mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Where is the 650b Karate Monkey!?

KM frame design but for 650b. Anyone else? Seems like it would be the best bike ever invented. I bet they have one in the pipeline and aren't telling us, right? oooh, i hope so. Mini-Monkey? Baby Monkey....how about Ninja Turtle, oh wait, that's taken....

mtbr member
    The 1x1 can take 650b wheels.
    Ride more!

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by asphaltdude View Post
    The 1x1 can take 650b wheels.
    I havenít found wheels the 1x1 cannot take, with the exception of 36er wheels. 700c, 24", 26", 29"óno problems in clearance/fitment, even with the 24"x2.5" and 26"x2.5" Surly Large Marges.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mwv
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    29 and 700 are the same thing and is larger in diameter than 650b so you can just put the 650s on there no problems....am I missing something?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mwv View Post
    29 and 700 are the same thing and is larger in diameter than 650b so you can just put the 650s on there no problems....am I missing something?
    Sorta, kinda. BB height is a factor too. KM is already on the low side; smaller wheels would make it worse. No personal experience, but I think the group consensus is that 1x1/Troll is the better 650B bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Since the Troll has all the same clearance and geometry as the 1x1, I'd pop some 650b wheels in that. That's provided you wanted the gear option of the KM. I personally run 26" wheels shod with some Conti Trail King 2.4's that are pretty darn tall and wide, high volume carcass, and reasonable weight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I think it is sitting next to my cross check disc model I am waiting for them to come out with. I would love for a 650b KM, but then again I would settle for a new KM frame size 18 in black but looks like I will be waiting till sept.. If only you could get Surley frames raw so you could pick your own poor taste paint colors that nobody else would like...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I guess I don't see the appeal. What feature of the KM are you looking to have in a 650b package? The number one thing that set the KM apart was that when it was introducted, it was pretty much the only production 29er you could get that didn't say 'Gary Fisher' on the side. That, of course, is completely OBE at this point. The second thing is the bent seat tube design that allowed them to shorten up the chainstays. That's a 29er-specific feature to shorten the wheelbase and sharpen the handling. Do you need that on a 650b? Do you really even want that on a 650b? Is the desire for a 650b KM just about the name and maybe the esthetic? Because, really the 1x1 does 650b just fine. In fact, on this very board, in the 650b forum, Kirk Pacenti himself wrote that the 1x1 rolls on 650b wheel like it was designed for it. I wish I could find the link; would take a lot of searching the archives.

mtbr member
    Why monkey around with perfection? It's built like a tank, fun to ride, and not very expensive. I just don't see why 650 would be an improvement, but if there's enough of a market for it I'm sure they'd start taking orders

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big N Hood Rich View Post
    I think it is sitting next to my cross check disc model I am waiting for them to come out with.
    I believe the LHT disc is a test the waters for a disc CC. If the LHT goes well we should see a disc CC soon.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    El, I know you are tired of hearing this....Surly already makes what you want-> it's called a troll.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    He doesn't like that answer, that's why he's asking the same question in a different sub forum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I havenít found wheels the 1x1 cannot take, with the exception of 36er wheels.
    I don't think you're trying hard enough. Get back out there, son.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Train View Post
    KM frame design but for 650b. Anyone else? Seems like it would be the best bike ever invented.
    It's called the 1x1 and the Troll...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    "Leopold" I fit 26x3.0 gadzalookies on my 1x1 as well. 35 mm rims, rigid front fork, back wheel in the middle of the rear dropout.