mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Wheelset for a KM

Love my new Monkey, but looking to get some better hubs & wheels.

Currently it's a stock 2013 build with the Surly hubs.

Has anyone here gone full tilt and built up wheels with Chris King hubs and Stans rims? I'm wondering what that got you and what that price point looked like.

Inquiring minds.

mtbr member
    I currently have Hope Pro 2's laced to Velocity Blunts and have had them on various bikes I've owned. Pretty much bomb-proof.

mtbr member
    A friend of mine runs CK hubs, DT Comps and Stan's Flows. Terrific wheelset, no doubt about that.

After reading too negative comments about CK hubs I decided to give Fixie Inc. a chance: their Kick-Flip and One Hour in Hell -hubs (rear and front respectively) were exactly what I was looking for in terms of price and positive comments from fellow riders. My wheels are built with these hubs, DT Comp spokes and Stan's Crest hoops with Polyax aluminum nipples. The set weighs 1650 grams and was a vast improvement over my previous wheels (Surly hubs and DT TK540 rims) in terms of weight and width (19 -> 21 mm), plus it's tubeless now.

Comparing the two wheelsets mine are not as stiff, but that's due to the rims (Flow vs. Crest), and they cost a lot less. I got a pair of Fixie Inc. hubs for less than just the CK front and really can't imagine what else I'd need. For more contact points on the freewheel side I'd look at Hope Trials hubs. In my opinion Chris King offers a vanity advantage and envious looks more than any practical advantage on the trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Great feedback! Thanks!

I'll take a look at Fixie & Hope.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Take rims as wide as possible (e.g. Velocity P35 or Salsa Gordo) and ride 2,4" tires with *low* pressure. Thats the secret of riding rigid but get some help by the "rubber suspension"

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    After reading too negative comments about CK hubs I decided to give Fixie Inc. a chance: their Kick-Flip and One Hour in Hell -hubs (rear and front respectively) were exactly what I was looking for in terms of price and positive comments from fellow riders.
    If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy your Fixie Inc. hubs? Their stuff looks really interesting, but I'm coming up short on retailers (especially in the US).

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I ran a DT 240/Flow wheel set on my Karate Monkey. Never had a single issue in three years. About to build a set of White Industry MI6 hubs with Velocity Blunt SL rims for my Ogre. Lots of good choices out there other than King and I9(and Stans for that matter).

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I had my LBS build me a set of Flows on CK hubs, with tires and labor it came to right around $800 I think?

What surprised me was he doesn't charge labor- just parts. That is one of the many reasons I love my LBS

Edit: I also have Hope hubs on a set he built for my Big Dummy. I like them as well, but I don't have longterm reliability reports for either CK or Hope Hubs. Whenever the Rabbit Hole rim hits, I'm going to have a Rabbit Hole up front, and something wide out back, with Hope Hubs, for my Ogre

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i have salsa gordo rims laced to xt hubs, heavy and bombproof, currently using 2.2 nevegals which spread out nice and wide, usually run at 20psi, now transferred to my son's ogre

i also have velocity p35 rims laced to chris king hubs, slightly lighter than the gordos, currently on my karate monkey, but might soon try this out on a krampus frame with knard tires, if the knard tires will fit the rims

generally, wide 35mm rims run with low pressure are a blast to ride esp for full-rigid 29ers like the karate monkey or ogre
    biker boy

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    I had my LBS build me a set of Flows on CK hubs, with tires and labor it came to right around $800 I think?
    My LBS is talking right at $1000 for the CK hubs with Flows. Maybe I can get them down a bit more.

I'm still leaning toward the CK/Stan's Flows. I'll make up my mind in the next week and post pics.

BTW - Question 2: What tires? I ride mainly singletrack in the same place everyday/week. Not much change expected on that end. Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keevohn View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy your Fixie Inc. hubs? Their stuff looks really interesting, but I'm coming up short on retailers (especially in the US).

Thanks!
    I got them from this German shop: Only Highend

Three orders so far and no complaints. Helpful responses to e-mails and speedy shipping.
    Last edited by Saul Lumikko; 11-21-2012 at 06:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by haloblue View Post
    My LBS is talking right at $1000 for the CK hubs with Flows. Maybe I can get them down a bit more.

I'm still leaning toward the CK/Stan's Flows. I'll make up my mind in the next week and post pics.

BTW - Question 2: What tires? I ride mainly singletrack in the same place everyday/week. Not much change expected on that end. Any recommendations?
    Well, it depends where you ride, you'll get some very different recommendations. I ride a lot of really rocky and rooty technical stuff so I have a Specialized Purgatory 2.3 up front and a 2.2 Spec Captain in the rear. Seems to work ok enough for me

mtbr member
    I am really enjoying my Crest rims, but I think i should have bought Arch EX rims for a little extra strength. I love CK products but the hubs are not very user-friendly for service unless you have their very expensive tool. the Stans 3.30 hubs are very easy to work on, engage perfectly, and are quite light. they are also customize-able: I bought the oversized endcaps for mine and put a rear 10mm and front 9mm thru axle from Hadley in mine and they are even stiffer now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Well, it depends where you ride, you'll get some very different recommendations. I ride a lot of really rocky and rooty technical stuff so I have a Specialized Purgatory 2.3 up front and a 2.2 Spec Captain in the rear.
    Same here. I'm in GA, and live about 2 miles from Blankets Creek. Roots & rocks are a mainstay. I'll take a look at the Specialized, but would love more recommendations as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Ended up going with Stans Flows and the Kings. Kept the stock tires as they only had 20 miles on them. Dropped it off with the local place today. I'll post pics when I get it back.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have the Stans Flows on Kings for my Monkey, it is a fantastic ride. (Good: I bought a complete bike with these wheels pretty cheaply on ebay, so didn't have to worry much about cost vs cheaper options. Bad: now I have expensive taste in wheels...)

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Got it back yesterday. Alpha Bikes in Alpharetta, GA built up the wheels. Awesome group of people.

Changed the bike completely. Didn't think it would have that much impact.

Wheelset for a KM-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353506076.181032.jpg

Wheelset for a KM-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353506091.614381.jpg

Wheelset for a KM-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353506108.414332.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Got it back yesterday. Alpha Bikes in Alpharetta, GA built up the wheels. Awesome group of people.
    Spoke washers! Great looking wheels

mtbr member
    Changed the bike completely. Didn't think it would have that much impact.
    We never do until we do.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Beautiful wheels! The bike looks amazing on them and I'm sure it rides amazing. I would suggest some good hydraulic discs to complete the package, SO much nicer feel and power than BB7s! I want to ride your bike.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

Industry Vet
    Jul 2012
    Is there a US distributor for the Fixie Inc hubs?

mtbr member
    Fixie Inc. is no longer in business and Only-Highend are selling their remaining stock of the hubs at a 25% discount. They ship worldwide so it might be worth asking for a shipping quote. You might get a good deal even with the shipping cost.