Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bmw
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

What's with the 132.5 spacing on the Cross-Check?

The site says so you can run road or mtb hubs. But the frame doesn't have disc brake mounts so why would you want to run mtb hubs? If you're building from leftovers and have a mtb wheelset it's not going to have brake tracks needed for the rim brakes. There's got to be something clever here that is going over my head.

dying hurts.
    versality, breh.
    it's what surly is all about.
    and since when do "leftover mtb wheelsets" not have brake tracks?

mtbr member
    Not all mtb wheels are disc only. I used xt hubs when i built mine for the better seals (and price). The new ones come stock with deore hubs too.

mtbr member
    I really appreciate the "gnot-rite" spaceing on mine. It lets me run just about any 700c wheelset I have banging around my garage.
    Looking for an XL steel frame, cheapish with shortish chainstays. Whatcha got?
    My blog about bikes and playgrounds.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Amen to versatility - the CC's forte. The flexibility in the steel stays allow for the 'tweener spacing, so why not? CCs can be built up anyway you want - roadie, trailbike, single speed, fixie, racer, commuter, tourer. Maximum hub choice is nice.

CS2
    mtbr member
    You can still use disc hubs without using disc brakes as long as you rim brake rims. Good luck
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

dying hurts.
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    You can still use disc hubs without using disc brakes as long as you rim brake rims. Good luck
    or you can use regular 135mm non-disc mountain hubs.....

mtbr member
    You can use a flipped disc hub with a bolt-on cog for fixed riding.

bmw
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    thanks guys, these are things I didn't think of...

non-disc mtn hubs, rim brake mtb wheelsets, bolt-on fixed cogs

I guess those aren't common setups but that is why they call it versatile.

dying hurts.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw View Post
    non-disc mtn hubs, rim brake mtb wheelsets...
    since when?

mtbr member
    Shimano no longer makes XT non-disc hubs. They still make Deore and LX.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Why not just use XT centerlock hubs without the rotors? Am I missing something?

mtbr member

?

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Again??? View Post
    Why not just use XT centerlock hubs without the rotors? Am I missing something?
    Yes--aesthetics!
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    Yes--aesthetics!
    And I thought I was the only one who cared. It's getting tougher to find high quality 135mm hubs without disc mounts. Which explains why Surly used 132.5 spacing. There is no shortage of 130mm high end road hubs.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    And I thought I was the only one who cared. It's getting tougher to find high quality 135mm hubs without disc mounts. Which explains why Surly used 132.5 spacing. There is no shortage of 130mm high end road hubs.
    Surly has been using the "gnot right" spacing for years. I think the idea was to make the bike as versatile as possible and easier to build up with spare parts. But yeah, it's getting harder to find those hubs. Or rather, cheaper ones. Hight end 135mm hubs from Paul and Phil Wood are still available but those hubs cost as much as a Surly frame. XT hubs were a great deal.

Years ago, Grant Petersen at Rivendell Bike Works talked about wanting to produce a 132.5mm rear hub that could be used in 130mm or 135mm spaced frames.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    It's worth noting that other makes, like Cotic, have been doing this for ages as well, taking advantage of the "one size up or down" advantages of steel and 132.5mm spacing, for the same reasons mentioned by dfltroll.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    In my experience, you gotta run a pretty strong QR if you try to use road hubs on the Cross Check. I had problems with the rear wheel pulling out of the dropouts when I tried to run 130mm hubs. Horizontal dropouts plus 132.5mm spacing and a 130mm hub is not a good combo in my opinion. Sometimes versatility comes at a price.

dying hurts.
    i ran an ultegra rear hub for about 3yrs on my old xcheck....never had it slip once.
    i weigh 260, so i wasn't exactly easy on it either.....

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    In my experience, you gotta run a pretty strong QR if you try to use road hubs on the Cross Check. I had problems with the rear wheel pulling out of the dropouts when I tried to run 130mm hubs. Horizontal dropouts plus 132.5mm spacing and a 130mm hub is not a good combo in my opinion. Sometimes versatility comes at a price.
    You should be able to use extra spacers on the axle to get it at 132.5mm That way the QR isn't doing all the work. Or you could just get a replacement axle for a 135mm MTB and space it at 135mm either way will work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've had my CC, with a 105 rear hub, for almost a year now with no rear wheel slipping problems. I also weight about 260 (maybe a little more with Christmas here and all ), and I hammer out-of-the-saddle pretty hard going up hills. Shimano QR skewers are pretty good. I like the internal cams. Maybe that's why I don't have problems. But really, any decent skewer should hold, as long as you put it on properly (imprint on your hand, and all that).

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    Shimano no longer makes XT non-disc hubs. They still make Deore and LX.
    But PLEASE, people, PLEASE avoid the Deore M525 rear hubs unless you don’t mind having the freewheel seize up or fail while you are riding.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

dying hurts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    But PLEASE, people, PLEASE avoid the Deore M525 rear hubs unless you don’t mind having the freewheel seize up or fail while you are riding.
    i hear this a lot but i myself, as well as several folks i know have these hubs and have had zero problems. maybe there was a bad batch. i've built many wheel sets up using this hub, and have had nothing but success.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny the boy View Post
    i hear this a lot but i myself, as well as several folks i know have these hubs and have had zero problems. maybe there was a bad batch. i've built many wheel sets up using this hub, and have had nothing but success.
    I’ve been on two rides with friends whose M525 hubs failed on the ride. First rider was trying to ride up a not-so-steep 10% grade and the hub was acting as if the chain was skipping, so he had to walk it up the rest of the way (and limp back home). The other rider had just completed 1,500 feet of climbing, and was making his way up a roughly 28% grade when all of a sudden the bike made a sound as if the chain was breaking… within a few minutes we’d concluded his bike had transformed into a fixed-hub multi-geared bike. Fortunately he was able to ride the 20 miles back home.

In both of my instances, first one was on a Surly Big Dummy cargobike, and it started the chain skipping simulation up a slight incline (roughly 7% grade), and the second instance was on my Surly Pugsley when the thing just pretty much exploded (no power to the rear wheel WHATSOEVER)—I had to walk my bike home. (relaced the wheel to a Hope II Pro hub and have never looked back)
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw View Post
    thanks guys, these are things I didn't think of...

non-disc mtn hubs, rim brake mtb wheelsets, bolt-on fixed cogs

Exactly. Cross checks come set up pretty standard as complete bikes but custom builds are all over the place. Surly makes some of the only production frames that make these
    Unorthodox builds possible.

mtbr member
    The Cross Check picture thread is a true testament to how versatile the frame really is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast