mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Weight difference between Orge and Karate Monkey?

so i am noticing that these two have the same geometry, but different tube thickness and mounts. what are the frame weights? with or without fork.

size small if it makes a difference or what ever your info is i can extrapolate.

CS2
    mtbr member
    I had no idea they had different tube diameters. No idea why weights aren't post on their site.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    I had no idea they had different tube diameters. No idea why weights aren't post on their site.
    Diameters are the same, the tube thickness is different. Ogre is thicker for more load bearing ability, and KM is lighter for more lofty singletrack action.

No specific weights on hand, sorry.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

cut an pasted off the Surly site. . .

Frame: 20˝ = 2.7kg (5lb 15oz); Fork (uncut): 1.2kg (2lb 10oz) OGRE

No listing for the KM that I can see

mtbr member
    2010 Karate Monkey specs: 5.5lbs for the frame and 2.6lbs for the (uncut) fork.

ETA: for a 20" frame

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    5.9375 - 5.5000= .4375lbs or 7oz. or 198.447g.

both forks are the same weight. 2.6lbs

so with only essentially with half a pound difference in frame, it is the same bike, with the orge having more mounting options and being stiffer.

seems extremely redundant. the karate monkey although a popular seller is far from a race machine. making it slightly more supple is the difference in 3-5 psi tire pressure.

marketed as a long distance single speed? whats the angle?

is there something i am missing? or is surly getting rid of the karate monkey next year?

I Ride for Donuts
    As I understand it the Ogre is just all about versitility with the same proven geometry... touring, racks, loaded, unloaded, with whatever configuration / utility options you might want. I think the 'angle' is the versitility you gain because of the mounting options and being stiffer.

If I was just looking for a mountian bike frame, I would have gone with the Karate Monkey. But I wanted a commuter/tourer/mountian bike/singlespeed/geared/kid hauler/zombie killer/bikepack/dirt/paved/trail/fire road machine. Clearly, a few braze-ons make the difference.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)