mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Why such a small Cross Check Headtube...

In the process of finally building up my Cross Check. Getting the seat height and setback went fine, really close to my old road bike, but I am shocked to see how many spacers I have to use on the headset. Compared to my specialized bike it just seems wrong. but everyone on here seems to have like 40mm++ of pacers, is there a reason why they designed this bike with such a short headtube?

Compact frames don't seem to use half of these spacers to get the handle bar level with the seat. Really nice frame though, its been fun building it up.

mtbr member
    Maybe for the versatility? I've seen a handful of setups without the enormous stack of spacers, maybe Surly wanted to leave it open ended so people could run ultra-low bars....

That said, I agree with you. I have 40mm+ of spacers under my stem to get it to a comfortable position. A slightly longer head tube wouldn't hurt at all.

mtbr member
    I think it's a conspiracy between Surly and the spacer industry.
    WTB: Specialized AWOL XL, Salsa Fargo gen 2 XL, Salsa El Mariachi 2014+ XL
    My blog about bikes and playgrounds.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Longer fork = shorter headtube, you want a long headtube get a LHT. The CC was designed for cylocross, the LHT was designed for touring.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up
    Longer fork = shorter headtube, you want a long headtube get a LHT. The CC was designed for cylocross, the LHT was designed for touring.
    Word. My 'cross-check is set up pretty agressively, and the only reason I've got spacers under the stem is to make room for the front brake cable hanger. I used to run a shorter stem and more spacers, but it felt too relaxed, so I stretched it out a bit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    So its common in cyclo cross to have a lot of spacers?

I went with the CC to have an all around commuter/ part time tourer/ posible cros bike. The LHT didn't seem to fit all those purposes. Im OK with spacers now that I see everyone else with them, it jut look odd at first.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Depends. I've only got a 10mm spacer and the hanger (maybe 5mm) below the stem. I wouldn't consider it a lot...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The Cross Check is a cyclocross bike and designed to have a more aggressive geometry. From the pics I have seen here and on other websites, it appears most people are not using the frame for what it was intended for. I have to wonder what the stats show of people who use the CC as a "do it all" type comfort bike versus those that actually use it for cyclocross. I am not into cyclocross, but is the CC a popular choice for cyclocross riders? Seems to be a rather heavy for racing, but again, I know nothing about the sport.

The other question is why are people buying the CC versus the LHT if they aren't using the bike for cyclocross? Why aren't they buying the LHT? Instead, it seems people are buying the CC and using a bunch of headtube spacers to adjust the geometry. Seems the neither the LHT nor the CC "fit" what many people are looking for if you ask me.

Personally I think Surly needs to come out with a more relaxed version of the CC, a taller headtube, a sloping style downtube, a lower BB and disk brake tabs. Price it a couple hundred less than the Salsa Vaya like the rest of their frames, they would have a seriously nice selling bike.
    Last edited by Terry66; 04-25-2011 at 08:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm not sure where I read it (somewhere on the surly blog?) but it was explained that the headtube is short because of the fork's vertical tire clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry66
    Personally I think Surly needs to come out with a more relaxed version of the CC, a longer headtube, a sloping style downtube, a lower BB and disk brake tabs. Price it a couple hundred less than the Salsa Vaya like the rest of their frames, they would have a seriously nice selling bike.
    I like the way you think. I would want one. The other option that I was looking at was this: Handsome Devil. Made by maxway, same tire clearance as CC, lower bb, taller ht, and A BRAKE CABLE BRIDGE!

I test rode a devil and I liked the way it handled compared to the CC, a bit more lively.
    Last edited by McFlyMpls; 05-15-2011 at 09:25 AM.

@adelorenzo
    Mine has zero spacers... It gets my bars low enough (barely) with a 130mm 0-degree stem.

Point is, everybody is different, as long as you can get it where you need it why worry too much?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I would not call this aggressive cyclo cross bike

looks like a do it all bike to me. I also wish the head tube was taller

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry66
    The Cross Check is a cyclocross bike and designed to have a more aggressive geometry. From the pics I have seen here and on other websites, it appears most people are not using the frame for what it was intended for. I have to wonder what the stats show of people who use the CC as a "do it all" type comfort bike versus those that actually use it for cyclocross. I am not into cyclocross, but is the CC a popular choice for cyclocross riders? Seems to be a rather heavy for racing, but again, I know nothing about the sport.

The other question is why are people buying the CC versus the LHT if they aren't using the bike for cyclocross? Why aren't they buying the LHT? Instead, it seems people are buying the CC and using a bunch of headtube spacers to adjust the geometry. Seems the neither the LHT nor the CC "fit" what many people are looking for if you ask me.

Personally I think Surly needs to come out with a more relaxed version of the CC, a taller headtube, a sloping style downtube, a lower BB and disk brake tabs. Price it a couple hundred less than the Salsa Vaya like the rest of their frames, they would have a seriously nice selling bike.
    Blah blah... I love mine as it is. If I want it more agressive, I can do that. If I want it more relaxed, I can do that too. It's a bit heavy to race on, but people certainly do race them. If you want a sloping geometry with disc brakes, get a Vaya, they're owned by the same company anyway.

mtbr member
    What's funny, is from this stock photo, I would say that amount of seatpost extension indicates the frame is a size or two too small for the rider. You'd think they would get their own bikes right.

That being said, I certainly wouldn't mind more headtube and less seat tube on my CC, but I'm not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by opnykanen
    I would not call this aggressive cyclo cross bike

looks like a do it all bike to me. I also wish the head tube was taller

mtbr member
    ^yup. This picture really bugs me, and it's been there for years.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by willapajames
    Blah blah... I love mine as it is. If I want it more agressive, I can do that. If I want it more relaxed, I can do that too. It's a bit heavy to race on, but people certainly do race them. If you want a sloping geometry with disc brakes, get a Vaya, they're owned by the same company anyway.
    Actually I do have a Vaya and a CC. Both are awesome bikes. Just saying that "most" CC owners are running a big stack of spacers. Give the customers what they seem to want. Seems it would be a huge seller.
    Last edited by Terry66; 04-26-2011 at 08:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Lucky you for having both! Seems like the CC is a pretty good seller already. Surly seems to be pretty anti-discs for any of their road bikes, so I wouldn't expect it any time soon. I've got quite a lot of seatpost sticking out of my CC too, but it's the biggest size they make and I'm a tall dude (6'5" riding a 62cm).

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by willapajames
    Lucky you for having both! Seems like the CC is a pretty good seller already. Surly seems to be pretty anti-discs for any of their road bikes, so I wouldn't expect it any time soon. I've got quite a lot of seatpost sticking out of my CC too, but it's the biggest size they make and I'm a tall dude (6'5" riding a 62cm).
    Yeah, I suppose the CC is a pretty good seller and with good reason. Maybe a new frame completely?

mtbr member
    Or just buy a Soma Doublecross disc version. It has basically everything you've asked for (but no SS capability)