Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: White 1x1?

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    141

    White 1x1?

    What year were the white models? A local seller has a 1x1 for $350. Looks to be a bit older, but $350 is pretty cheap. I want to turn it into a cheap commuter/beach cruiser. It has a suspension fork, figure I'll swap it for a rigid fork. From the pics I can't tell if it has rear brazeons for a rack. Do all years have rear brazeons? Anything I should look out for?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: htnswches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    45
    Question: Wouldn't another $100 get you a brand new one? Price seems high to me. Bottom bracket has a serial number, that should tell you the age. Go to the Surly FAQ's sections, there's a formula to figure out the manufacture date via serial number. Good luck
    On-one 456 "Cocoa"
    Surly 1X1 "Ginger"

  3. #3
    Stubby-legged
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    770
    none of the 1x1 has rack mounts. Save your cash and buy a Troll. Or better yet a Pugs!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by htnswches View Post
    Question: Wouldn't another $100 get you a brand new one? Price seems high to me. Bottom bracket has a serial number, that should tell you the age. Go to the Surly FAQ's sections, there's a formula to figure out the manufacture date via serial number. Good luck
    It is a complete bike. $450 new would be frame only. I don't have spare parts to build up, so new would cost significantly more as a complete bike.

    I already have a Salsa Vaya and El Mariachi. However, they are too nice for leaving locked up at the store, beach, etc. That is why I was looking at a used 1x1 as a commuter/beach cruiser. I figure less of a thief bait.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    782
    $350 is probably a good price for an older 1x1 in decent condition. Still seems kind of high for just a beater bike, though. Most places old steel MTBs can be had for a $100 or less.

    Anyway if you go with the 1x1, there's a few things I'd look out for having just bought a older Surly myself not too long ago. Be sure there's no frame damage - bends, cracks, etc. A little surface rust is okay, but there shouldn't be crazy rust. Check the components for anything that's going to need replacing right away and factor that into your decision and maybe your offer price. Afterall, its no good to get a used bike cheap, thinking your saving money, and then have to turn around spend another $300 on new wheels, tires, brakes, cranks, etc. The crankset is the one that got me. I didn't check it thoroughly enough when I bought the bike. A few months later I was having chain problems and THEN I noticed that two of the chainrings were jacked up and needed replacing. Cha-ching. Cha-ching. Sometimes people are selling their bikes cheap because it needs a bunch of maintance and they don't want to pay for it. They just want to chuck it and get something new. Just something to be wary of.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slimhazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    $350 is probably a good price for an older 1x1 in decent condition.
    If it has anything resembling decent parts and no serious rust buy it. You can easily get that a month/year from now for a 1x1.

    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    Still seems kind of high for just a beater bike, though. Most places old steel MTBs can be had for a $100 or less.
    Steel beater MTB for $100 maybe, but not a singlespeed, or one with a threadless headset/steerer that can easily swap to a suspension fork.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by slimhazy View Post
    Steel beater MTB for $100 maybe, but not a singlespeed, or one with a threadless headset/steerer that can easily swap to a suspension fork.
    True, but the OP said he was going to swap in a rigid fork to the bike he's looking at, so why does that matter? I just figured that old rigid steel MTBs are pretty much functionally the same as an old 1x1 if all you want is a cheap beater for beach cruising. Same 26" wheels. Same 4130 steel. Anyway, old 1x1's are cool. If I could find one for cheap, I'd snap it up too. You just gotta be careful that that $300 doesn't turn into $500 or more because you gotta replace a bunch of worn out parts to ride the thing.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    141
    I am not sure on the parts. I do know that it is rim brake and not disc. Also, I have met the owner on a couple of rides and he is well known locally and I an avid rider, so I am confident it isn't thrashed. It is just over an hour and a half out to where he lives, so I haven't seen the bike. Since it won't be my main MTB bike, not having disc brakes shouldn't be too big of a deal. I could always add later I suppose.

    I have a CrossCheck that is getting a new owner, so I am familiar with Surly. I wanted a SS for simplicity, so I was looking at 1x1, KM, Troll, and Ogre.

    Here is a pic:




  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sasquatch rides a SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,695
    There are threaded holes for a rack on the dropouts I believe. Since you don't have disc brakes your rack will fit fine. I've even gotten a rack on using an aluminum spacer to get the arm out past the caliper. Go to your LBS and pick up some rubber coated clamps that come with racks (I know my LBS has way too many), you can wrap them around your seatstays up by your seatpost. They are rubber to protect your paint and have a hole in them to attach the rack to. Let me see if I can find a Google pic...if not, I'll take a pic of mine when I get home
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sasquatch rides a SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,695
    These are what I'm talking about:



    Or get one of these that will wrap around either your frame or seatpost and adapt to fit the upper rack mounts. (you can use the 1st pic adapters near your dropouts if your frame does not have a rack mount.)

    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    42
    your better off just getting a Troll since it's a 1x1 with more options

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sasquatch rides a SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,695
    Quote Originally Posted by gyeswho View Post
    your better off just getting a Troll since it's a 1x1 with more options
    You fail to see that OP is looking for an inexpensive beach/cruiser singlespeed bike. He's looking at a complete 1x1 for $350, he's not looking to buy a Troll for nearly 4x as much. He can make a rack fit on the 1x1 just fine.

    From the OP "It is a complete bike. $450 new would be frame only. I don't have spare parts to build up, so new would cost significantly more as a complete bike."
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    You fail to see that OP is looking for an inexpensive beach/cruiser singlespeed bike. He's looking at a complete 1x1 for $350, he's not looking to buy a Troll for nearly 4x as much. He can make a rack fit on the 1x1 just fine.

    From the OP "It is a complete bike. $450 new would be frame only. I don't have spare parts to build up, so new would cost significantly more as a complete bike."
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeThePlanet View Post
    I am not sure on the parts. I do know that it is rim brake and not disc. Also, I have met the owner on a couple of rides and he is well known locally and I an avid rider, so I am confident it isn't thrashed. It is just over an hour and a half out to where he lives, so I haven't seen the bike. Since it won't be my main MTB bike, not having disc brakes shouldn't be too big of a deal. I could always add later I suppose.

    I have a CrossCheck that is getting a new owner, so I am familiar with Surly. I wanted a SS for simplicity, so I was looking at 1x1, KM, Troll, and Ogre.
    he never ruled out a troll, i suggested it only cuz it'd be good for expanding upon later on if he ever wanted to. he can only be locked down with SS on a 1x1, but can do much more on the troll that is a beefed up version of the 1x1. yes it would be more $ up front, but he would probably never be left saying he wanted more out of the frame.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sasquatch rides a SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,695
    You can run gears on a 1x1 no problem. Just need a derailleur hanger.



    I actually thought about going 1x9 on my 1x1 (sounds funny doesn't it?)
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    749
    Not sure if it helps much but my straight top tube 2006 Karate Monkey came with brake posts and disc tabs. It's probably older than that.

    IIRC I looked to buy a 2005 1x1 last fall, white w/ white stickers and v-brake only. Similar to this.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sasquatch rides a SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,695
    I can see in the picture that it does not have disc brake tabs on the frame.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

  17. #17
    NONDURO
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,626
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    You can run gears on a 1x1 no problem. Just need a derailleur hanger.



    I actually thought about going 1x9 on my 1x1 (sounds funny doesn't it?)
    Yep. Origin-8 derailleur hanger. Worked great when I had my 1x1 set up as a pretend CX bike with an 11-26 cassette in back and skinny-ass 700x32 Kenda Smallblock 8s on it.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •