians insert your own Surly analogy.
    Just a good ol' milk chocolate bar. No fancy shape, no peanut, caramel non sense. Just pure chocolatey goodness in square. I'm not a vegetarian though.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have had a Surly Troll now for a few months.
    I couldn't be happier with my purchase.
    It is worth every dollar and then some.

It's a worry free bike that you can ride with great confidence.
    It's well thought out and designed by people that are in the know and actually ride bikes.

It is so versatile unlike any other bike.
    You can make it into any kind of bike you want to suit your needs and purpose.

It's a strong reliable bike.
    Just buy one and fall in love with it.
    It likes you back if you ride it rough and tumble, no prissy stuff allowed.

Forget about all the meaningless rhetoric marketing.
    Just buy one and get happy.
    This many more than satisfied surly owners with no complaints should tell
    you something.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Another reason that Surly has such a good rep is that the bikes are meant to be tinkered with and allow the owner to build them into whatever they want. I have two mountain bikes - a Surly KM and a Trek X-Cal. The Trek is a solid bike that I have hardly changed at all since buying it. It was designed to be a racy hardtail and nothing else, and it does that well. The KM on the other hand, has seen 6 or 7 different builds, and has done everything for trail riding to commuting to long road rides. I think it does best as an off road bike but I've ridden it off road as a fixed gear, SS, 3x9 and 1x9. It evolves as I decide to try different things. I don't see myself changing it much in the future, but I've had fun building and re building it. It's a totally different beast than my other bike with a lot more soul.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    I chime in with my 0.02 cents to....
    I believe that everyone has pretty much said why Surly is so desired and has so much loyal support.
    But basically it is the product.
    Simple put they found a niche in the industry that the customer wants that not a lot of other company do. They listen to their customers and they them selves ride, so they don't loose touch with what works. The frames are well made, simple, versatile, and just look like they want to be taken out and ridden.

I just bought a Troll a few months ago (my first Surly) and was impressed with the frame from the start. Built up the bike to how I liked it and never have I once regretted buying it. In fact my next bike might be a Pug????? They look sooo cool!
    I have 2 full suspension Turner bikes that I love to ride and in my opinion the Surly is not my second choice to those 2. Each bike has a purpose but in my opinion the Surly is one of the nicest bikes I got in my stable.
    I just wish I had more time to ride them more........that is another story!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by keevohn View Post
    On the one hand, they're inexpensive, versatile, and durable.

On the other hand, they're funky, innovative, and just plain fun.

I think those qualities speak to a lot of people, myself included.
    Well said, sums it up well. Had a 'cross-check for years and wish I could afford to add a few more to the quiver.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    That's the bad part about Surly, they're all so cool you want one of each.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    3-4 months ago I didn't know anything about Surly bikes.

I wanted a utility bike that I could ride on the street and trail, and maybe do some bikepacking.

In researching my options, it quickly became clear that Surly and Salsa have a lot to offer in this category, and have almost no company from the competition.

Their bikes are also very reasonably priced and well designed.

R

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Never rode a salsa only the surly and will never get any other brand. In my opinion surly is the best.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast