RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

What size Pugsley for a 5ft 9in rider with a 30-31 inch inseam??

Looking to get one but not sure of the size. I currently ride a medium Mojo SL. I tend to fit well on bikes with a 23" tt. I also hear that Pugs tend to be on the bigger side as well. thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm a little shorter than you but a comparable inseam, and I went 16". That is a 22.9" effective top tube according to the Surly site. That is a longer effective top tube than my 54cm LHT

edit: they've changed the frame actually so I don't know if the geometry on that page reflects the new more slanted top tube or not, although I also don't know if the more slanted top tube affects the effective top tube length ...

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    Hey RPG...I'm 5'9" (almost 6') and with a 32" (823 mm on my LBS instead of 811 mm in reality)...and I'm waiting for my 18" pugs right now!...what I did was to compare every dimmension with my actual 18" MTB, which I'm confortable with...TT result the same... and most of it result similar...only the SO on the pugs was a litlle bit higher than on my MTB (the website says exactly 32" or 811mm)...so as in reality I'm not exactly 32" and I have to add what my shoes rise me..I think I'll be ok...

Regards,

Martin

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    Geometry can be found on the 2009 catalog in the Downloads section in the website...just if you are going to buy a 09 frameset...regards..Martin

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    hey..is it me or the 2010 catalog is unreadable?...regards...Martin

mtbr member
    im 5ft 11" ,32 inside leg and ride a medium,170 cranks and 90mm stem,you would proberly be ok with the new 2010 medium 18" as it has the lowerd top tube,remmember the pugsley is an allday explorer/tourer type bike so you proberly want comfort and room,i ride medium normal mtbs as a comparison
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'll be looking at new and used. So for a new one, it seems I would be a medium, per the website. What about the older design? Did they just lower the standover on the newer design? Thanks for all of your help.

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    I read they just lower the TT and that everything else remain the same... I think they had not change the geo on the website so we may have to wait till they do it to confirm..regards..Martin

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    im 5'10.5" and ride a 20" large as the seatpost-headset distance is far smaller on a pug when compared to my 18" 29er. a medium just wasnt an option considering i ride long distances on it.