mtbr member

Why aren't 135mm forks more popular on 26" SS bikes?

I've never seen it done before, but I've always wanted to do it. If my 1x1 didn't have a suspension fork I'd be running a very different setup. 135mm Pugsley fork with a Surly fixed hub front wheel and Surly freewheel hub rear wheel. Same size disc rotors and cog/freewheel so a wheel swap would be painless. There's numerous times when I'm riding my SS and have an urge to do a lap fixed or vice versa, but I can't because they are two different bikes. Does anybody else think this would be a fun idea? I see all the benefits of having a second "rear" wheel on the front for Pugsleys, why not Trolls or 1x1s? It doesn't even have to be a Surly..really just about any 26" rigid bike would work as long as the AC length of the Pugs fork cooperates with the frame.

A purple 650b Troll setup like this sounds killer!
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sure i have seen photos in the past of that done.

Sure some of gone for a custom fork, but most would just use a Pug fork or other brand, and there are more fatbikes nowdays so a bit more choice in aftermarket rigid forks.

I suppose it's just a small element of people that want it and they can do it fairly easy anyway.

Not quite the same thing but similar train of thought, i up till now have run track hub wheel set on my KM so rim brakes, run a freewheel and also a fixed sprocket in case the freewheel decides to die i can still ride home, so far haven't needed it, will miss it when i get a proper 29er wheelset this year on a freehub hub with disc only rims.

Thinking back, current freewheel has gone wrong once due to grease in a warm climate (south of UK) then going tacky when up in Scotland (much cooler climate), and had one freehub lock up to fixed and another let go to no drive. Then again losing drive here means a bit of a walk, but we don't have to worry about being killed to death by Bears or eaten by Wolves, herds of cows can get a bit over curious and chase you, but your never too far from help or help getting to you.
    If i ever get round to bikepacking will most likely run v-brake and rear track hub for the dual drive choice if freewheel dies in action.

mtbr member
    A bike with V brakes and it's easy to flip flop your back wheel, but i ride fixed with a front disc brake only as I personally just bolt a Tomi cog on to the disc mount.
    Disclaimer:I work in a Bike Shop.http://www.northcentralcyclery.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    I've never seen it done before, but I've always wanted to do it. If my 1x1 didn't have a suspension fork I'd be running a very different setup. 135mm Pugsley fork with a Surly fixed hub front wheel and Surly freewheel hub rear wheel. Same size disc rotors and cog/freewheel so a wheel swap would be painless. There's numerous times when I'm riding my SS and have an urge to do a lap fixed or vice versa, but I can't because they are two different bikes. Does anybody else think this would be a fun idea? I see all the benefits of having a second "rear" wheel on the front for Pugsleys, why not Trolls or 1x1s? It doesn't even have to be a Surly..really just about any 26" rigid bike would work as long as the AC length of the Pugs fork cooperates with the frame.

A Black 650b 1x1 setup like this sounds killer!
    Post pics here when you've completed the conversion.

mtbr member
    It has crossed my mind
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Robbed a photo from the surly blog

Riding river bottoms on a 1x1 from september last year.

1x1 with a Moonlander fork and fixed cog/disc brake rear hub/front wheel.

There are other photos out there somewhere. I would have to check out the Axle to crown measurements but that might be doable on a KM as well, although for the cost involved i will stay with my rim brakes and double fixed track hub.
    Dosen't hurt to explore these ideas.
    Watched one of the Alaskan bikepacking and rafting films last year, one of the Pugs was running low fixed gear and no brakes, may also have had a freewheel in the mix too, set up chosen as no hills and as simple a set up with bail out choice's if the chain snaps and gets cut and shut shorter, 2 wheels both with 2 sprocket sizes, so 4 chances if something fails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why aren't 135mm forks more popular on 26" SS bikes?-img_0526_3_1.jpg