mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Who has a Jones Bar on their Cross Check?

I'm thinking of throwing on some Jones Bars on my Cross Check. It's on the larger side for me. Will the Jones bar help me out shortening up the reach or it works out the same as drops reach wise?
    What stem length is preferred?

Pics please!

mtbr member
    I put a 660mm Jones bar clone on my Specialized AWOL, specifically to give me less reach to realize an upright position to ease back pain caused by degenerative disc disorder. Basically lower back pain, or "a bad back."

I retained the relatively short AWOL stem, and the reach is "better" than it was with the drop bars, but I remain unhappy with the stack. My wrists are now supporting a lot of weight and they get a little painful. I wanted to order a Velo Orange Cigne LD stem, so I could get my back straight and pull some weight off my wrists, but they are currently unavailable.

I have a Humpert "Ergotech" High Charisma stem on order at the moment and I am hopeful that it will raise the bars sufficiently to allow me to dial them for a perfectly upright position to take stress of my lower back and wrists. I currently have Tioga Powerstud 6 Bar ends on those bars, but I will probably remove them when the new stem arrives.

Who has a Jones Bar on their Cross Check?-20161112_152827-2304x1296.jpgWho has a Jones Bar on their Cross Check?-20161112_152928-2304x1296.jpgWho has a Jones Bar on their Cross Check?-20161112_153202-2304x1296.jpg

mtbr member
    I have a Jones 710 bend bar on my Crosscheck . I flipped them so they have a slight drop. Love this set up. And yes it should shorten your reach.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I too wanted to tighten up my cockpit a bit on my CC, and got my stem as short as I felt I could go and still handle properly (90mm). I first tried an FSA Metropolis bar which has similar sweep as the Jones, around 45mm (but was much cheaper than the Jones and I didn't think I needed the extra hand positions so much). Turned out that felt like TOO much sweep for me(also isn't technically rated for off-road). I then got a Salsa Bend bar 2 and that one is definitely set up to retain your hand position the way it sweeps forward before sweeping back, so that didn't work. The sweet spot for me was the Origin 8 Pro-Torq Space Off-Road. At 35mm backsweep a little less sweep than the Jones or FSA, and doesn't sweep overly forward first--brought my hands back just right.

Origin8 Pro-Torq Space Off Road, Mountain Riser, Black, Alloy