mtbr member
    Dec 2008

What's the heavy on your Monkey?

My trusty skidmark brown Monkey weighed in at 28.2 lbs last night...it's got some big cojones!

Set up: 20" frame, 3x9, Hussefelt cranks, 36 spoke DT Swiss rims running Vulpine 2.1s, Shimano 545s, and everything else is fairly standard alloy/alu.

How heavy are the other Monkey's here, and what's your set up?

Is it possible to set up a sub-25 lb geared Monkey without going apesh**t on overpriced weight weenie parts???

Was thinking of converting to 1x9, running 38s and slapping on that Cromoto fork but my calcs say i won't hit it.

Nuts
    http://archive.mtbr.com/02/0EFE492D.php

It's old but it will give you some ideas.
    And I love beer!!

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by VeloCruzer
    My trusty skidmark brown Monkey weighed in at 28.2 lbs last night...it's got some big cojones!

Set up: 20" frame, 3x9, Hussefelt cranks, 36 spoke DT Swiss rims running Vulpine 2.1s, Shimano 545s, and everything else is fairly standard alloy/alu.

How heavy are the other Monkey's here, and what's your set up?

Is it possible to set up a sub-25 lb geared Monkey without going apesh**t on overpriced weight weenie parts???

Was thinking of converting to 1x9, running 38s and slapping on that Cromoto fork but my calcs say i won't hit it.
    It's possible with the rigid fork, but what exactly is your definition of "apesh**t on overpriced weight weenie parts"? $1000? $2000? $3000?

Wheels, tires, pedals, drive train, rotors, bar, post, saddle, grips, etc.... can all be had in lighter varieties and get you sub-25, but there is a price attached to playing that game.

Throw your ideas in a spreadsheet. Plug and play various components and see the total weight at the end of the column adjust as you add, substitute, play around with various combinations of components.

I'm riding an XL KM with the rigid fork SS with light wheels, heavy tires, heavy pedals, heavy bar, heavy grips and it comes out at 24 lbs. even. I'd say a size L or XL fully geared without breaking the bank could be built more realistically in the 25 - 27 lbs. range. You'll have to tap deeper into the bank account to go sub 25 if buying new components for a fully geared KM.

Here's my size XL KM set up for XC racing with a Middleburn Duo 2 x 9 crankset and using V brakes. It weighs sub 24 (right at 23.9 or so) when set up like this. But I think we're talking around $2K for that set up when I got it all.

KMPostIowaGames2

BB

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    It's possible with the rigid fork, but what exactly is your definition of "apesh**t on overpriced weight weenie parts"? $1000? $2000? $3000? BB
    Nice setup you got there.

Apesh**t to me is over investing in the frame. Let's see, the KM frameset is about $400, I've got about $600 worth of components on it. So, for me, spending anything over 30% or $300 just upgrading my existing bits to lighter ones is over investing. If say I need to spend 500 clam shells to get to sub 25 lbs then I'd rather just lose the extra pair of Schwalbes I'm carrying around my waist and apply the savings to a new Pacer frameset. That's just me though, just tryin to keep it real in these interesting times...

Like I said, nice set up, and it gives me a good idea of what it takes to put the Monkey on the Atkins diet.

Devo
    KM
    Pacer
    1x9
    38's
    ???

where are we going with this?
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

Just Ride!
    My size 20 Monkey weighs in just below the 28lbs mark using my trusty bathroom scale.

Setup:
    20 Monkey Frame/Fork
    17 degree Salsa flat bar/Controltech stem
    Wheels: A317 36 hole Shimano M545 hubs(Off Jensonusa's site)
    LX Cranks(Octalinlink)
    BB7/Roundagon rotors
    XT 8spd cassete/9spd front/rear derailleur
    TRP brake levers/ XT 8spd shifters
    Tires: steel bead Nanoraptors
    Chain: 8spd sram chain
    Seatpost: FSA FR270/ Bontrager FS +10 cromo saddle
    XT pedals

Rode the beast yesterday after resurrecting it from a long hiatus and I must say it rides like a 24 lbs skinny bike. Well, my main ride is a Pug so that could be a factor.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    With my SS setup instead of the NuVinci hub, my bike comes in right at 28.0 lbs:
    - 20" KM Frame
    - 100mm G2-offset F29 Fork
    - Pink Chris King headset (not by choice, but the top-cap does say "PRETTY and STRONG")
    - Bontrager Rhythm Comp wheelset
    - Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 SS front tire
    - Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25 rear tire (both with tubes for the moment)
    - Bontrager Race Lite cranks and bashguard
    - Surly stainless 32T chainwheel
    - Surly cassette spacers and 22T stainless cog
    - Shimano PD-M540 pedals
    - Bontrager seatpost (Rig parts kit initially, so whatever was on the Rig that year)
    - WTB seat (can't remember which kind, I think Laser V or something)
    - Specialized 80mm stem
    - On-One Mary handlebars
    - Oury MTB grips
    - BB7s with Speed Dial levers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's the heavy on your Monkey?-photo.jpg  

"I applaud your stupid idea because it is genius." - Eric Sovern, Surly

mtbr member
    Mine is 22.4 pounds(without bottles and bottle cage when I weighed it)

Karate Monkey S sized
    Karate Monkey fork
    Chris King NoThreadSet
    Thomson stem, seatpost and seatclamp
    Salsa Pro Moto bar (uncut)
    Magura Louise Carbon w/ Hope Floating Rotors 160mm
    Fizik Gobi XM w/Kium rails
    Middleburn rs7 cranks w/ SKF Stainless steel BB
    KMC X9
    XTR Race spd pedals
    Racing Ralphs 2.4 w/ghetto + Stan's sealant
    R: Hadley 7.0 rear hub laced to Salsa Semi w/Dt Rev spokes. Hope rear steel QR
    F: a2z front hub laced to Salsa Semi w/Dt Rev spokes. KCNC front ti QR
    32-20 gearing

Here is a picture of it taken at a muddy 31 mile XC race. I got 27th out of 500+ riders. It was raining throughout the whole course, but the monkey kept going