Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I should be getting my cross check soon and I'm not sure what hub I'm going to use yet. I like options

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    There are spacers available to widen a hubs width. This may work better on solid axles than skewer type axles.

dying hurts.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpson4130 View Post
    I should be getting my cross check soon and I'm not sure what hub I'm going to use yet. I like options
    XT 6 bolt disc.

I <3 dirt
    My cross check is 12 years old and was originally built when rim brakes were still an every day sight on the trails; so it makes sense why they'd just keep around the versatility of the 132.5 drop spacing. Cross checks really haven't changed all that much since mine (well 1 1/8 threadless, cable mount differences and tubing changes).

I'm hoping one day they'll come out with a disc cc so I can upgrade!
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Having the 132.5mm spacing means I can use my old American Classic 130mm road wheel in the trainer while my Check is stuck indoors till the spring and keep my Dt Swiss 340 (135mm spacing) in storage. For whatever reason, my trainer eats hub bearings and I'd rather not rebuild the hub if it can be avoided. It'll also be helpful in the spring when I build up an Ogre and be able to swap the wheels between the two bikes depending on what I want to do without having to worry about incompatible parts.
    Alea Jacta Est

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    My cross check is 12 years old and was originally built when rim brakes were still an every day sight on the trails; so it makes sense why they'd just keep around the versatility of the 132.5 drop spacing. Cross checks really haven't changed all that much since mine (well 1 1/8 threadless, cable mount differences and tubing changes).

I'm hoping one day they'll come out with a disc cc so I can upgrade!
    Ooh, do you have the first generation threaded headset cross check? Could you post a picture or a link to one? Thanks!

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by ecodoug View Post
    Ooh, do you have the first generation threaded headset cross check? Could you post a picture or a link to one? Thanks!
    It was a navy blue but the paint was falling off so I had it powder coated last winter.

WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Very nice. I thought I saw a navy blue CC a few years ago in Syracuse, but they were going the other way and I didn't get a good look at it.

My experience with the 132.5mm spacing has been pretty good so far with a 130mm Ultegra hub and skewer. You just need to make sure it's clamped down solid, more so than on a bike with vertical dropouts.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    I like the looks of that threaded headset with the Salsa stem.

I've also used a road hub in a 132.5 spaced Cross Check. No slipping but yeah, you kind of need to clamp it on tight which you should have learned a long time ago before those damned lawyer tabs got people to not pay for that mistake. FWIW, those cheap Shimano skewers are awesome.

Here's more info on the history of skewers with a nice reference to a Sheldon Brown page regarding the same: Black Mountain Cycles: Quick, release...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2