Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What's with the 132.5 spacing on the Cross-Check?

13K views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  girlonbike 
#1 ·
The site says so you can run road or mtb hubs. But the frame doesn't have disc brake mounts so why would you want to run mtb hubs? If you're building from leftovers and have a mtb wheelset it's not going to have brake tracks needed for the rim brakes. There's got to be something clever here that is going over my head.

#5 ·
Amen to versatility - the CC's forte. The flexibility in the steel stays allow for the 'tweener spacing, so why not? CCs can be built up anyway you want - roadie, trailbike, single speed, fixie, racer, commuter, tourer. Maximum hub choice is nice.

#17 ·
In my experience, you gotta run a pretty strong QR if you try to use road hubs on the Cross Check. I had problems with the rear wheel pulling out of the dropouts when I tried to run 130mm hubs. Horizontal dropouts plus 132.5mm spacing and a 130mm hub is not a good combo in my opinion. Sometimes versatility comes at a price.

#19 ·
You should be able to use extra spacers on the axle to get it at 132.5mm That way the QR isn't doing all the work. Or you could just get a replacement axle for a 135mm MTB and space it at 135mm either way will work.

#20 ·
I've had my CC, with a 105 rear hub, for almost a year now with no rear wheel slipping problems. I also weight about 260 (maybe a little more with Christmas here and all :D), and I hammer out-of-the-saddle pretty hard going up hills. Shimano QR skewers are pretty good. I like the internal cams. Maybe that's why I don't have problems. But really, any decent skewer should hold, as long as you put it on properly (imprint on your hand, and all that).

#29 ·
My cross check is 12 years old and was originally built when rim brakes were still an every day sight on the trails; so it makes sense why they'd just keep around the versatility of the 132.5 drop spacing. Cross checks really haven't changed all that much since mine (well 1 1/8 threadless, cable mount differences and tubing changes).

I'm hoping one day they'll come out with a disc cc so I can upgrade!

#31 ·
My cross check is 12 years old and was originally built when rim brakes were still an every day sight on the trails; so it makes sense why they'd just keep around the versatility of the 132.5 drop spacing. Cross checks really haven't changed all that much since mine (well 1 1/8 threadless, cable mount differences and tubing changes).

I'm hoping one day they'll come out with a disc cc so I can upgrade!
Ooh, do you have the first generation threaded headset cross check? Could you post a picture or a link to one? Thanks!

#30 ·
Having the 132.5mm spacing means I can use my old American Classic 130mm road wheel in the trainer while my Check is stuck indoors till the spring and keep my Dt Swiss 340 (135mm spacing) in storage. For whatever reason, my trainer eats hub bearings and I'd rather not rebuild the hub if it can be avoided. It'll also be helpful in the spring when I build up an Ogre and be able to swap the wheels between the two bikes depending on what I want to do without having to worry about incompatible parts.

#33 ·
Very nice. I thought I saw a navy blue CC a few years ago in Syracuse, but they were going the other way and I didn't get a good look at it.

My experience with the 132.5mm spacing has been pretty good so far with a 130mm Ultegra hub and skewer. You just need to make sure it's clamped down solid, more so than on a bike with vertical dropouts.

#34 ·
I like the looks of that threaded headset with the Salsa stem.

I've also used a road hub in a 132.5 spaced Cross Check. No slipping but yeah, you kind of need to clamp it on tight which you should have learned a long time ago before those damned lawyer tabs got people to not pay for that mistake. ;) FWIW, those cheap Shimano skewers are awesome.

Here's more info on the history of skewers with a nice reference to a Sheldon Brown page regarding the same: Black Mountain Cycles: Quick, release...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.