mtbr member

Upgrading my CC drivetrain

I have a CrossCheck that I truly love. It is my go-to bike for just about everything. I have had custom 29er SS, dual suspensions, and hardtail MTB's but this CC is my favorite of all time. I have her set up for riding the road and just by putting my Nitto Campee racks on, she can be used as a tourer. I want to swap out the bars to a Dirt Drop type set-up and also change the drive-train to a touring, mtb type set-up. I was thinking LX or XT rear but what derailleur for the front? Also, what cranks work best for the touring set-up. As for the Dirt Drop type bars, I am thinking WoodChipper or something like that. I do not want to break the bank so what is the most cost effective way to get these upgrades done. Also, I will be putting some really wide Schwalbe Marathons on her so that she will be able to handle a wide range of surfaces. I am really going to make her my do-everything bike. Just need a little advice. Thanks. I will post before and after pics when I am done.
    Last edited by taterbug; 06-04-2012 at 08:18 AM.
    Currently reviewing an Ibex Maroc 29er

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    You can just get a wider bottom bracket and add a granny gear to the factory crankset. If you don't like that, then go to Velo Orange and get one of his triple cranks. Stock front derailer should be fine. I have a Deore rear derailer on mine, but the factory one lasted 4 years of 200 mile weeks. I have woodchippers on one bike and they are a good choice, just make sure you cut 1.5 or 2 inches from the barends before you mount the shifters or you'll be shifting with your knees. I also have the origin 8 bars on a couple bikes- they are great off road in the drops, but you can't really use the hoods for cruising.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by c_m_shooter View Post
    You can just get a wider bottom bracket and add a granny gear to the factory crankset. If you don't like that, then go to Velo Orange and get one of his triple cranks. Stock front derailer should be fine. I have a Deore rear derailer on mine, but the factory one lasted 4 years of 200 mile weeks. I have woodchippers on one bike and they are a good choice, just make sure you cut 1.5 or 2 inches from the barends before you mount the shifters or you'll be shifting with your knees. I also have the origin 8 bars on a couple bikes- they are great off road in the drops, but you can't really use the hoods for cruising.
    I really don't want to break the bank and have been looking around. The LX gruppo seems as if it would work great. The Velo-Orange stuff is a little more pricey than I want to go. The Midge bar may be one way to go as well. Choices, choices!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Sounds like you're doing a build similar to my own. I've gone with a Deore HG50 11-34t 9 speed cassette, VO 48-36-24 triple crank. Deore rear derailleur and Sora front. These are working great with down tube shifters. I've put 40mm Schwalbe Dureme's on Velocity Dyad rims. You might want to look a Salsa's Cowbell bar, I find it comfortable, and it's flare is a lot more subtle than other dirt drop bars.

Now I'm just waiting for a saddle a seat post to arrive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by taterbug View Post
    I really don't want to break the bank and have been looking around. The LX gruppo seems as if it would work great. The Velo-Orange stuff is a little more pricey than I want to go. The Midge bar may be one way to go as well. Choices, choices!!!!!!!!
    Have you been veloorange.com lately? Chris has the VO triple on sale for $100. If you need a new crankset, that's a pretty good price for one that nice. For a front derailer, just get whatever matchs your crankset. There's not that much difference in performance between the high end ones and the low ends ones, especially for friction shifting. For a read derailer, LX is great. Deore works great too. Good luck and have fun with the conversion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    Have you been veloorange.com lately? Chris has the VO triple on sale for $100. If you need a new crankset, that's a pretty good price for one that nice. For a front derailer, just get whatever matchs your crankset. There's not that much difference in performance between the high end ones and the low ends ones, especially for friction shifting. For a read derailer, LX is great. Deore works great too. Good luck and have fun with the conversion.
    I think I am just a little heavy to chance running a square taper crank. But I amy look at it one more time. I have already ordered my Marathon Mondial 700x40's. I will probably get a Junebug H-bar and some tan tape to match my Brooks honey B17. Then, I start on the drive train

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think I am just a little heavy to chance running a square taper crank.
    Too heavy for a square taper BB? Never heard of that before. I weigh 250 lbs and have been riding square taper cranks for more than 10 years without issue. But I don't race, or tour Africa, or do anything particularly extreme.

I will probably get a Junebug H-bar and some tan tape to match my Brooks honey B17.
    Good look!

mtbr member
    Too heavy for a square taper BB? Never heard of that before. I weigh 250 lbs and have been riding square taper cranks for more than 10 years without issue. But I don't race, or tour Africa, or do anything particularly extreme.

Good look!
    I don't do too much extreme. I am at 270 and have ruined an older RF crank that was square tapered. Maybe I will give it a try.

CS2
    mtbr member

Good look!
    +1 I'm 140 lbs and ride a square taper. No problems here either.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.